Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Test Rides: RG and BMW K1600GT

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 03:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
Graham , I wish I had the opportunity to take some of the travels you have , believe me I am jealous
Claridon will ship your bike anywhere you want, just as they shipped ours to the USA!

Old 02-20-2012, 03:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Sure Harleys are only cruisers or sport cruisers or whatever......

And just ride
No they're not! My Glide is a touring bike, that's what I bought and use it for. We actually travelled across Europe as the only non-BMW in a large group on a tour a couple of years ago and had a great time. Caused quite a stir it must be admitted (the tour was targetted at BMWs by BMW UK), but we flew the flag and got on fine.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:37 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
No they're not! My Glide is a touring bike, that's what I bought and use it for. We actually travelled across Europe as the only non-BMW in a large group on a tour a couple of years ago and had a great time. Caused quite a stir it must be admitted (the tour was targetted at BMWs by BMW UK), but we flew the flag and got on fine.
Hehehe,fair enough. Missed my point I guess I was trying to push the whole"why can't we all just get along" thing but anyways.
Sounds like a fantastic trip. Once I get across the beautiful country that is Canada I hope to ride Europe.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:45 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by oasis03
BMW brought to you buy the same people that brought you the third Reich and Dachau Honda brought to you buy the fine people that brought you Peal Harbor. Nuff said . I have ridden for 61 years and i will be dammed if i will ride some of there crap. I will keep my money in the USA and will ride an American bike Thanks for letting me Vent Im over it.
SO I'm guessing you've removed all the Showa (made in Japan) parts from your bike? That'd leave it all-American, brought to you by the same people that stole a nation and the Trail of Tears.

Seriously though, I have to laugh at all the die-hard "real Harley people", because they're identical to the fine folks on the BMW and other manufacturer's boards. Of course, when you start pointing out that a lot of the bikes and chop jobs they remember from the 50s and 60s were Nortons, Triumphs, BSAs, and Hondas in addition to Harleys (Brando rode a Triumph in The Wild One), they tend to get a little defensive, but that's human nature.

I get the same crap on those boards because I have anything positive to say about Harley Davidson, and put up with ten times the BS over there. And when I get my next bike (Triumph maybe, possibly a Vic), I'll take crap from them for both the H-D and the Beemer (which is regarded as the German Harley).

Ride what you like, don't hate on what you don't ride, and don't talk out of your butt if you don't have any experience with something. When I'm sitting straight upright on my Krautmobike that sounds like the starter's stuck, and I'm wearing Day-Glo like a fishing lure, a FF helmet, and enough armor to stop a bullet, I still wave at the guy in the white tank top, shorts, and flip-flops on a Ninja. I still wave at the guy in the black leather on the ratted-out FXR. I still wave at the 90 year old guy & his wife in the matching textile suits on the 'Wing Trike.

Anyone who's brave/stupid enough to get out on two wheels in the kind of traffic we have today has earned my initial respect. After I meet them and start talking to them, they're on their own. But no one loses my respect based on what they choose to ride.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:59 AM
BlueKite
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

05Train.

Triumph are made in Thailand, which is why they are sold at competitive prices. If they were made in England they'd cost double and be out of business overnight. They are assembled in the UK and bring much needed revenue into the country, and employ a few folks here too. As an Englishman i'm very proud of Triumph's return to the game after many years, even though they're made in Thailand. Obviously it's an added bonus that the bikes are terrific too.
It looks like Harley are going down the same road, and yet the prices don't reflect that. They can't even put decent suspension on 20 grand bikes FFS, which shows you how much respect they have for their faithful followers. Unfortunately it's the blind, short-termist idiocy of your critics on this thread that have enabled them to get away with it. Meanwhile, with the BRIC countries growing wealth, HD will no doubt continue to put their shareholders before their customers.

Ironically, many of HD's most uncritical cheerleaders on this forum will be the kind of people who can no longer afford to buy one in the future.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:15 AM
mac1911
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The BMW may indeed be a superior machine; but it has no soul and you still have to be seen on it....

