Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of doing Money Bars and Painted fairing myself

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 PM
BuckeyeRider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mglax13
You can do it yourself. Give me your e-mail address and I'll send you a .pdf of install instructions for the handle bars that I got from a member here on the forum. It will give you an idea of what you're about to tackle. In terms of the fairing, I think you'll be fine. Invest the $50 in a service manual and you'll have nothing to worry about. I'm in the same boat as you, I'm mechanically inclined (but not sure I could handle building an engine just yet).

Tag for the video but would also like the PDF for install. Just ordered a few days ago.

tvanover2129wowway.com

thanks

Old 10-13-2011, 02:57 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deleted

Last edited by z71_fourwheelin; 10-14-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:20 PM
mike1158
Road Master

10" bars are stock on bat wing fairing models ... really?? do explain...
and with the angles the clutch would have to be pulled, not sure what this means as I would recommend new for both especially if your going 14" or 16" bars. i bought 10s as stated in my original post with thw brake you will just need a new upper line its cheaper then replacing the whole setup. there are two front brake lines??? also remember you need touring specific bars because of the bend n them. yeah i got it, thats why i bought PYO MOnkey Bagger Bars

Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Pull faring cap ,take a pic, pull outer ,take pic, pull switches take a pic , it helps a ton to see the routing of all the wires in the pics you take.
The inner faring is not hard to do, it just looks like a lot, the 10" bars would be cake , because you don't have to change the cables.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:28 PM
HD_Matt
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I just installed my 10" MBB's about a month ago. I'll start by saying how much I love them, and they are well worth the time. Strange how stock bars are 7.5" on the batwings, but his were 10" stock.

Anyways, I left my brake line stock on mine to see since i've heard it can be rerouted, but it did end up needing about +2. It was close but pushed up on my inner fairing and created a little gap at the bottom. (looked cheap). as for the clutch, I also needed a +4", you can just reroute it to the inside of the fairing but it doesn't look right in my opinion.

and last, definatly cut the stock sheathing on the wires and replace with shrink tubing. I know from experience. This may sound strange but I actually used some KY Jelly as lube to run the wires and it took no time.

Good luck man.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:53 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd definitely go with a +4 clutch cable. I'd go +2 on the brake. i wouldn't reroute outside of the fairing, it looks cheap. Plus get braided lines, looks much better. You don't need to pull the exhaust to pull the transmission cover. Just get a set of long ball allen wrenches. Put the tires up on a surface about 1" higher that the surface where you will put the jiffy stand on. The bike will lean over further and you can pull the cover without draining the oil.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 PM
mike1158
Road Master

Originally Posted by SG_Dave
I'd definitely go with a +4 clutch cable. I'd go +2 on the brake. i wouldn't reroute outside of the fairing, it looks cheap. Plus get braided lines, looks much better. You don't need to pull the exhaust to pull the transmission cover. Just get a set of long ball allen wrenches. Put the tires up on a surface about 1" higher that the surface where you will put the jiffy stand on. The bike will lean over further and you can pull the cover without draining the oil.
thanks for the tips man.... i have V&H dresser duals so i hope the tranny cover will come off like you siad..

ok..now, i'm not familiar with the term "long ball allen wrenches" i have the standard short 90* bent one and allen sockets.... do you mean long T-handle style wrenches?

Old 10-13-2011, 08:08 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Ball allen wrenches have a hexagon shaped head at.the end allowing it timber used at an angle.instead of.90 degrees

Old 10-13-2011, 08:11 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

I had the same thought s as you. I don't have the time or patience to do the install so om taking my.bike.to.the dealer tomorrow.for.the install 12 pyo inner fairing and chrome lowers. You.should adds the lowers of you are taking the faring.off

Old 10-13-2011, 08:11 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mike1158
thanks for the tips man.... i have V&H dresser duals so i hope the tranny cover will come off like you siad..

ok..now, i'm not familiar with the term "long ball allen wrenches" i have the standard short 90* bent one and allen sockets.... do you mean long T-handle style wrenches?
Go to harbor freight. They are allens with a ball on the end. Allows you work the wrench at an angle. Get the socket wrench type. You'll use them to remove your radio as well.

Quick Reply: Thinking of doing Money Bars and Painted fairing myself