Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Dealer prices on parts higher than MSRP? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/730656-dealer-prices-on-parts-higher-than-msrp.html)

swinestein 02-05-2012 02:40 PM

Dealer prices on parts higher than MSRP?

Went to my local dealer today (where I get 10% off) with a shopping list in mind. I had made my list from the 2012 catalog so I knew exactly what I was going to spend.
When I started pulling parts off the shelf I noticed that the prices were running 16% higher than the book price. (so much for the 10% off...) When I asked the parts guy, he said "yeah everything went up as of Feb 1."

I was a little peeved, so needless to say I put everything back and walked out. I think I will shop around a little more.
I find it hard to believe that MOCO would print all the prices in the 2012 book and then Raise them all 16% a month after it comes out. That would not be a wise marketing decision I.M.O.

Anyone else seeing shelf prices higher than the MOCO MSRP in the catalog?

hougz79 02-05-2012 02:41 PM

check out LSHD1.com.

KeeBee 02-05-2012 02:45 PM

Yes, I was quoted 100 dollars more for a screamin eagle tuner at one dealer. Went to another dealer they quoted me what it was listed for in the book. Needless to say I don't go to the other dealer for anything since that happened.

1flhtk4me 02-05-2012 02:45 PM

Some dealers do charge more than others.

BIGVTWIN 02-05-2012 02:50 PM

Ya I noticed Fort Thunder here in Okc was 16 % higher than Harley World that is 10 miles away. So I buy from Harley World. And those prices are set from the dealer not the Moco. The Moco has been trying to get these dealers to only charge msrp on bikes and Harley accessories for years.

kennygsuperglide 02-05-2012 02:51 PM

What???? The dealers are trying to make money??? seriously? Just buy from the catalog and pay shipping and wait up to a week for delivery and hope it doesn't get damaged in shipping. That will teach them to try and make a buck.

Matt0987 02-05-2012 02:54 PM

Talk to Jon at Horneytoad. I sent you a PM

Chunker 02-05-2012 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by kennygsuperglide (Post 9352795)
What???? The dealers are trying to make money??? seriously? Just buy from the catalog and pay shipping and wait up to a week for delivery and hope it doesn't get damaged in shipping. That will teach them to try and make a buck.

So I guess in your opinion, you could look in a Sears catalog and Sears on-line, see a product and price and when you went to the store they were charging more, that's OK because you want them to make a profit.

swinestein 02-05-2012 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by kennygsuperglide (Post 9352795)

You seriously think they are not making money at MSRP :icon_denk:

ThunderBueller 02-05-2012 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by swinestein (Post 9352744)
Went to my local dealer today (where I get 10% off) with a shopping list in mind. I had made my list from the 2012 catalog so I knew exactly what I was going to spend.
When I started pulling parts off the shelf I noticed that the prices were running 16% higher than the book price. (so much for the 10% off...) When I asked the parts guy, he said "yeah everything went up as of Feb 1."

I was a little peeved, so needless to say I put everything back and walked out. I think I will shop around a little more.
I find it hard to believe that MOCO would print all the prices in the 2012 book and then Raise them all 16% a month after it comes out. That would not be a wise marketing decision I.M.O.

Anyone else seeing shelf prices higher than the MOCO MSRP in the catalog?

I'm not disputing your overall point but the Book has been out since the 2012 model year began, since around August. There will be a supplement coming out shortly with the new stuff for mid-year.