Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Which Ultra Classic? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/704649-which-ultra-classic.html)

cobra281 11-05-2011 07:42 AM

Which Ultra Classic?

I am a Deputy with Harris County and I have the opportunity to buy a new 2012 Ultra Classic Peace Officer Edition for $19,750.00 or $21,150.00 out the door.

Being that my wife and I are avid followers of the Dave Ramsey plan, I feel that going this route would dip into our emergency fund too far.

Additionally, there is a 2003 100th Anniversary Paint Ultra Classic with 15,500 miles for $12,500.00. I have always loved the anniversary paint. My brother has a 2003 Dyna Wide Glide that I fell in love with when I saw the paint.

Then again, the 2013s will be here in August of 2012 and this will be the 110th anniversary. Rumor has it that they will put the 110s in the 110th so it may be worth waiting until then.

So basically I am looking 3 options:

1) Wait until I have the cash saved and buy the 2012 Peace Officer Edition Ultra Classic.
2) Wait until I have the cash saved and buy the 2013 110th Anniversary Peace Officer Edition (if they make one) or a 110th Anniversary Ultra Classic.
3) Try to pick up the 100th Anniversary Ultra Classic for $11,000 or so.

Is it worth the extra $8 or $9 grand for the new features on the 2012s and 2013s compared to the 2003s?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

131tman 11-05-2011 07:55 AM

Waitin' on a '14!
http://img851.imageshack.us/img851/8377/img0002iw.jpg

UltraWalt 11-05-2011 07:58 AM

13, the handling difference between the 03 and current models is a significant difference, like comparing an 70 models pick up truck to a 5 Series BMW!!

billnourse 11-05-2011 08:08 AM

I had a 2005 POSE in a Classic and now have a 2012 Limited. The Limited has more power, and due to frame changes, it handles better. It has a two year warranty. It also has upgraded audio features that allow the pairing of GPS, XM Radio, MP3 and the like, which I really like for the long trips that we often take.

I am sure the 2003 will serve you well, but were it I, I would go with the 2012. The POSE price is about 3,000 less than the regular Ultra, and I always enjoyed having a bike that not everyone could just go down and buy.

Bill

danzio 11-05-2011 08:16 AM

Welcome to the fourms......Your question is one not an easy one because there is no right answer. Everybody likes a new bike. As you perform upgrades and know exactly what has been done and how the bike was maintained. I was in a similar situation earlier this year in that I had (have) an '04 Dyna and was considering trading it in on a new Ultra. After some discussion with my wife and contemplating our options, we decided I should keep the Dyna and buy a used Ultra. So I found an '07 that had some upgrades and looked like a good deal. I am happy with the bike but there are some issues that I have with it but I plan to work through them. The fact that many of the upgrades, such as a stage 1 and some other bling would have cost me a bunch more to add to a new bike. By the way, I've put over 4K miles on it in the 4 months I've owned it and the Dyna has sat covered, in the garage the entire time. I will likely be getting rid of the Dyna in the spring and may eventually put the proceeds together with the '07 and trade up to a new one. Maybe even the '13, 110 anniversary with the 110". Now look what you started. Just kidding, but my advice to you would be to go with your gut and if you think you won't be happy with anything but a new bike then you definitely won't. I'm happy with mine and because of the lesser investment and the fact that I can pretty much get back my entire investment on my next move, it keeps my options open. Once you plunk down a big chunk of change on a new bike you are pretty much locked into it for at least a few years.
Good luck in whatever decision you make.

Sledge Hammer 11-05-2011 08:17 AM

Get an '03 now (you know you like it) and then sell it when the 13 comes out if you feel you can't live with out it.

cobra281 11-05-2011 08:18 AM

Is the pricing on the POSE about right? $19,750? or $21,150 out the door?

pit1600 11-05-2011 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Sledge Hammer (Post 9010603)
Get an '03 now (you know you like it) and then sell it when the 13 comes out if you feel you can't live with out it.

i totally agree with that and maybe it will the 14. I love too the two tone paint, that's the Ultra i wanted and doesn't find so i went with my '04.

billnourse 11-05-2011 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by cobra281 (Post 9010607)
Is the pricing on the POSE about right? $19,750? or $21,150 out the door?

Price of a new Ultra is 21,499 for black, 22,074 for a solid color, and 22,514 for 2 tone, so depending on whether you get a black, solid or 2 tone POSE you are looking at a discount between 2,000 and 3,000.

