Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 08:18 PM
Electra1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Primary fluid change

Okay, I have a stupid question, but I am a little confused with adding fluid to my primary on a 2005 FLHTCUI. Have service manual and owners manual and both state to add fluid to the primary with bike standing straight up not on jiffy stand. Add fluid till you see it and not over spring. Approximately 32 oz. Okay, I added a full quart of fluid. Can not see it anywhere at the bottom of the primary nor touching bottom of spring. So I keep adding just a little at a time up to about another half quart and still can not see fluid. Took it off of stand and put back on jiffy stand and while it is leaning I think I might be able to see something, but not a clear level. Anyway, I poured the old oil that was drained in an empty quart container and it was right at 32 oz. ??? Do you just put in 1 quart and call it good or do you have to have it filled till you see it at the bottom of the spring? Took it for a ride and it shifted fine and found neutral with no problem. Seemed to even shift smoother then before, but I don't want to hurt anything if I put to much in. Thanks for any advice and if you feel you need to flame then go for it.
Electra1

Last edited by Electra1; 10-17-2011 at 10:58 PM.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,973 Likes on 1,721 Posts

Don't overfill it. Stick to the 32oz

Old 10-17-2011, 08:24 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is a big inconsistency. The way I see it....if you fire up your bike and drive it around the block, then rush to do the primary you could get by with 32oz becuase there's splashy splashy oil all over the inside of the primary. But if you let the bike sit for a while and everything drains back down to the sump, then you are looking at 38oz. I once measured what it would take to get the oil to touch the reference point and I was well over 42oz. Main thing is that too much oil and neutral will be a bear to find since you won't have proper clutch disengagement. 38oz seems not to interfere with neutral.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:28 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

The primary oil level is impossible to visually check with any degree of accuracy.

Add the quart and call it good.

With that said, you should be able to shine a flashlight in there and see the oil near the lower portion of the clutch assembly.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:29 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

on a 2010 its supposed to be 38 fl oz

Old 10-17-2011, 08:42 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
This is a big inconsistency. The way I see it....if you fire up your bike and drive it around the block, then rush to do the primary you could get by with 32oz becuase there's splashy splashy oil all over the inside of the primary. But if you let the bike sit for a while and everything drains back down to the sump, then you are looking at 38oz...
6oz left in the primary because the splashed oil hasn't returned to the sump? I don't buy it.

Try this... Drain the primary until there is nothing more, or just an occasional drip, coming out of it. Then pull the drain pan and put a clean cup in its place. Let it sit there for a while, even overnight if you have the time, and I'd bet you my entire life savings you wouldn't have 6 oz in that cup.

Now this is a purely hypothetical bet just to make a point, but I may actually try my little experiment at my next oil change. I'd be surprised if an additional 1 oz comes out.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:44 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

I'm with Dawg, as usual.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:49 PM
Reaper22
Road Captain

+1 on Speakerfritz, my indy put only a quart in and se comp had a weird vibrating noise depending how I was going down road, I put in approx. 38oz and noise went away and no problems with neutral..

Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 PM
TheShrink
Road Warrior

What year is your machine Reaper? I have family in Palmyra and Hannibal too.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:53 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

So everyone's going with the 32oz even though the manual says 38oz, is that correct?

Quick Reply: Primary fluid change