Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who wants their Ricor Intiminators to work better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 11:04 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,297 Likes on 3,654 Posts

Originally Posted by bolt54
Sorry, thought I entered that info previously...

2010 FXSTC, modded intiminators, 5wt Amsoil, 1.0 kg traxxion straight rate springs, sag at 30% of travel, had 1.1 kg springs which were far too heavy and exchanged them for the 1.0 kg springs now in my scoot, bike weight about 700 pounds (much lighter than a RK)
Ok, I seem to remember that you are under 200 lbs... IMO a 1.0 kg/mm is still a bit too heavy for you.. The guy I know that has the Deuce runs a 1.0 but he ways a bit over 250 and likes his springs stiff.. I would suspect that you would be better off with a 0.9 or even lighter..

The second thing that I think is wrong is that you don't have enough rebound damping but can't say for sure.. Most HD forks that I've seen with Racetech emulators seem to tune in best as 15w to 20w oil for rebound. The exception is the bikes that have the HD emulator in them (06 up fairinged bikes). They work well with 10w or even lighter. I suspect that your compression to rebound damping ratio is off. If you go to heavier oil to correct rebound, you'll have too much compression damping tho the porting that was done will help.

I'm not sure how much you want to play with this.. If you are getting tired, I'd probably pull the ricor, fill with 20 wt and see how it feels. You can go lighter on the springs.. You can try to get more flow through the ricor.. It looks like the mods increased floating valve flow. You might want to try and increase the high speed circuit flow. Simply remove a couple of the deflecting shims then go up on the fork oil weight to get better damping compression to rebound damping.

A couple of things you can do to check the current suspension.. I believe your current forked setup should have 5 inches of travel. Have you tried the zip tie around the fork tube thing to check travel? Give it a shot. I'd bet you only get 3 to 3 1/2 inches of travel.. Another slimy thing to try is too find a rough surface, say 1 inch rippled is good. Ride across it at a rate that works the forks.. When doing so do you notice the forks compressing or extending? This gives you an idea of how well the compression to rebound damping is.. I used this to figure out that an 07 egc with racetech emulators had way too much rebound damping. Not sure how well it works with ricors tho.

If you are interested in a lighter spring I have a set of 0.9 racetech springs I can send you.. If you like em.. Send me the 1.0s.. I've got a buddy with an 07 ultra that could use them..

Old 10-06-2016, 07:34 PM
bolt54
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I am around 250. I think I would like to try lighter springs before I pull the ricors. Fork travel is advertised as 5.6" but I measured it one of the times that I had it apart and it is 5.25".

The deuce is pretty close to my scoot in rake, trail and travel. I'm not sure why your friend is fine with the 1.0 springs. I can see it on a RK because it has less rake and more weight right over the front wheel where my scoot has much less weight over the wheel. Interesting that Racetech recommends 1.0 springs for my scoot.

Old 10-06-2016, 09:09 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Actually, I am around 250. I think I would like to try lighter springs before I pull the ricors. Fork travel is advertised as 5.6" but I measured it one of the times that I had it apart and it is 5.25".

The deuce is pretty close to my scoot in rake, trail and travel. I'm not sure why your friend is fine with the 1.0 springs. I can see it on a RK because it has less rake and more weight right over the front wheel where my scoot has much less weight over the wheel. Interesting that Racetech recommends 1.0 springs for my scoot.
Ok I think we are narrowing in on some experiments... Got that you weight is close to deuce guy.. FWIW I rode the bike and it wasn't bad but it was dark and an unfamiliar roads so I didn't push it.. If you want to try a lighter spring go for it.. I suspect that the ricors are unbalanced with the rebound damping on your bike but you don't learn as much by doing things right..

I'm doing some suspension work on my 07 egc. I really want to try lowering the sag a bit as the bike really does not have enough sag.. I've been looking at reinstalling the stock fairinged emulators, main because they limit high speed flow over the racetechs. If I make the change I'll have a set of racetech emulators that you can try.. I can set them up just like Kumaride and send them to you to try..

The problem will be how much riding season you have left.. I live in Southern California so we ride year round..

Old 10-06-2016, 09:19 PM
65Tiger
Tourer
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

On my 08 RK do you think that there will be an improvement in rebound using the 09+ damper tubes?
In conjunction with 1.0 kg/mm springs and Rico valves

Oil weight with above as a starting point?

Old 10-06-2016, 10:11 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by 65Tiger
On my 08 RK do you think that there will be an improvement in rebound using the 09+ damper tubes?
In conjunction with 1.0 kg/mm springs and Rico valves

Oil weight with above as a starting point?
If this is addressed to me then this is what I think..

You don't need 09+ damper tubes for the 08 rk.. You need the 08 fairing bagger damper tubes which should have smaller rebound orifices. 09-up fairing tubes should work OK but don't really know. If you check the parts lists, you'll find fairing damper tubes are different than RK damper tubes. It's my bet that the rebound orifices are different between the 2 tubes. In that case use 5 wt as recommended by ricor.

Old 10-07-2016, 04:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Fork travel is advertised as 5.6" but I measured it one of the times that I had it apart and it is 5.25".
Total fork travel is limited to a small degree by the small rebound springs, or 'spring damper tube' as they are called. They are pretty strong and don't collapse easily!

Old 10-07-2016, 10:05 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by bwoltz

... Got that you weight is close to deuce guy..

If the duece guy is Rick, thats who helped me with the RT setup. I also rode his bike, albeit briefly, and found it a bit too stiff for me. He weighs, dare I say, quite a bit more then I , so his bike is setup for a heavier rider. And he rides that deuce like no other and prefers a stiffer suspension.

PM me if you need his contact info for more suggestions. Very nice guy and very helpful.

Also, if you setup that other riders bike, drill the extra holes ABOVE where the damper rode cone would hold the damper tube. Which on my bike, is above the existing holes. The RT instructions were incorrect where they show hole placement. If you drill the holes per their instructions, a couple of the new holes will be covered by the cone.

Last edited by KumaRide; 10-07-2016 at 10:12 AM.
Old 10-12-2016, 11:24 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Tiger
Fabrik8r:

Your mailbox is full - not surprising

I was convinced by about page 20 and did not read any further...............

Are you still doing the Ricor cartridge emulator mod, and if so are you willing to do a set for me?
If so then do I need to have a set shipped to you or do you still have them pre-modded?

Great work and thank you for sharing with other enthusiasts

I no longer offer the valve mod service, but the how to info is all here.

Old 04-12-2017, 10:13 PM
blueglide88
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ricor install spacer length

I've pretty much read thru this entire thread and it sure seems there is some conflicting info. I have a 2011 Road King and I am installing stock Ricors and 1kg Racetech springs. The one thing that bothers me is the spacer length. 4" seemed to be the early choice to get you in the ballpark, but other RK owners used less. I noticed that NOBODY ever mentioned the thickness of the washers when figuring out the spacer length.
Even fabrik8r in post 301 with his formula does not take this into account. I have yet to check the thickness of the washers included in the kit but I bet they add up to 1/8". Tonight the forks are draining. I did not remove them from the bike, the front tire is still on the bike. Yes I took a short cut, but I will add whatever oil I determine came out vs what the manual says. Spacer length I am still not sure of. I hope to do this only one time!

Old 04-13-2017, 04:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

The washers are a given, also 1/8" isn't going to be noticeable in setting things just so. It took me two goes to get my older bike right and you shouldn't be surprised if you need a second attempt as well. It's only thick-walled water pipe after all!

Quick Reply: Who wants their Ricor Intiminators to work better?