Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 11:10 AM
folkxrock
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner Help

I have 2005 Road King Custom with V&H True Duals and the HD Stage 1. I put a PowerCommander III on the bike when I bought it several years ago, but the canned tune is just not working 100% to my liking (getting a backfire occasionally is the main issue). I was thinking about having the bike dyno tuned this spring with the PCIII.
Would I be better to spend the money on another tuner? Sorry I have not kept up on the latest greatest - so I am looking for opinions from riders better informed than myself.

Thanks in advance

Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 AM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I think a PC tune will be fine. The latest and newest stuff truly matches the latest and newest bikes, too... with O2 sensors, etc.

Old 01-19-2012, 12:59 PM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A competent tuner should be able to do exactly what you need with what you got.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

For a non O2 controlled bike, the PCIII is more than adequate. Do you have an HD Stage I download to the ECM and a PCIII, what map are you using? If you are running both it seems redundant for just true duals. Intake or any other mods? I've had great sucess with the PCIII on my 06.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:43 PM
folkxrock
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
For a non O2 controlled bike, the PCIII is more than adequate. Do you have an HD Stage I download to the ECM and a PCIII, what map are you using? If you are running both it seems redundant for just true duals. Intake or any other mods? I've had great sucess with the PCIII on my 06.
The bike had the Stage 1 ECM when I bought it used, then I added the V&H pipes and the PCIII. I am using the canned tune from Dynojet for the specific application (Stage 1 & V&H pipes). No other mods on the bike.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:44 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by folkxrock
The bike had the Stage 1 ECM when I bought it used, then I added the V&H pipes and the PCIII. I am using the canned tune from Dynojet for the specific application (Stage 1 & V&H pipes). No other mods on the bike.
When you say no other mods, does that mean no hi flow air cleaner? If you don't have the AC then you don't have a key component to a stage I set up, you might need to try a different map. I didn't see any Stage 1 files without a high flow air cleaner, what map file # are you running.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 PM
folkxrock
Cruiser

When you say no other mods, does that mean no hi flow air cleaner? If you don't have the AC then you don't have a key component to a stage I set up, you might need to try a different map. I didn't see any Stage 1 files without a high flow air cleaner, what map file # are you running.
The bike does have the AC - I just did not mention it because it was part of the Stage 1.
I would have to look up the map file, but it was specifically for V&H TDs & Stage 1.
I did try one other map file, but I did not see any difference.

Old 01-19-2012, 07:42 PM
folkxrock
Cruiser

OK, I looked up the map file and I am running m807-180. I also tried m807-179 thinking maybe the bike did not have the Stage 1, but after I verified with the dealer that did the Stage 1 flash, I went back to the m807-180.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:37 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I was thinking you didn't have an AC so my ideas are out the window. In theory the HD stage I download on the ECM should be all you need, have you tried a zero map or running without the PCIII? Your plan to dyno is probably the best bet and the PCIII will do the trick, souldn't need another tuner. It is possible that you wont completely get rid of the backfire. Sorry I was off base.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 PM
folkxrock
Cruiser

Well I was thinking you didn't have an AC so my ideas are out the window. In theory the HD stage I download on the ECM should be all you need, have you tried a zero map or running without the PCIII? Your plan to dyno is probably the best bet and the PCIII will do the trick, souldn't need another tuner. It is possible that you wont completely get rid of the backfire. Sorry I was off base.
No problem, I appreciate the input - I wish you were right and it was just the AC. Not that I have overlooked something simple like that in the past - hahaha.
Thanks again

Quick Reply: Tuner Help