Bill

trackadaptor 11-05-2011 08:44 AM

Wait until I you the cash saved and buy the 2012 Peace Officer Edition Ultra Classic.....by the time you saved the money, priceing will adjust...

Diping into the emergency fund to buy a toy - crazy

Go rent a 2011 for the weekend- then test ride a 2003 - 2007 model.

Remember: Riding Gear $ 1,500k / Basic "Must Have" bolt on's add up as well: $ 1,900 +

If you can not work on your bike: $$$$ talk to service and get quotes on 1k / 5k / 10k service cost $$$$$

Your going to want to loose the Cat.
http://www.bub.com/Harley-Davidson_D...into%201&zsb=0

Stage 1: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Turner: http://www.fullsac.com/master-tune.html

Shocks: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/productlinehd.html

Front Springs: http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html

cobra281 11-05-2011 08:45 AM

It is the Solid Black with pin striping, so I guess that equates to a $1,750 discount.

Is the MSRP of the POSE bikes cheaper than regular bikes? Is the discount from Harley or the dealership?

Thanks.

jjpish 11-05-2011 08:45 AM

I traded in my 03 RKC in August for a 11 EG Ultra Classic. I will say we enjoyed 60.000 trouble free miles on the 03 but the 11 is quite a difference. I know we are talking two different models but the frame is the frame and the motor is the motor. There is without doubt a difference in the ride and the 96 obviously has more power than the 88.

Either way I dont think you can go wrong it just depends on your needs/wants matching your finances.

I originally set out looking for an 03 Ultra but after test riding the 11 I had to do it...

Be Safe
Joe

billnourse 11-05-2011 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by cobra281 (Post 9010702)
It is the Solid Black with pin striping, so I guess that equates to a $1,750 discount.

Is the MSRP of the POSE bikes cheaper than regular bikes? Is the discount from Harley or the dealership?

Thanks.

My understanding is that the Company gives the discount to the dealer. What the dealer does with that discount is up to them. In the past, some dealers did not pass the savings onto the customer. I looked and could not find an MSRP on POSE bikes, but the discount you are getting looks to be about normal, and in line with what mine was.

There is no difference between the POSE Ultra and the regular Ultra except the badging and the fact that you have to be on the job or retired to purchase one, and when I bought mine I had to sign an agreement not to sell it for one year. Not binding I'm sure, but HD wanted police officers to commit to a year in order to get the discount. It's a good way to get a new Ultra for well under MSRP.

Bill

cobra281 11-05-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by trackadaptor (Post 9010695)
Wait until I you the cash saved and buy the 2012 Peace Officer Edition Ultra Classic.....by the time you saved the money, priceing will adjust...

Diping into the emergency fund to buy a toy - crazy

Go rent a 2011 for the weekend- then test ride a 2003 - 2007 model.

Remember: Riding Gear $ 1k / Basic bolt on's add up as well: $ 1,600

Your going to want to loose the Cat. $ 700.00
http://www.bub.com/Harley-Davidson_D...into%201&zsb=0

Turner: http://www.fullsac.com/master-tune.html $430.00

Shocks: http://www.progressivesuspension.com/productlinehd.html $500+

I agree with dipping into the emergency fund, but it would only be for $1,000 or so. I could realistically wait a month or so and not have to dip into the emergency fund at all.

I have the riding gear from my first Harley.

You mentioned that I needed to replace the cat. Is that for the heat issues?

You also listed suspension and a tuner. I guess the tuner is required to keep the bike from running lean once you replace the exhaust, but is there an issue with the suspension on the newer Ultra Classics?

Thanks in advance.

cobra281 11-05-2011 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by billnourse (Post 9010742)
My understanding is that the Company gives the discount to the dealer. What the dealer does with that discount is up to them. In the past, some dealers did not pass the savings onto the customer. I looked and could not find an MSRP on POSE bikes, but the discount you are getting looks to be about normal, and in line with what mine was.

There is no difference between the POSE Ultra and the regular Ultra except the badging and the fact that you have to be on the job or retired to purchase one, and when I bought mine I had to sign an agreement not to sell it for one year. Not binding I'm sure, but HD wanted police officers to commit to a year in order to get the discount. It's a good way to get a new Ultra for well under MSRP.

Bill

I will call a few other dealers in town then. One tried to sell it to me for MSRP and one gave $1750 off.

