Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Of all the bonehead effin' things to do!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 08:30 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

That does stink. I have almost had a similar issue with mine. I ltteraly caught it on the way to the floor. You could look into those black leather covers that they sell for the lid tops.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:31 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well now that the adrenalin has worn off I went and took a closer look. The lid took the brunt of the damage. Prolly not repairable. I'll cover them for now. The body has some light scratches that look like they may buff out. Gonna take it over to my local dealer and see what their detailer thinks. This guy is top notch. Got out some pre-delivery scratches that I didn't think would come out. If I try to mess will it I'm liable to do more damage than good.

Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 AM
jimmything
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

You could try that colored wax they have out. Probably comes in a blue close to your lid.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:06 AM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Wow that does blow man. Some Mustang covers would've saved the day . Hadn't seen you on forum in awhile nice new bike!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:26 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts

Screw repainting it....

SADDLEBAG BOTTOM ASM LEFT, BIG BLUE
90867-12DJO
Price $265.00 $222.00

SADDLEBAG COVER ASM LEFT, BIG BLUE PEARL
90606-12DJO
Price $240.00 $192.00

These are priced from LSHD1. Got the parts from http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

This is just the bag and the lid. You'll need to assemble everything together. $414. It's not cheap, but it's not too bad either. Tough lesson learned, but I can't say we haven't all been there....

Last edited by Redbeard719; 03-21-2012 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:37 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Not that this will help you now, but when I remove my bags, I set them on the ground on a padded surface. Never set them right next to each other so you don't have the domino effect if one should tip over. I bought some exercise flooring tiles (24"x24", thick foam, edges lock together) that I set them on when off the bike.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fish eye
Screw repainting it....

SADDLEBAG BOTTOM ASM LEFT, BIG BLUE
90867-12DJO
Price $265.00 $222.00

SADDLEBAG COVER ASM LEFT, BIG BLUE PEARL
90606-12DJO
Price $240.00 $192.00

These are priced from LSHD1. Got the parts from http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.....asp?make=hdmc

This is just the bag and the lid. You'll need to assemble everything together. $414. It's not cheap, but it's not too bad either. Tough lesson learned, but I can't say we haven't all been there....

Not bad at all. Alot better than I expected. If all goes well I am hoping I may need just the lid. Prolly cheaper than a repaint. If not at least would be a better match. Painter here, though he is top notch, said he could not match Big Blue Pearl when my fender needed replaced. Would have to buy all the HD paint. Which isn't cheap I am sure.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

acc: Been around alot more the last few months. Having spinal surgery this Monday so I am gonna be down for the count for a little while. How ya been man???

slhanks: Trust me I always do that. I have an old comforter that I lay out on the floor and set them both down with plenty of space between each other. This was just one of those times where I didn't. And I paid the price for cutting corners.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Not bad at all. Alot better than I expected. If all goes well I am hoping I may need just the lid. Prolly cheaper than a repaint. If not at least would be a better match. Painter here, though he is top notch, said he could not match Big Blue Pearl when my fender needed replaced. Would have to buy all the HD paint. Which isn't cheap I am sure.
I don't get this attitude from painters. Why should you have to buy their supplies?

Let them buy the paint and keep the extra. That way the next guy that comes in with this color doesn't get bent too. They may not make much the first go around, but eventually they will begin to make money. Gunslingers never charged me for making custom paint. It's just part of the job.

And BTW, HD paint is probably close to $300 for a quart.
/End rant

I do think you're better off buying the matched parts from MoCo. I had a saddlebag problem caused from my V&H pipes. Long story short, new bag was ordered, and the color was a great match.

If you only need the lid, you're not out too much. It does suck, but it could be waaaaaay worse!

Old 03-21-2012, 09:49 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by fish eye
I don't get this attitude from painters. Why should you have to buy their supplies?

Let them buy the paint and keep the extra. That way the next guy that comes in with this color doesn't get bent too. They may not make much the first go around, but eventually they will begin to make money. Gunslingers never charged me for making custom paint. It's just part of the job.

And BTW, HD paint is probably close to $300 for a quart.
/End rant

I do think you're better off buying the matched parts from MoCo. I had a saddlebag problem caused from my V&H pipes. Long story short, new bag was ordered, and the color was a great match.

If you only need the lid, you're not out too much. It does suck, but it could be waaaaaay worse!

Yeah kinda figured the paint would be spendy. And you are right. Could have been worse. Or more expensive.

Quick Reply: Of all the bonehead effin' things to do!!!!!