Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide aka Evil Twin

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2011, 11:37 PM
Blackbird3
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great looking bike, love the color. Only correction I would make to your comments is that (while not a fan) the new BMW K1600gtl Does have road following head lamps! Not sure I would spend 30K for that feature but they did work pretty well when I test rode one. Just sayin.

Dave

Old 10-15-2011, 01:27 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,229 Likes on 2,470 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
When I made the change to the frame mounted fairing.
My first was an RG have a RGU now I see a third in the future. Not looking back.
lets see, first rg, then rgu, the third is gonna have to be the cvo

Old 10-15-2011, 05:41 AM
ybnorml
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 25,099 Likes on 10,318 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Finally picked up the 12 Road Glide Custom. Dealer had to install cruise control because HD had supplier problems.

Put only 30 yesterday getting home. Went out today for 137 mile test ride. Temps in the mid 50's and high gusty winds.

I have a 10 Ultra that I have put 18,000 miles on so this was to be a comparison ride.

The RG shined where I expected it to. Cross winds from the west exceeded 30 mph. Took highway 78 north and the bike tracked as if it was only a breeze. Just a relaxed grip on the handlebars.

The 103 does have a noticeable improvement in pep over my 96's. Was even smoother at idle which surprised me. The shifting was smooth but try as I might it would not go into neutral at a stop. Clutch was dragging. I'll take care of that myself.

And by the way. It is not "Fugly" it is one beautiful machine.

I did not add gas yet to track the first tank but at 167 miles on the clock the gauge seemed about where my Ultra would show at the same point. I did expect it to use more.

Now to stop the posters that just pass on what they heard like sheep and don't understand what they are talking about so they wind up sounding like fools. Yes the headlights don't turn in a LOW speed turn. Neither do Gold Wings, BMW and almost all other brands of touring bikes. But then neither do cars, trucks or buses. And guess what? It does not mean squat. Come to a stop T intersection, stop turn and proceed. The spread of the beam sweeps the turn just as a car's does and miracle! One can see around the turn.

Then on the highway at speed a curve comes up. The headlights point in exactly the same direction as a bat wing would counter steering through the curve. So give it up to attempt a feeble dig at a fixed fairing only only shows the level of ignorance some have.

The RG is superior in windy conditions for touring than the other touring HD's.

I have head this also. "The gauges are farther away." Yes DUH! about 8 inches and what does that mean? Maybe you're old and blind? Did not have a problem reading any gauge at all.

That is it for my preemptive strikes.

The black denim paint makes the bike look evil. Hence the nick name "Evil Twin. I like the look without the trunk. I do have quick release sissy bar and luggage rack to install when I go on a tour. I will attach a T-Bag to that.

I was surprised at the sound. It seemed quieter than my stock exhaust Ultra. When I tour I want quiet.

It is not "Fugly" It is one beautiful machine. Very sophisticated and refined not like my Ultra a.k.a. "Buick".

Shhhhhhhhhhh...... just whisper, we don't want everybody to know how
good the R/G really is.
We'll be flooded with batwing converts, and that can't be good !!!

P.S. nice bike by the way

Attached Thumbnails Road Glide aka Evil Twin-secret-society-tee-shirt-002-small-.jpg  
Old 10-15-2011, 05:44 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I've always liked the RG best. I have even seen a kit from Cycle Visions that allows mounting a RG fairing on a Dyna which was interesting and looked great with the longer frame. The Batwing bikes, especially the Street Glides are nice too but they are like the mullet of the bike world.

Old 10-15-2011, 05:53 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 462 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamedFXR
Dont turn too sharp or your cigarette lighter will hit the tank.
You'll LAUGH at this...
my (used)'05 RG came without a power port cover, so I took the cigarette lighter out of my truck, and placed it in the port... and had that EXACT same thought.... then I remembered, no it wont...

Old 10-15-2011, 05:55 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Does anyone change the bars on the Road Glide? The positioning made my shoulders ache just sitting in the dealership. It is a consideration for a future purchase, but those bars seem about a mile away!

Old 10-15-2011, 06:05 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,626 Likes on 3,094 Posts

On windy days the folks at the office remind me to be careful on the way home.
I just say 'Thank you.'

I've told them about how good it is in crosswinds before. I still don't think that they understand.

Old 10-15-2011, 07:03 AM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I have head this also. "The gauges are farther away." Yes DUH! about 8 inches and what does that mean? Maybe you're old and blind? Did not have a problem reading any gauge at all.

In fact, while "old & blind" may be relative terms, I am willing to wager that in fact 100% of this forum's readership is older than they once were, and that perhaps 70-80% of them have vision that cannot be compared to what they once had, even with corrective lenses.

Old 10-15-2011, 08:37 AM
08FXDC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Does anyone change the bars on the Road Glide? The positioning made my shoulders ache just sitting in the dealership. It is a consideration for a future purchase, but those bars seem about a mile away!
The heritage bars seem to be a very popular upgrade.
I'm thinking ill put a set on mine this winter...

Old 10-15-2011, 09:37 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the new ride. The custom RG is really the only bike I think about trading mine for. I do not want to start over again though. I have way too much invested in the glide.

Quick Reply: Road Glide aka Evil Twin