Thanks,
Regan

JCCASH 11-05-2011 10:22 AM

If you have the savings you could always make yourself a loan. That is what I did. I traded in my 2001 Ultra for a 2011 SG 103. Amazing bike rides great. I like Davy Ramsay as well as Crown Ministries when it comes to financial planning. I'm just paying back my savings account as if I got a loan from the credit union. If I miss a payment, I'll break my own knee cap. LOL I'd buy the police addition if I was a cop. Thank you for serving us...

coolerman69 11-05-2011 10:44 AM

There is absolutely NO WAY the new bike is almost 10k better! The 03 probably has some add ons that you would end up putting on the new bike. Add some 203 cams and it'll out perform a 96. Less heat for the wife to deal with. I toyed with the idea of trading my 06 for a 2011 limited when they came out. It would have cost me 4000 to trade. My wife and I put about 100 miles on the 11 and she said no way was it 4000 better. I'm sure anyone without an unlimited income that is paying cash would agree. Keep in mind that 2 new tires on the 03 (if it doesnt already have them) will dramatically affect the ride/handling quality over a set having only 4-5k miles. You can also buy an extended warranty on the 03 if you want to be covered. I for one will stick to pre 09 bikes as long as i can find one.

DannyZ71 11-05-2011 10:44 AM

Don't replace the cat, remove it all together. And it most definately will help with heat. I can't weld, or I'd do it too. Not many people around here even willing to discuss removing the cat for me. Those that will are wanting to practice their welding skills. Not on my bike!

Woollymonster 11-05-2011 11:30 AM

Welcome Deputy! And thanks for your service. I am in Montgomery Co.

You have already gotten some good advice here. I just bought my 5th road bike this year; a 2012 Electra Glide Classic. There are some significant improvements on these bikes over the years. If you did them all on an '03, it would cost you far more than $10K. For one thing the motor is as fast and powerful as I would ever want on a touring bike. (See my stage II build in my sig). It has the power were you need it for a touring bike and if you get on it, you will be approaching triple digits before leaving third gear.

I think you are right to stay with the Dave Ramsey plan. If you wait until the end of the year you can get some good deals on the 2012's. Dealers around here were practically giving the 2011's away when I bought mine but I wanted the 103. Will the 2013 be worth the price of admission? We'll just have to wait and see!

I have owned and ridden several Harleys. This 103 is the best yet. Oh yeah, I almost forgot, when you get ready to shop, give me a PM and I will introduce you to the guys I deal with at Texan Harley in Conroe. My best dealer experience (so far). And I will also introduce you to the best Indy in the area (if not the planet) Danny at Danny's Cycles of Montgomery. In fact, you would be better served talking to him and looking at some of his builds before you buy. Especially if you decide to go with an older bike.

See you out there,
Woolly

TO34 11-05-2011 11:35 AM

I'd wait for the 13's, not because either of your choices are bad its just the 13's could hit the floor with the 110's and you might be kicking yourself. Plus if the 13's do show up with 110's thats going to drive the used bike values down slightly.

Its your choice but I'd wait, I'm waiting to see what happens in 2014 because of many rumors I have seen floating around.

10Seconds 11-05-2011 12:23 PM

First off, hat's off to you for putting yourself in control of your finances. That takes a lot of dicipline, and as you are already doing it, you really know the answer: A new bike is NOT an emergency and thus does NOT justify taking $ from your emergency fund.

If you can wait a month and pay cash, then you know what you really need to do.

As far as the bike, you will be very happy with the 2012 and you would notice the changes to it versus the 2003. I have a 2010 Ultra and it was a huge upgrade from my old EG.

billnourse 11-05-2011 01:04 PM

As far as pricing goes, if the bike you are looking at has ABS and Security, that is an additional option of 1,195.

Bill

batman4706 11-05-2011 04:06 PM

New UC

Originally Posted by cobra281 (Post 9010757)
I will call a few other dealers in town then. One tried to sell it to me for MSRP and one gave $1750 off.

Thanks,
Regan

You might want to give Corpus Chrisy Harley a call. Talk to the owner (I can't think of his name) he usually gives cops a good price on those bikes.

Jim

Orange PD (Ret)

cobra281 11-08-2011 09:06 PM

Well I decided on the 2003 100th Anniversary Ultra Classic discussed in this thread.

It has 15,183 miles on it and quite a few modifications that I'll list below.

Modifications
Stage One Kit (Could someone please explain what this means?)
Chrome Extended Handlebars
Chrome "Born to Ride" Mirrors
Chrome Harley Grips
Chrome Switch Housing (I guess that is what it is called)
Chrome Switches
Chrome Mudflap with lights

Please go here to check out some issues I have with the "new" used bike.

Thanks in advance.