Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Iron Cross or Aftermarket

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:43 PM
MichiganDave
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Couple of things to throw back at you here. I do like my music and about a year ago I bought the hog tunes 3 for the freeway system. I know it is called something else these days but still the same package. The system came with the amp, new front and rear speakers, fairing lowers and the hog pod tweeters. I play my music mostly through my Zumo GPS which has a built in MP3 player and or CD's off the HK stock tuner, so my questions are will these aftermarket systems and handle bar control kits still work with my hog tune setup? I liked that system for Hog Tunes because it was all plug and play into the original Harley connectors. Second question is I have been on the biketronics site and the head units I see have USB ports and IPOD setups which I have no use for. Where else can I find tuners for my Ultra Classic? One last thing also do these aftermarket radios hold up with all the vibration going on. I've been told by many that this is why the HK fails and if so why would aftermarket be any better.

Old 03-19-2012, 03:51 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Suggestion: Check your fairing and speaker brackets for breaks. Even if you go aftermarket, broken brackets are a problem.

Suggestion: If you're happy with what you had, send the unit to ICA for repair.

Suggestion: If you go aftermarket, you will probably need to re-wire the HT equipment you already have.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 03-19-2012, 03:52 PM
TexasVet
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MichiganDave
Couple of things to throw back at you here. I do like my music and about a year ago I bought the hog tunes 3 for the freeway system. I know it is called something else these days but still the same package. The system came with the amp, new front and rear speakers, fairing lowers and the hog pod tweeters. I play my music mostly through my Zumo GPS which has a built in MP3 player and or CD's off the HK stock tuner, so my questions are will these aftermarket systems and handle bar control kits still work with my hog tune setup? I liked that system for Hog Tunes because it was all plug and play into the original Harley connectors. Second question is I have been on the biketronics site and the head units I see have USB ports and IPOD setups which I have no use for. Where else can I find tuners for my Ultra Classic? One last thing also do these aftermarket radios hold up with all the vibration going on. I've been told by many that this is why the HK fails and if so why would aftermarket be any better.
I too have the hog tunes system, which is the 3 way fwy except I upgraded to the big ultra package. I did the radio upgrade this weekend and works like a charm for the hogtunes system. I was using an iPod with aux plig into HK radio and absolutely shocked as to the clarity I now receive with the aftermarket radio. I installed the Sony DSX-S200X and the reason I chose his was I don't do CDs anymore and the iPod tray is handy to throw my iPod or memory stick into and go. I did not buy my radio from Biketronics but from crutchfield and it cost me $99 with instant savings coupon. Don't know about the vibration issue at this time since it was just newly installed, time will tell.

Old 03-19-2012, 05:13 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

I just started a thread on this. Today I finished installing a Sony MS60 from biketronics along with their retro Kit. This radio has a fold down face and then you can put your iphone with your tunes inside the friggin radio. Awesome and works perfect.

Old 03-19-2012, 06:29 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sony Head unit with Blue Tooth, Hawg Wired install kit, steams Pandora, and let's me know when I have a phone call sounds awsome

Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by brandss
I just started a thread on this. Today I finished installing a Sony MS60 from biketronics along with their retro Kit. This radio has a fold down face and then you can put your iphone with your tunes inside the friggin radio. Awesome and works perfect.
If you talk to Tony at Iron Cross Audio, he'll tell you about repairs he's made to aftermarket head units with mechanisms that suffer vibration issues installed on our HD's. Not saying that will happen with your specific product.

Also, if I understand correctly, ICA sold you a unit that was later determined to be defective; promptly replaced the unit with a good one; and, now you're expecting a full refund because you decided not to purchase the product? If true, please don't buy anything from me that I may list in the HDF classifieds or on ebay (where my username is golftours).

Enoy your new tunes.

Carl

Old 03-19-2012, 08:57 PM
brandss
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
If you talk to Tony at Iron Cross Audio, he'll tell you about repairs he's made to aftermarket head units with mechanisms that suffer vibration issues installed on our HD's. Not saying that will happen with your specific product.

Also, if I understand correctly, ICA sold you a unit that was later determined to be defective; promptly replaced the unit with a good one; and, now you're expecting a full refund because you decided not to purchase the product? If true, please don't buy anything from me that I may list in the HDF classifieds or on ebay (where my username is golftours).

Enoy your new tunes.

Carl
Wait a minute Carl, and maybe I'm not thinking correctly on this. I don't ever plan to screw anyone at any time. What I think is that I did get a defective unit and during the time to get it back I changed my mind and went a different way. I have not opened the new unit, installed it, or anything. I buy stuff a lot of times and return, unused, for a lot of reasons. If I'm wrong on this I would like to know because I don't want to screw with anyone.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:43 PM
HemiGlide69
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HemiGlide69
Having the same issue with my HK.
I'm going aftermarket and considering having Iron Cross service my HK and sell it to offset the purchase of the aftermarket radio.

I went with the Sony DSX-S210X HU, this unit appealed to me for the Tune tray and Pandora capabilities.
For the install I purchased the Hawg Wired Universal kit. That way I can change brands down the road if I choose.
For speakers I'm swapping out the J&M 7.25's for the Hertz HSK 165 components. I'll mount the tweeters in the upper two gauge holes. Going to lose the air temp and volts gauges.
For an amp I'm already running the Elf 2125X, this is very similar to the Arc and J&M amps and seems to put out some good clean power.

Should have everything delivered and installed by Wednesday night.

I installed "just" the Sony HU today and I'm getting humming noise from the J&M speakers. I didn't change any of the amp connections or speaker wiring with the exception of using RCA inputs from HU to amp rather that line in connection.
The noise is pretty strong and not affected by volume or music source.
Any ideas?
Any input would be appreciated

Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 507 Posts

for noise check the grounding on the amp,try a different spot shorter run,or go straight to the battery.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:13 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HemiGlide69
I installed "just" the Sony HU today and I'm getting humming noise from the J&M speakers. I didn't change any of the amp connections or speaker wiring with the exception of using RCA inputs from HU to amp rather that line in connection.
The noise is pretty strong and not affected by volume or music source.
Any ideas?
Any input would be appreciated
HemiGlide69,

Are you running your RCA's or Remote/Amp power on lead (blue wire) near the power and ground wire running to the amp?

Quick Reply: Iron Cross or Aftermarket