Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What they DON'T tell you II

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 08:22 PM
strtarrow
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If my bike did not vibrate I would worry about it. Then again I got it used with 17k on the clock. I haven't seen the need to do any engine mods and when I do it will be gear driven cams.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:23 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 284 Likes on 215 Posts

Trade it or sell it and buy a new or used one and keep it stock. You've got a lot of upgrades and to undo them would be costly. You may find someone who wants the build you had done, and try to recoup some of your investment. - Maybe you can strike a deal with someone who has a stock bike, and figure out a trade. I'd start with Craigslist and see what happens.

Sucks that your mods are making the bike uncomfortable for you. I wish you luck.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
You've got a good point. Leaving the motorcycle stock is the best bet if you really enjoy long range riding. I guess if you want to modify, get ready to except VIBRATION and a LOT of it.
Nah, I've modified mine. No wicked, mind numbing, appendage zinging vibration. In fact it runs smoother, and cooler than stock. Cam lobe angles are not as steep stock so there is no valve chatter. Much more torque where you need it in a touring bike. A pleasure to drive.

It does idle just a tad rougher than when it was stock. I will take that though. Sounds more like a Harley anyway. If the OP feels like he has a case here, he should drag that dealer into court. Magnuson-Moss warranty act in hand. Otherwise not much point in complaining about it.

Last edited by Woollymonster; 10-06-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:31 PM
Big L
Road Warrior

Received 156 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
I would not have bought it if it didn't vibrate. It's a Harley!!! They vibrate!!! Enjoy it!!!!
Or he can find a young lady to ride and she will enjoy the vibrations!

Old 10-06-2011, 08:32 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
Nah, I've modified mine. No wicked, mind numbing, appendage zinging vibration. In fact it runs smoother, and cooler than stock. Cam lobe angles are not as steep stock so there is no valve chatter. Much more torque where you need it in a touring bike. A pleasure to drive.

It does idle just a tad rougher than when it was stock. I will take that though. Sounds more like a Harley anyway. If the OP feels like he has a case here, he should drag that dealer into court. Magnuson-Moss warranty act in hand.
Really don't think it's a factory issue . The bike ran smooth when i bought it. Im thinking cams and 10:-.1 compression did it. I dont think the crank and motor mounts are designed for modifications and keep the vibration at a min. We've got a lot of guys that ride harleys here and the ones that will admit it say the same thing. After the modifications the bike vibrated in excess .

Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't believe this is part 2 of the thread, well as I stated in part 1, I modify almost everything I buy and never have a problem. I plan to modify the bike I have now as soon as the warranty expires and I can get it to Fuel Moto, this past weekend I noticed a strange sound in the engine, and my first thoughts were "good, if it decides to break under warranty, I may be getting the mods a little sooner" lol, stock is not for me, its been a long two years.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:43 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

When talking about vibration, one often overlooked element is the tune. An advanced individual cylinder tune will knock down more vibration than you can imagine. I'm not claiming to discount the utility of balancing the crank, but a perfectly balanced rotating assembly in conjunction with an "unbalanced" tune will shake like a washing machine. This is another reason why I don't advocate the canned map method of tuning, almost all canned maps are basic, meaning both cylinders run off the same averaged map, instead of a custom map for each cylinder. I recently had to change headpipes due to damage, prior to the swap I had achieved a very good tune with the FM 2:1 headpipe installed and the vibration was very tame. As soon as I changed back to the OEM 2:1 headpipe (cat still in), I noticed an immediate increase in vibration, after the first adjustment to the map I could feel considerably less vibration, the after about 10 datalog sessions and map adjustments, the vibration was back down like it was with the FM pipe, nice and tame. Not sure what model bike you have but I would recommend a urethane front mount from either Glide-Pro or Sta-Bo, they both have a similar floating design and will last much longer than OEM mounts. The Sta-Bo claims to be somewhat tunable via shims and applied torque to modify the vibration wave and shift the residual vibration termination away from the mirrors and/or handlebars. I got the Glide-Pro front mount before the Sta-Bo mount was available, I'm happy with what I got now but when I need a new mount I'm going to try the Sta-Bo. Motor mounts will never fix the vibration but they will mask it for a while, until they wear out again, tuning is the solution in most cases, barring an unbalanced rotating assembly. Another consideration is the larger the displacement the more pronounced any existing vibration will be, proportionally. I'm sure my comments won't sit well with the budget minded hot rodders here, but it is what it is. You get out of it what you put into it and thats especially true when talking about tuning.

Old 10-06-2011, 08:48 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
Really don't think it's a factory issue . The bike ran smooth when i bought it. Im thinking cams and 10:-.1 compression did it. I dont think the crank and motor mounts are designed for modifications and keep the vibration at a min. We've got a lot of guys that ride harleys here and the ones that will admit it say the same thing. After the modifications the bike vibrated in excess .
Yeah, I'm one of those guys that ride Harley's. Not sure what your trying to say here but I would not have been able to put 800 miles on my Electra Glide this weekend if it vibrated as you have described. If it did, I would certainly "admit it".

You are welcome to ride it if you are ever in the Houston area.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

delete...

Old 10-06-2011, 09:02 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

delete...

Quick Reply: What they DON'T tell you II