Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question on Sundowner Solo & Motherwell Rack

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 03:20 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Question on Sundowner Solo & Motherwell Rack

I am considering the Sundowner Solo Seat and Motherwell 7 inch rack for my '07 Road King Classic, and need some help with the hardware. There are two studs coming out of my fender under the two-up seat, and am I correct that both the seat and the rack will bolt onto these studs? What type of hardware do I need to purchase in addition to the seat and rack to finish the installation? Ideally, I would like the seat and rack to come off without tools using knurled fasteners. I have such a fastener on the back of my two-up Sundowner, but are they available for the studs that would hold the seat and front of the rack to the fender?

Are there any other fasteners/washers, etc that I should buy for a clean installation?

Thanks!

Old 12-05-2006, 02:24 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts
Default RE: Question on Sundowner Solo & Motherwell Rack

John,

I found some chrome plated acorn type nuts at the HD dealer that I used on my seat (2). I also bought one of the HD quick release nuts for the rear hole that holds the back of my Motherwell rack in place. As far as the seat is concerned, I posted a thread a week ago regarding the HD Solo seat. Please be aware that the RKC Sundowner Solo seat made by HD specifically for the RKC requires a $59 kit to make it fit on the bike (thats the part that really tipped me over![:@]).

After discussing this with others on this forum I've decided to buy a Mustang solo seat that fits perfectly and does not need the additional kit. I have that seat on my X-mas wish list. I've seen them posted on E-bay (American Classic Motors) for $225 or at M and M Cycle for around $245.

The solo seat / Motherwell rack is on my signature photo and I think they look pretty darned good together.

Good luck.

Whiskers.

Old 12-14-2006, 12:17 AM
jimbo21165
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered the Mustang Solo w/backrest, and a passenger pillion, for when the Boss wants to go. When she don't, I ordered the Motherwell 7" rack. According to UPS, seat should be here the 19th, and according to Motherwells e-mail, the rack should be here any day. I'll try to figure out how to post a pic next week, when I get it on. It's gonna be in the 70's all next week, so I'll be out and about....should be able to get the camera out....

Old 12-14-2006, 12:25 AM
coolnite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mustang Solo w/backrest (not mounted), passenger pillion for 2-up (not mounted) and HD detachable luggage rack.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:07 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks! Looks like the Mustang seat and Motherwell rack is where I'll go, sometime after the holidays.