Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy - Ultra to VROD

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 10:31 AM
Twillis
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved the performance of my 2006 VRSCA, but my biggest gripe was the fuel range. I even upgraded to the aftermarket 5 gallon tank, but V-Rod's get really lousy fuel mileage, so you have to stop frequently for fuel. BUT---nothing beats just a flick of the wrist to pass somebody on the highway! The engine is VERY smooth also.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:03 AM
mainshaft
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't do it. But, it's like they say, it's your decision. Good luck.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:11 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Make a V-Rod like this might consider it ..

Old 03-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm sure you would get different answers on the Vrod pages. With that said, I agree on renting one and see if it spins your beanie.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
RAP
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Or, you could just keep your bike and buy a nice used V-Rod. Best of both worlds.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 AM
68 Shovelking
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BreadGuy_FLHX
Just go buy a $3,000 crotch rocket and ride it a few times. My guess is you'll sell it after you get over your speed itch.
Good idea, a Yamaha FZ1 would be a good choice, or as someone else mentioned if you can swing about $7000 buy a used Vrod. Either way I'd keep the Ultra, but then again I'd be pretty happy with a hot-rodded stripped down Ultra.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:34 AM
clbking
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hear ya. Had 3 V Rods ('02, SE '05 and SE '06, the best one) and enjoyed the heck out of them all. Power is awesome specially now that they have the former SE's 1275 as standard over the original 1125cc. Lots of improvement from those V Rods now but in the end, the riding position did me in. I like to go on long all day rides and tour once in a while. Without modding the seat and ergos, I could not do the trips on these bikes. Also, since the power is so sweet, I found myself always going fast and using up gas. I was riding it like my sport bikes!
Due to its rake, the lean angle is much narrower than my Road King and those 240 rear tires takes a bit of an effort to lean and stay leaned in a sweeper or tight curve. You will touch down your boot's heel first which surprised me the first time. My RK handles the twisties much better. There is also (at the time anyway), not much accessories and goodies for the V Rod.
The thing I hated the most was filling the tank which you had to lift the seat and bend way down to check that you did not overfill. The headlights also do not put out a lot of light at night. Suspension has less travel than the touring bikes. Though HD make bags for the V Rod (hard and soft), they are small.
Rent one for a day or two. Those demo rides are not going to show you the V Rods character or handling. HD should have a touring V Rod or power the touring line with the V Rod's engine. That would be great.
Hope you find out which way to go. Only you can decide this. Your Ultra is a great bike and can easily be configured for less weight.

Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 AM
Eric in chicago
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had both for a while, vrod is gone. I miss it for quick trips and the cool factor. The are great bikes that need very little maint. great motor. downside is there are very little custom parts compared to the rest of the HD line

great forum for vrods if you want more info www.1130cc.com
This was my bad dog, 1st custom I built (started out as a Night Rod Special)

Attached Thumbnails Am I crazy - Ultra to VROD-img_0397.jpg  
Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
mkekid
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I say, go for it! I came from a few go fast bikes and nearly sold my current ride last summer for a "new" Vmax. Love my bike now, but would still do it in a heart beat if it were not for my wife. Still miss the speed/wow factor, but am satisfied for now...

Old 03-30-2012, 11:52 AM
FL-kruzen
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Get yourself a used Yamaha Vmax. Fast, comfortable, and did I mention fast. More upright riding position. Keep the Ultra

Quick Reply: Am I crazy - Ultra to VROD