Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yet another Ohlins 3-3 experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 08:16 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 374 Likes on 146 Posts

Good deal! Just got my #6's in today. Will be going on soon.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:29 AM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Got my 3-3 on today. Need to set the sag and then going to try them out this Sunday! Very nice quality and can't wait to see how they ride!! Howard got them out to me very fast!! Keep you all posted....

Old 02-29-2012, 12:31 AM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by pscyclepath
You made a great choice. Now you can start hating your front end.
Oh man......I knew that would happen!!

Old 02-29-2012, 04:26 AM
hardwork2
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have about a thousand miles on my 3-3's amazing how diffrent the ride is.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:19 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

the #3-#3's only get better the more miles you put on them

Old 02-29-2012, 05:49 AM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

I am eagerly awaiting the 3-3s I ordered from Howard. I will call him today to see if I can get an expected ship date....

Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 AM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 3-3's and love them, great addition to an already great bike.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:22 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
Ok, what's fabrik8ers mod ? I definitely need something for the front end. My front end already felt like crap before the Ohlins. I am trying to Wait and see what Howard comes up with but if someone has an interim solution I am all ears.
Exceptional front end at an exceptional price, right about $300 if you do your own wrenching.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html

Old 02-29-2012, 08:41 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default New forks

Originally Posted by qtrracer
The Ohlins fork cartridges he is in development on looks like it will necessitate new triple trees and the price will be considerable but he would be a better source on possible pricing. I'm guessing 1500+/- Oh and he used to install that X-Factor cartridge set up and it was 1200 but he feels that the Ohlins will be far superior so he stopped installing the X-Factor units.
Due to the way I see things, I could not just go with throwing in a set of 25mm Ohlins inside of a pair of forks. When I was manufacturing the 20mm cartridge system, they were one of the best suspension products out there as was our friends from Traxxion Dynamics.

The problem is the world just does not sand still. When we started testing the 30mm Ohlins with Danny Eslick using the Geico Powersports 600 bike. The rest was history and I know I had to do something with this for Harleys. In the sport bike crowd, they sell more than a 1,000 a year, and is the must have suspension upgrade. I bought a set and put them in my own 49mm 2005 Dyna MidGlide. I rode and tested and than know that we need this! A few members on this forum have them in their Dynas.

What is needed to make this work in a bagger:

Because of the very poor and dangerous design of the Harley top triple tree in dressers, they use a slip system with a bolt to help keep the forks from falling out. There is no way that this will keep the forks stable.

Prove this to yourself: in a parking lot situation where the surface is smooth and debris free, go about 2 MPH than make a 45º turn and lock up your brakes with your feet out to catch yourself when the bike comes to a full stop. Look and feel the forks deflect. Now what do you think would happen when you are moving at speed or in a corner. The photo below is what I am thinking about.

Most motorcycles have a triple tree design that clamps around the forks like the picture below for strength and stability:

My solution is to make:

* A billet aluminum 6061 T-6 top tree with two each 5/16" clamp bolts per side. This will eliminate the aforementioned deflection. I had made a prototype welded steel top tree to test several years ago to test this theory with positive results.

* A cast and heat treated 4140 chrome moly bottom tree and welded hollow 4140 steering stem. The casting has been designed to accept an inverted fork as well with additional machining. The reason why a new bottom tree is needed is because of need for a 49mm fork tube.

Not cheep to change but I am not done there.

Due the the inside clearance needed for the Ohlins 30mm cartridges, a 1 5/8" (AKA 41mm) fork tube is just not big enough to insert the cartridge. I secured a source of 49mm fork tubes that have a wall thickness of 0.160". OEM 1 5/8" (AKA 41mm) fork tubes have a wall thickness of 0.165". Due to a thing call "cross section", the larger diameter will deflect less than a smaller diameter. The less your forks deflect the easier they slide up and down reducing stiction (a form of friction) and your suspension works better.

A new set of sliders are needed with new fender adapters so the fork is a direct bolt up. All the rest of the pars such as fender, calipers, rotors and wheel are all reused.

The final price is as yet unknown but I am sure it will be north of $2,500 for the complete fork package (I believe) including triple trees. This is a major upgrade in safety, handling and comfort.

Electronic adjustable suspension is forthcoming.

Status: I am reviewing some minor changes on relief radius's on the 3-D drawing before the bottom triple tree mould is made. For your information, a mould and 3-D drawing costs around $10K before the very first part comes out of the mould. I have to pay this up front, those are the reality's of manufacturing.

Conclusion: Is this modification for everyone. Of course not, only for those who can afford them. This upgrade is the best front FL suspension available on earth until the nest big thing. There is no comparison between any HD front fork solution with the exception of quality inverted forks.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:53 AM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Exceptional front end at an exceptional price, right about $300 if you do your own wrenching.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...rk-better.html
Wow, Great information. You obviously know what your talking about. I thought I was reading one of Howard's posts or emails !

So if I wanted a set of intiminators with your mods how do I proceed ? You can post it or send me a PM if you like.

Quick Reply: Yet another Ohlins 3-3 experience