Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Hidden antenna? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/745742-hidden-antenna.html)

FINALEFFORT 03-19-2012 10:19 AM

Hidden antenna?

I am a new member long time reader first time poster, i bought the hidden antenna from harley so i can mach my tour pack quick disconnect, well after installing the radio just scans and never stops if i hit one of me presets it comes in but has a lot static any help??

HD Jim 03-19-2012 10:42 AM

check and make sure connections are correct first.. ensure no wires got pinched or grounded out... I had a powered hidden antenna on my SG... reception was crappy. Took it off.

There is a thread around here where a guy reversed his antenna mount and ran the full size antenna along side the left side of his bike. I tried that and it works! Antenna is hidden and no loss of signal to radio. I secured my antenna to the frame with two zip ties...can't see the antenna but it works.

ElectraGlideSteve 03-19-2012 10:53 AM

I tried the hidden antenna and removed it after a couple of weeks. The reception is terrible.

I could only get about 3 FM stations and those were all static and fading in and out.

I put the shorty antenna on and it works great. I just listen to cd's now when I remove the tour pak

FINALEFFORT 03-19-2012 10:55 AM

yes everything is where its supposed to be and my radio sucks now!! thanks boom audio for 40 bucks wasted i will do that with my antenna now

Harleypingman 03-19-2012 11:32 AM

The problem is in becoming a texter; i.e. no capitalization or puctuation. Just kidding.

Suggestion: Post a picture or two of the installation. You wouldn't be the first HDF'er who was convinced the installation is correct only to discocover later it wasn't.

Carl

dparker747 03-19-2012 11:34 AM

I have the boom audio internal antenna and it works great. Picked up local radio station 70 miles away.

FINALEFFORT 03-19-2012 11:38 AM

dparker747 where did you plug in the power and ground?? and on the inner fairinf did you place the antenna?

Harleypingman i could have it done wrong i am not against that at all my wife says i do everything wrong

frog13 03-19-2012 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by FINALEFFORT (Post 9544212)
dparker747 where did you plug in the power and ground?? and on the inner fairinf did you place the antenna?

Harleypingman i could have it done wrong I am not against that at all my wife says i do everything wrong

Mine works fine, too. Plugged the power and ground to the cigarette lighter terminals and zip tied the antenna to the faring braces so I didn't have to unplug it if I remove the fairing again.

shooter5074 03-19-2012 11:54 AM

If the little red light on the antenna doesn't come on with the ignition on..... you don't have it wired right.

FINALEFFORT 03-19-2012 12:42 PM

i didnt not plug into the back of the cig lighter? that has to be my problem? but the red light it on??