Old 02-20-2012, 10:31 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueKite
05Train.

Triumph are made in Thailand, which is why they are sold at competitive prices. If they were made in England they'd cost double and be out of business overnight. They are assembled in the UK and bring much needed revenue into the country, and employ a few folks here too. As an Englishman i'm very proud of Triumph's return to the game after many years, even though they're made in Thailand. Obviously it's an added bonus that the bikes are terrific too.
It looks like Harley are going down the same road, and yet the prices don't reflect that. They can't even put decent suspension on 20 grand bikes FFS, which shows you how much respect they have for their faithful followers. Unfortunately it's the blind, short-termist idiocy of your critics on this thread that have enabled them to get away with it. Meanwhile, with the BRIC countries growing wealth, HD will no doubt continue to put their shareholders before their customers.

Ironically, many of HD's most uncritical cheerleaders on this forum will be the kind of people who can no longer afford to buy one in the future.
Interesting. I knew they started making the Bonnie over there in 2006~2007, but I didn't realize they'd transferred all production.

Harley sells a ton of bikes in the US; I believe they sell more than every other manufacturer combined. However, I don't think their business model is sustainable.

After my wreck, I had a really nice insurance check, and I could have bought any bike I wanted. I looked and shopped a lot, and it was staggering how much more bike I could buy for less money than a Harley. And that's frustrating for someone who genuinely likes the brand. Triumph is able to sell heritage bikes like the Bonnie alongside modern sport-tourers and adventure bikes, yet Harley doesn't even try.

Replacing my Limited would have cost a little over $30,000, adding all the necessary stuff (seat, bars, etc). That's more than the K16GTL, more than a Wing, more than a Vision. Now I'm sure all of those bikes would need comfort tweaks too, but every one of them will run rings around a Limited. Talk about "soul" all you want, but that's just as subjective as which seat is the best.

I like Harleys. I'll own another big Tourer (probably a cheap 2009 Ultra) at some point, 'cause they're so good at gobbling up the Interstate. But for me, I enjoy riding my RT far more than I ever enjoyed riding the Limited.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:18 AM
Bowhunter61
Road Warrior
Received 129 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train

Ride what you like, don't hate on what you don't ride, and don't talk out of your butt if you don't have any experience with something. When I'm sitting straight upright on my Krautmobike that sounds like the starter's stuck, and I'm wearing Day-Glo like a fishing lure, a FF helmet, and enough armor to stop a bullet, I still wave at the guy in the white tank top, shorts, and flip-flops on a Ninja. I still wave at the guy in the black leather on the ratted-out FXR. I still wave at the 90 year old guy & his wife in the matching textile suits on the 'Wing Trike.

Anyone who's brave/stupid enough to get out on two wheels in the kind of traffic we have today has earned my initial respect. After I meet them and start talking to them, they're on their own. But no one loses my respect based on what they choose to ride.
Well said....was thinking of something to add.....but you got it all

Old 02-20-2012, 12:24 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Wink

Originally Posted by BlueKite
05Train.

Triumph are made in Thailand, which is why they are sold at competitive prices. If they were made in England they'd cost double and be out of business overnight. They are assembled in the UK and bring much needed revenue into the country, and employ a few folks here too.
I'm not sure I believe that! I am not a Triumph fan, but they employ a lot of people at two factories at Hinckley and do a great deal more than merely assemble them there. They also have factories in Thailand, but to suggest everything is made there is misleading!

Old 02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

05Train & Bluekite , I don't disagree with you on many points and have tried to be respectful as I too like all bikers regardless of brand and think we all need to stick together if we are on 2 wheels as the govt tries to regulate us more and more , I wave at any bike on the road , most wingers don't wave back , I could care less , but regardless of features , benefits and value people aren't stupid or sheep for being loyal to Harley , like I stated earlier owning a Corvette or Harley to many guys in America is like owning a piece of American history and they get great pride and joy in it , no they shouldn't bash other brands either but they shouldn't be stereotyped as well

Quick Reply: Test Rides: RG and BMW K1600GT