Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Tuner Help (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/725279-tuner-help.html)

folkxrock 01-19-2012 11:10 AM

Tuner Help

I have 2005 Road King Custom with V&H True Duals and the HD Stage 1. I put a PowerCommander III on the bike when I bought it several years ago, but the canned tune is just not working 100% to my liking (getting a backfire occasionally is the main issue). I was thinking about having the bike dyno tuned this spring with the PCIII.
Would I be better to spend the money on another tuner? Sorry I have not kept up on the latest greatest - so I am looking for opinions from riders better informed than myself.

Thanks in advance

wurk_truk 01-19-2012 11:11 AM

I think a PC tune will be fine. The latest and newest stuff truly matches the latest and newest bikes, too... with O2 sensors, etc.

z71_fourwheelin 01-19-2012 12:59 PM

A competent tuner should be able to do exactly what you need with what you got.

fabrik8r 01-19-2012 02:43 PM

For a non O2 controlled bike, the PCIII is more than adequate. Do you have an HD Stage I download to the ECM and a PCIII, what map are you using? If you are running both it seems redundant for just true duals. Intake or any other mods? I've had great sucess with the PCIII on my 06.

folkxrock 01-19-2012 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by fabrik8r (Post 9280543)
For a non O2 controlled bike, the PCIII is more than adequate. Do you have an HD Stage I download to the ECM and a PCIII, what map are you using? If you are running both it seems redundant for just true duals. Intake or any other mods? I've had great sucess with the PCIII on my 06.

The bike had the Stage 1 ECM when I bought it used, then I added the V&H pipes and the PCIII. I am using the canned tune from Dynojet for the specific application (Stage 1 & V&H pipes). No other mods on the bike.

fabrik8r 01-19-2012 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by folkxrock (Post 9280988)
The bike had the Stage 1 ECM when I bought it used, then I added the V&H pipes and the PCIII. I am using the canned tune from Dynojet for the specific application (Stage 1 & V&H pipes). No other mods on the bike.

When you say no other mods, does that mean no hi flow air cleaner? If you don't have the AC then you don't have a key component to a stage I set up, you might need to try a different map. I didn't see any Stage 1 files without a high flow air cleaner, what map file # are you running.

folkxrock 01-19-2012 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by fabrik8r (Post 9281418)
When you say no other mods, does that mean no hi flow air cleaner? If you don't have the AC then you don't have a key component to a stage I set up, you might need to try a different map. I didn't see any Stage 1 files without a high flow air cleaner, what map file # are you running.

The bike does have the AC - I just did not mention it because it was part of the Stage 1.
I would have to look up the map file, but it was specifically for V&H TDs & Stage 1.
I did try one other map file, but I did not see any difference.

folkxrock 01-19-2012 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by fabrik8r (Post 9281418)

OK, I looked up the map file and I am running m807-180. I also tried m807-179 thinking maybe the bike did not have the Stage 1, but after I verified with the dealer that did the Stage 1 flash, I went back to the m807-180.

Thanks for all the input so far.

fabrik8r 01-19-2012 08:37 PM

Well I was thinking you didn't have an AC so my ideas are out the window. In theory the HD stage I download on the ECM should be all you need, have you tried a zero map or running without the PCIII? Your plan to dyno is probably the best bet and the PCIII will do the trick, souldn't need another tuner. It is possible that you wont completely get rid of the backfire. Sorry I was off base.

folkxrock 01-19-2012 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by fabrik8r (Post 9281885)
Well I was thinking you didn't have an AC so my ideas are out the window. In theory the HD stage I download on the ECM should be all you need, have you tried a zero map or running without the PCIII? Your plan to dyno is probably the best bet and the PCIII will do the trick, souldn't need another tuner. It is possible that you wont completely get rid of the backfire. Sorry I was off base.

No problem, I appreciate the input - I wish you were right and it was just the AC. Not that I have overlooked something simple like that in the past - hahaha.
Thanks again