Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's it worth? Thoughts on this 02 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:30 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What's it worth? Thoughts on this 02 Road King

Been kicking around the idea of a second bike and was thinking perhaps a Dyna or perhaps a FL. I came across this 02 Road King and really like it but haven't gone to see it in person yet. Trying to gauge what would be an appropriate price and if there's anything specific that I should know regarding this particular model.

Specs

02 Road King
88"
20,500 miles
EFI
Stretched bags/fender/tank
21" front wheel
front fender
progressive suspension
various other things...

Thoughts on an appropriate price? I see book value is around $10,000 but due to the extensive mods should I expect to pay a little over that? How much over?

Old 12-02-2011, 09:51 AM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Road King Price

First off, I would ask the seller to take the bike for a decent length ride, even if you have to let the seller ride your bike with you on the ride. I'm not sure what you're looking for but I would suspect that bike is not comfortable over any distance the way its set up with the seat far back and bars forward. Then you'll know if the bike is even for you.

Price wise, those upgrades aren't cheap but I would personally only pay a little extra for the wheel and the stretched bags. My brother just bought a '03 Classic with Stage II, 10K miles, all chrome and braided front end, V&H ovals and some other stuff for $9500 from a dealer. $10K would be fair for this in my opinion, anything over $11K and you'd be paying too much, bike is 10 years old.

Also make sure its either already gotten the 20K service, factor that into the price, or if you're comfortable doing it yourself then that expense isn't bad.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:14 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

It's sweet but unfortunately what it looks like you should get for it and what the market will bare is always different. My suggestion is to do a KBB (Kelly Blue Book) on it then go from there, that's usually where many start with and don't seem to fluctuate much. Right now the economy is in a buyers market when in the past it was a sellers market. So unless your in a pinch and need to sell, hang on to it till the pendulum swings back the other way. If you are in a pinch the KBB is the only basis people will be negotiating from.....good luck.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:15 AM
kamut
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think 02 has different EFI (MM?) than what is used today. I don't think that's necessarily a problem-but there's less aftermarket stuff for it, I think. Like the other person said, even if you like the mods, you can act like you're not that stoked about them to negotiate the price down. I would just kinda go by book value and ignore the mods unless they have particular value to you.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:22 AM
HERE
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
It's sweet but unfortunately what it looks like you should get for it and what the market will bare is always different. My suggestion is to do a KBB (Kelly Blue Book) on it then go from there, that's usually where many start with and don't seem to fluctuate much. Right now the economy is in a buyers market when in the past it was a sellers market. So unless your in a pinch and need to sell, hang on to it till the pendulum swings back the other way. If you are in a pinch the KBB is the only basis people will be negotiating from.....good luck.

Looking to buy, not sell. For reference the owner has a Buy It Now price of $14,500 which I think is way too high.

Old 12-02-2011, 10:31 AM
jayray
Tourer

First thing to ask is Do you have all the original parts? Takes value away from the expensive mods...

Old 12-02-2011, 11:00 AM
JohnCA58
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it is worth what you think it is worth, it is the best year model to buy, it has the forged crank with timken bearings, it does have the delphi fuel injection and not the MM , and the rear swing arm it the lastest style for that frame.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:21 AM
streetg131
Tourer

Ignore the mods when thinking price. It is the best buyers market we will see in our lifetimes, I hope. Most people mod thier bikes with full knowledge that it won't be recouped when sold. Or, at least,sold at a big loss.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:24 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

first 2002 is an excellant year for touring models , so that is good , vaule ??? I sold a 2001 Electra Glide Classic tricked out nicer than this bike in Jan of this year and got $12,700 on consignment at a dealer , they charged me 1K so I made $11,700 , at the time KBB retail was 9K on my bike , so getting 3-4K over KBB is possible , if KBB is 10K somewhere between 10-12K would be fair

Old 12-02-2011, 07:17 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I second the opinion 2002 was a sweet-spot for twin-cam bikes. It was the first year for the Delphi FI (2001 was the last year for the MM FI). It's got the better crankshaft bearing (Timken), improved swing-arm...If you want to ride it as is, it'll be a great ride. It's also a strong platform (the engine) to build on...

I wouldn't pay $14,500 for it. For the mileage on it, if it's in excellent shape, I'd start at $9K base price, add the cost of all the mods, take half of that cost and add it to the 9k...That's the max I'd go. (And even that might be too high. I wouldn't go over $12.5K, regardless of what it's got on it. At that price point, you're most of the way to one only 3 or 4 years old). Hate to say it, but it's a buyer's market, and unless you're really hot for this particular bike for some reason, there'll be another one along in a minute (as they say).

You might offer him $500 less than your max, then negotiate (if he's willing).

Frankly, I think $14.5K for this bike is pretty unrealistic. Another grand or two and you can buy an 09+, with 6-speed, new design frame, 96 cu"...etc. Chances are, starting out so high he's not going to entertain a reasonable offer. But it don't hurt to ask...if you like the bike. 2002 was a great year for baggers.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: What's it worth? Thoughts on this 02 Road King