Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up SE heads, now need cams...

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 01:04 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Most likely you would need new seals thats all. Just have them inspected, whatever needs to be done, do that. Most of the guide hysteria is just that. if you want to have them set up for a particular cam lift or have them worked on by a head porter for a little more flow this would be a good time to do it. I would probably have them cc'd so you know what compression you want to run after you have selected your cams.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:08 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If these are the 103 or 110 heads you really would be better off with a set of newer 96" castings. Do they have ACR's?
You need a piston dome that will match the unic design of the SE combustion camber and valve sizes, you will need to run high comp pistons 10.5:1 or more to get any kind of flow/draw at the lower rpms, and then a cam that will take advantage of the high flow runners and over sized valves, this will build wont have much tq down low and will run strong on the top end. because its a 95" change your CI to a 110" 120" 124" and the heads will really shine

Those springs look the same as my stockers .585 max

My heads were brand new still in the box 200.00 shipped from Alaska HD I found them on ebay.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Since your bike is an '02, ACR's (automatic compression releases)are not part of the equation, as that wasn't available until much later down the road.

I wonder why your friend took them off?

NOW, would be the perfect time to send them off to ****** Racing to clean them up and get them ready.

Make sure the pistons you use on the 95 build can handle an increase in cam lift. If you are going to ride it on the road, I recommend 9.5 to 1 and no more than 10 to 1 on the compression so the bike will work okay with pump gas.

Do a search on cam sleection of 95 builds.....there is a vast array of options, and it really depends on how you are going to use the bike. The Andrews T-37 cams are popular as are the S&S 510 cams. You really need to upgrade the cam followers to the '06 and newer setup. There is an adapter kit to do so available. You could go gear driven cams, but it is expensive, and your crank run out becomes a VERY big factor.

****** Racing....do a google search. They can also machine the heads for a manual compression release setup which is good for the starter if you have a hot cam and some compression...you just quickly push both before hitting the starter.

~Joe

Last edited by traveler; 11-05-2011 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer

here is a pic of just how big the valves and valve pocket are is under the valve 2.120 intakes bigger than most big block Chevy intake valves. don't say I didn't warn you with that little 95" Save those heads for another build

And I'm working on a retro fit kit to Make ACR's work with any year Harley

Attached Thumbnails Just picked up SE heads, now need cams...-dscf0080.jpg  

Last edited by BadBagger08; 11-05-2011 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 02:16 PM
button
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that these heads were designed for the 95ci kit...

Old 11-05-2011, 02:19 PM
button
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad bagger, what are the casting numbers on your heads?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:37 PM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

His heads have the mcr plugs clearly visible, and if those are the heads that nahanhoku referenced they will work just fine. But you can measure the valves seeing as they are off. You cannot use ACR's in those holes you have in those heads you would have to get them machined for ACR's. Button you should just get them to a head guy(I'm sure you can find a good shop close or in Sacramento, if not Chris Rivas is in Fresno and Dave Mackie is in Ventura) and he can answer you questions, too many guys are commenting negative and no one really knows what you have or what you want to do. The chances are very good that they will work fine.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:28 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I wasn't being negative....simply saying that the cam followers need to be updated, and to not get crazy with high compression on a REAL street bike.

There's alot of power in those heads, and the bore/stroke setup of a 95 is VERY nice for power.

~Joe

Old 11-05-2011, 09:21 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer

Originally Posted by button
Bad bagger, what are the casting numbers on your heads?
I'm not sure anymore. I remember looking them up and I think they were the 2nd generation of the 110 head. The early ones you have to get the guides taken care, they gull up stick just plain wear out quick and the seals leak, and I wouldn't even trust the new CNC Max velocity heads without replacing the guides. But that's me when I have something apart I want it done right so I don't have to do it twice.
Look I'm not trying to steer you wrong. If they are the smaller CC early heads before the 103's and 110 heads by all means get them done up and on that 95" but if they're the bigger heads you really need a 103" minimum or larger for those heads.
I didn't buy my heads for a 103 build it's just a stepping stone until I have to pull my bottom end and build a 124"
And by all means get them to somebody that can tell you what you got and if there any good

Last edited by BadBagger08; 11-05-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 09:46 PM
truckerdave
senior experienced all-knowing leader of the unwise
Received 345 Likes on 175 Posts

I have a set of those heads on my 95" Dyna. They work well with the forged 10.5 pistons and .030 Cometic head gaskets. No detonation but you have to use the manual compression releases for starting though. They are already machined for them. I use Andrews TW55 G gear drive cams. I think they are .550 lift. Perfect Dyna Superglide cam but maybe not good cam for bigger heavier Road Glide.

Quick Reply: Just picked up SE heads, now need cams...