Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear wheels need balancing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 09:26 AM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,197 Likes on 1,272 Posts

Originally Posted by Pondskipper
Have you tried them?
Oh yeah. Been running dyna beads for the last couple of years since I started doing my own tire changing. So far, the Honda has them on both tires, the shovel has beads in the front, and the Road King has them in both as well.

The biggest problem with dyna beads is getting them into the tube. I squeeze the bottle then let it loose rapidly so the beads will jump somewhat. It helps to feed them down into the tube. Not a big deal, just somewhere inbetween slightly annoying and mildly irritating.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 AM
misterclassic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Not good enough. I'm not going to try them until they hit bees knees status.
Have run Dyna beads for years and love em. Took my Ultra up to 105 a couple of days ago on a nice stretch of road, the tires were perfectly balanced, no vibration at all. I tried to get to 110 but ran out of ***** (me, not the bike).

Dyna beads are the bees knees. There, now go get some.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

The "how it works" on the dyna beads website seems to be contrary to the laws of physics. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm

The beads are "evenly" distributed once the wheel starts rolling...I'm with them so far. But then, magically, despite increased centrifugal forces as speed increases, the little bitty beads somehow miraculously overcome this binding centrifugal force and, obviously with a mind of their own, force themselves downward to some how perfectly offset an opposing physical force never before accomplished by any known matter on earth when subjected to the same forces.

On their FAQ page where a so-called "mechanical engineer" gives his opinion of where balancing weight "should" be on a tire, there exists absolutely no explanation as to how the beads are able to overcome the laws of physics and create an exact counterbalanced condition in exactly the perfect place. So are we to believe the manufacturers claims that this just happens and accept it without any legitimate verification?

The heavy side of the tire would exacerbate a concentration of centrifugal force during the rotation, making it impossible for any loose objects inside the tire to migrate away from this concentration.

These claims have been called to task before and the company refuses to have their products tested by independent labs. They have been invited by ad-free motorcycle magazines to prove their theories and claims, but have refused to be exposed. There is nothing on their website that adds any technical or scientific legitimacy to their claims. All of this should tell you something.....are you listening?

Old 03-09-2012, 11:11 AM
misterclassic
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not trying to be a dick or anything but I install my own tires (5 or 6 so far) and have used Dyna beads in all of them. If these things don't work then I have been EXTREMELY lucky in getting tires that have been perfectly balanced from the factory and have somehow managed to stay balanced throughout their lifetime.

Old 03-09-2012, 11:55 AM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I expect some flack for this, but I have been changing my own tires on bikes since the late 1960's and have never balanced a tire on any bike I have ever owned. I have never used any product like Dynabeads. Every time I change a tire, I tell myself that if I notice any vibration, I will take the wheel of and have it balanced, but so far, I have never had to do this even one time. I cannot comment on how well Dynabeads works, because I have never felt the need to use it.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I was waiting for someone to argue that there is no way they can work. My only input is to put them in your tires and see how smooth the ride is. With me, no explanation is necessary after feeling how smooth the bike rides.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

The following comes from their answer to a letter asking about Dyna Beads in the February 2010 issue of Motorcycle Consumer News:

" MCN evaluated the Dyna Beads on a reader's suggestion back in October of 2006. Although the tiny white ceramic beads have apparently found favor with long-haul truckers, we tested them in a Honda 599. Using a shop's spin balancer, we checked the bike's rear wheel, which had 1.6 oz. of balance weights in place. The balancer agreed with the amount and location of the weights. After installing the specified two ounces of beads in the rear tire and then removing the rim weights, the balancer found an out of balance condition. This test was repeated five times and the balancer continued to call for the replacement of the 1.6 oz. of rim weights in the same location. Over-the-road testing was next. Without the rim weights, the rear wheel produced noticeable vibration and the installation of the beads gave a barely perceptible improvement. Also, the weight of the beads added so close to the tire tread gave a noticeable increase in gyro stability, making the steering heavier. We also tried them on a car and were disappointed. Bottom line: Save your money for a proper spin balance."

So with that info.... we need a Dyna bead user to put 2 oz of wheel weights on your front tire and see if the Dyna beads prevents vibration. Think about it. If they actually work you won't feel any difference in the balance.

Or better yet, try the same thing on a spin balancer, and see if the 2 oz is counteracted by the Dyna beads.

Someone please try it, and report back honestly, cause now I'm curious.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:22 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Now you have me curious. We are going to have to put this to the test when we get a chance.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:30 PM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

I'm with low country and shooter, I would have to see some independant third party testing to contradict what MCN found before I would use dynabeads. Seems to me you are just adding additional gyroscopic weight to dampen an actual out of balance condition.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:36 PM
Pondskipper
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
The "how it works" on the dyna beads website seems to be contrary to the laws of physics. http://www.innovativebalancing.com/HowItWorks.htm

The beads are "evenly" distributed once the wheel starts rolling...I'm with them so far. But then, magically, despite increased centrifugal forces ....
Ah there is the problem, the laws of physics do not include the mythical centrifugal force.

Quick Reply: Rear wheels need balancing?