Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hidden antenna VS shorty rubber antenna

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 AM
PWFD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the "new" HD Hidden Antenna. It came out last month. This is the "claim" Uniquely tuned to the Harley-Davidson radio, this enhanced Hidden Antenna offers reception performance equivalent to the Original Equipment whip antenna and superior to the Boom! Audio Shorty Antenna. I had one installed on my new RG but haven't had the chance to test it out due to snow / ice. It will be a while before I roll out with a test report on it. Sounds like it should be good though.

Here is the Link: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

T

Old 03-01-2012, 09:50 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

For no (zero) dollars I simply shortened the stocker to about 12". Works great and looks good plus I'm not running into it constantly like the long version.
For a simple but effective hidden fairing use a piece of 16 ga. insulated wire and a Radio Shack antenna plug. Tape the wire to the inner fairing in a few places. Works as well as any high dollar powered antenna for under $5.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:52 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SharkBite
I may be one of the first to try this out.....honestly, since installing it a few weeks ago I haven't had much of a chance to try it out because now i have the iron aces mount for my iPhone i pretty much always use it for my music....but one day on a ride I decided to try it on a street that the regular antenna would be clear....I had a LOT of static. Not a good indication so far

Originally Posted by PWFD
Check out the "new" HD Hidden Antenna. It came out last month. This is the "claim" Uniquely tuned to the Harley-Davidson radio, this enhanced Hidden Antenna offers reception performance equivalent to the Original Equipment whip antenna and superior to the Boom! Audio Shorty Antenna. I had one installed on my new RG but haven't had the chance to test it out due to snow / ice. It will be a while before I roll out with a test report on it. Sounds like it should be good though.

Here is the Link: http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

T
I have one too. How well it works depends on how you route the wires.

FM is slightly better signal than the stock whip........ SLIGHTLY, so they weren't lying.

AM..... didn't check it.... no good stations in the area, so don't care.

WB is slightly worse than stock whip

WB is the bummer part.... that's what I want out of the radio. I listen to my iPod almost exclusively, but check WB from time to time. Wish I could find a hidden antenna that WB worked really well.

Last edited by shooter5074; 03-01-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Blue is faster than black
Old 03-01-2012, 06:00 PM
marvo75
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would a short rubber antenna work if mounted upside down?

Old 03-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoodz
I've been using the $20 Ebay hidden ant for years and reception is perfect, including weather band, and I live in the sticks. No way in hell I would ever put one of those nasty cheap looking rubber whips on my bike. If hidden dont work for you, stock ant can be hidden INSIDE the fairing.
+1. I got mine off eBay too. Works great when I use it. (I have SIRIUS too.)
I got the Amplified CB antenna from J&M to make both antennas hidden.
Really cleaned up the rear and made the Detachable Tour Pak so much better.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 03-01-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:47 PM
KutenFLHX
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The shorty on mine actually works better than the whip antenna the bike came with. Glad I replaced it (and it looks better).

Old 03-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Also, for anyone w/short whip + cover, just cut piece of 1/2" PVC same length as antenna so you don't bend anything while bike's covered...

Old 03-02-2012, 01:43 PM
acd118
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Talldog
Think this might be what you're referring too.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...e-antenna.html

Yes sir, that is definitely the link. Thanks for getting that for those that are interested. I only made one extra step in the process by routing my ant underneath the chrome fender stay. It is a pain to get it under there just righ, but it is possible and I think gives just a little cleaner look. I forgot to mention that I also used Locktite on the two little bolts holding the ant bracket.

And also thanks to Kilroy for posting this idea. If he is the originator of the idea, someone should buy him a beer and thank him from all of us who use it.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:39 AM
mkekid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
I tried 4 different hidden antennas and got bad reception with all , bought the Harley short antenna and it works great
Switched out the long stock whips for the Harley Davidson shorty (rubber) antennas also. Reception is as good if not better and I like the fact that I can un-screw them for winter storage. They fit in my trunk when crossed (X) and I don't have to cut little holes in breathable cover.

Last edited by mkekid; 06-16-2018 at 11:32 AM.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:20 AM
wheelman38
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Bought the shorties at Oreilly's auto parts. Work pretty good. I use the whips to scratch unreachable places.

Quick Reply: Hidden antenna VS shorty rubber antenna