Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 05:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Issue: What bike is better, a Street Glide or a Road Glide?

Trying to decide between a street glide and a road glide can be tough. Below you can find some opinions on what are the advantages and disadvantages between each model.

Things to consider:
-Distance you will be riding
-Your height
-Storage room
-ETC

Of course you will want to ride each bike before you make your decision, but the thread below will give you things to consider before making your choice.
Print Wikipost

Street Glide vs. Road Glide

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 11:04 PM
Thor
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Butts32
I have a road glide and yes, the head lights don't turn when cornering. But neither do my cars head lights.
Precisely. I've heard the "but the lights don't turn" more times that I can count. I don't even notice it when riding. Plus, if you want to get technical, a bike turns by countersteering so if anything, the light is facing AWAY from turns with fork mounted headlights.
I'll stick with my RG....I don't miss my SG any

Old 07-28-2015, 03:59 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

I've ridden both. IMO, the RG was easier to handle at a slow, parking lot type speed and it was much better at interstate type riding. Other than that, they're the same bike, lol.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:44 AM
hd4evr2008
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,841 Likes on 826 Posts

I own a Street Glide and took a Road Glide for a test ride just because the dealer offered. I hated the fairing on the Road Glide. Felt like I was sitting behind a coffee table! Way too car-like! All it needed was a steering wheel. The thing is HUGE!! Definitely like my SG better. Don't think I'd ever get used to the feeling of the RG fairing.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by lionsm13
Well truth be known I would think that 10-15 BW's are probably sold to 1 RG?
Now I wonder why that is?
You do not see Harley pulling the BW's off the floor and stocking just the RG's?
I think even RK's sell more than RG's?
You can ramble on about the virtues of each, it does not matter.
Numbers do not lie folks.
Tis' what it tis', and that's all she wrote.
to me, that's a great reason to go with the rg right there. who wants what everyone else has?

Originally Posted by ultraclassic53
If you are Glidin your Ridin.....
way to be committal, street glide or road glide? lol..

Originally Posted by hd4evr2008
I own a Street Glide and took a Road Glide for a test ride just because the dealer offered. I hated the fairing on the Road Glide. Felt like I was sitting behind a coffee table! Way too car-like! All it needed was a steering wheel. The thing is HUGE!! Definitely like my SG better. Don't think I'd ever get used to the feeling of the RG fairing.
i'm the opposite. the batwing fairing is just too much 'in your face'. i'm not a big guy, only 5'4'' and i felt claustrophobic on the batwing....

Old 07-29-2015, 12:34 AM
grumpyrider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigdave12768
Yep cant see around corners at night. Huge safety issue

Also the RG looks like an 80's Gold wing.
Hmm. might actually require the rider to lean in to the turn, maybe even scrape a board or two? If your riding with your head and eyes the bike and the lights will follow.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:39 PM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sit on a Road King.

Old 07-31-2015, 10:56 PM
Fatbob usmc EOD
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got to test ride a Road Glide Special today. Awesome bike and I can't wait to pick one up in a couple of weeks. I sat on the Streetglide but the Road Glide just felt much better to me and I preferred having the fairing farther out. I'm trading in a 2012 Fatboy Lo and it was unreal how different the two bikes are. Both bikes have the 103 in them but it seemed like the Road Glide revved easier and liked a higher RPM than I am usually at on my Fatboy Lo. Road Glide seemed to be a much faster bike as well. I wonder how much of the difference between the two is the A vs B motor or the fact that the Road Glide is a Rushmore bike. Either way I'm pretty excited to be trading up. The saleswoman made a big deal about the fairing not turning with the bars. I guess a lot of people get caught by surprise by that. Seemed fine to me and I think I'll get used to it pretty quickly. It's only a factor at parking lot speeds anyway.

Old 08-02-2015, 03:16 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,193 Likes on 2,457 Posts

Originally Posted by Fatbob usmc EOD
I got to test ride a Road Glide Special today. Awesome bike and I can't wait to pick one up in a couple of weeks.

The saleswoman made a big deal about the fairing not turning with the bars. I guess a lot of people get caught by surprise by that. Seemed fine to me and I think I'll get used to it pretty quickly. It's only a factor at parking lot speeds anyway.
congrats on the new purchase. i love my roadglide, and will not not own one.

as far as the fairing goes, you shouldn't be looking at it anyway, supposed to be looking at where you are going

Old 10-17-2017, 08:39 AM
ridervt
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same place regarding deciding between a SG and a RG. My current ride is an '09 RK, which I love and will keep (unless I buy a new RK). Before visiting the dealer I was mostly decided on a SG. I'd never really given the RG a second thought, but when I got there I decided to ride all three, the RK, SG and RG. The RK seemed a little boring and plain, which makes sense compared to a fairing bike with all the amenities. The primary consideration for me for buying a fairing bike is the convenience of that stuff (radio, storage, etc), I don't care about wind protection because I've always found the tall windshield on the RK was more than adequate, and that includes a ride from Vermont to Utah and back. Back to my test rides, after the RK I rode the SG and thought it felt fine and liked the handling ok, although I did notice the turns were more work and did feel the fairing being impacted by the windy day. Since I was there I thought what the hell, might as well ride a RG just to rule it out. Ha! That bike was the smoothest of the three and I was shocked by how effortless the turns were compared to the SG. Even at very slow speeds doing 360s in the parking lot it seemed as effortless as the RK. The hardest part of this decision is the fact that I love the classic looks of the RK, with the shield and big headlight and running lights. I still can't rule out buying an RK with the M8 and adding sound to it, but we'll see. This thread may be a repeat of but it's still very helpful to read the opinions of people who actually own one or both bikes when you're making a $25,000 to $30,000 decision. Probably the best advice I've seen in the thread is the recommendation to rent both and ride each all day. I think if anyone does that they'll know which one is for them. Incidentally, I'm one of those guys who used to think the RG fairing was ugly, but then I started liking them and think they do look badass. Kinda like the girl in highschool who wasn't as pretty as the rest, then you see her a couple years later and say "Wait a second! She's pretty hot!"

Old 10-17-2017, 10:03 AM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by ridervt
.... "Wait a second! She's pretty hot!"
..... she's totally hot !

Quick Reply: Street Glide vs. Road Glide