Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dropped it the garage

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 03:55 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
I hear you. Wonder why Harley doesn't address that safety issue, not hard to wire in a neutral safety switch I would think.
Harley export bikes to Japan and Europe already have sidestand switches. The ECM already has an input for it. They just dont put them on for USA bikes because most people dont want them.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:08 AM
Rooster37
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am with the others here, get it checked. It would drive me nuts thinking something is wrong.

Old 01-30-2012, 04:45 AM
JimTJr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 52 Posts

Sucks to drop it like that,, glad you don't appear to have anymore damage than what you describe. I was getting on my76 Honda 750 way back when bikes still had kick starters, some ladies down on the parking lot where we all "Hung out on Main Street" and cruised asked us to go riding,, couple of us guys were leaving, so I swung my right leg over the seat, put the foot on the peg,, kicked it up off the side stand,, and could NOT put my foot down on the right, the kick starter had went up my pant leg,,, I looked like a "Keystone Cop" just falling over on the right side in slow motion they said,, talk about embarrassed,,, the girls still wanted to ride,, and the bike only had a bent turn signal that I remember.... only real damage was my pride!

Old 01-30-2012, 08:39 AM
hdnvn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled my 02 electra Glide into the garage on Saturday and the front tire rolled over an air hose, turned to the left and I was faced with trying to hold the bike from falling. I had taken the saddlebag guards off a couple of weeks ago ( I like the look clean) and as the bike was going down I was screaming at my 10 year old who was playing video games for help. He must have recognized the urgency in my voice as he immediately jumped up to help me. Couldnt keep the bike from laying down but I did save the saddlebag from any scratches by easing the fall. My boy grabbed the engine guard on the opposite side and with him pulling and me pushing we were able to right it..I tentatively peeked at the bottom corner of the saddlebag, no damage! Whew...I cannot beleive how heavy that thing gets when it's on it's way down...

Old 01-30-2012, 10:11 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by kingkingking
Harley export bikes to Japan and Europe already have sidestand switches. The ECM already has an input for it. They just dont put them on for USA bikes because most people dont want them.
"Most people don't want them", I think rather the truth is MoCo can save $8.56 on the switch probably.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:22 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,220 Likes on 2,467 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
"Most people don't want them", I think rather the truth is MoCo can save $8.56 on the switch probably.
nah, i think most people don't want them. i don't know anyone who says, 'this bike is almost perfect, if only it had a kickstand neutral safety switch'.....

Old 01-30-2012, 11:07 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

It happens to all of us at one point or another....most times it will only happen once and youll always be watchful afterwards so youve got yours in, now go make new mistakes LOL

Old 01-30-2012, 11:23 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

"could NOT put my foot down on the right, the kick starter had went up my pant leg,,, I looked like a "Keystone Cop"

Hey Moe! Hey Larry!

Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

Reminds me of a 'main street' incident in the '70's. Buddy of mine was going to impress the ladies, so he hops on his Z1000, pops the clutch, does a screaming half circle and got spat off. He'd forgotten to unlock the forks.

To this day it brings tears to my eyes... laughing...

Old 01-30-2012, 04:05 PM
BBStacker
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clocker
got so excited to ride one day... when i jumped on my bike and lifted it off the stand so fast i threw it down on its other side. pissed me off.
Dat chit there is damn funny!

Quick Reply: dropped it the garage