Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 09:53 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,468 Likes on 4,045 Posts

Originally Posted by C.H.L.

Me, and my two riding buddies, just had our CC's cut out by a guy out in west Houston, and he does a GREAT job. He does NOT cut the pipe in half.... This way, there is not fittment issues going back together (too short, or welded back at an angle)

He cuts a widown in the pipe, removes a section, and uses an air chizzle to get all the crap out.... Then welds the widow he cut out back on.

He does super clean work, and it takes about an hour. He charges $100, but don't think if you bring him 10 he'll cut you a deal, he won't, we all 3 tried haha

It is $100 per pipe, take it or leave it. We are all 3 VERY happy with sound and performance after removal.

If you want his info, PM me, and I'll send it your way.

Thanks!!!!

Originally Posted by jazzman7295

Can you send me his info. Thanks

Do you realize he posted that almost 7 years ago...........?

The following 2 users liked this post by hattitude:
07FXSTOki (02-17-2019), Ddieselsmoke (07-06-2019)
Old 02-17-2019, 09:23 PM
John Imm (John)
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removed mine...if I had not the bike was about to be traded

Originally Posted by hoethree
Everything I have read here to date on this subject suggests that:

1) removing the cat does not require any changes to A/C or exhaust;
2) any tuner is NOT required (but may be recommended);
3) the Harley Stage 1 download is worthless
4) there is little, if any, performance gain by removing just the cat.
5) sound is subjective
6) there MAY be less heat and therefor some comfort improvement.

I think FuelMoto posted up some dyno results of a run both pre-removal and after removal of the cat and reported the cat made little or no difference in the results.

I know from the photos it appears that hardly ANYTHING could flow thru that metal honeycomb but I think I read where it present little if any obstruction to air flow.

There, a lot about something I know very little about.
That's not my experience at all. I may be the exception but my bike was too hot to enjoy. At 6000 miles my left slip on was brown and I was riding in April. I ordered a OEM exhaust header with cat removed. The bike is soooo much cooler. I don't care about the performance, it was fine. The bike ran way hotter than my twin cam. New bike is double cooled ultra limited. Harley-Davidson said it was normal. I've been to two rallies and never seen anotjaa bike with a black pipe . I'm happy now. They gave me another slip on from a take off I paid labor.

Old 02-18-2019, 11:42 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,544 Posts

I drilled mine out long ago and it was a great improvment. Damn thing was so hot i ended up riding my softail until the weather got cooler. I couldn't ride the thing on a warm day it was so hot. My wife refused to get on it. Yea, and it did sound better too.

The following users liked this post:
Pirate6 (07-08-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:57 PM
buddy67
Intermediate
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had removed moved heat shields and exhaust to get ceramic coated. So this past weekend I decided to drill out the cat while on the bike. It wasn't a hard job at all. Took me about a 1.5 hours or so. Once you get the first hole drilled you will probably be able to see the rear 02 probe (at least I did). There is no way that you would be able to hit with a 16" drill bit, at least on a 15 SG. Once I had enough drilled I put the shop vac on the end of the pipe and sucked out as much as I could. After that I started the bike and blew the rest out. I would say 99.9% of the cat is out. I didn't pull the cat for sound or power. I wanted it to reduce heat. Time will tell how much it works considering it still a bit chilly here in Ohio.

Old 03-19-2019, 11:34 PM
adam1948
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tuner or not

Once the cat is removed, I am hoping no tuner is needed on 2016 Swithback?

Old 06-29-2019, 02:03 AM
silbery
5th Gear

Originally Posted by hardheaded
I drilled mine out long ago and it was a great improvment. Damn thing was so hot i ended up riding my softail until the weather got cooler. I couldn't ride the thing on a warm day it was so hot. My wife refused to get on it. Yea, and it did sound better too.
I just bought a 2011 Ultra Classic last night and road it home about 2 hour drive. I was starting to think something was wrong with it because of so much heat on the right side. I have a 2007 Ultra Classic with true duals and Vance and Hines pipes and it's no where near as hot, even though I used to think it was hot prior to getting this 2011. I took the 2011 to a local shop today for fluid change and inspection and the owner was telling me the heat was because of the CC. I told him to go ahead and cut it out while he's got it in his shop. I was kind of surprised by this being needed, but after reading this whole thread, I'm glad I told him to go ahead and gut it for the $100 he's charging me. Can't wait to ride it again after he gets done with it!

Old 06-29-2019, 05:30 PM
miner999r
Road Captain
Received 214 Likes on 128 Posts

Bought a set of pipes with CAT removed. Still have old stock head pipes with CAT. W/O the CAT the ride is noticeably cooler and the decel popping is very much reduced; therefor objectives were met and I am happy with the mod. I have a stage 2 on my machine (has Harley street tuner) and so far have found no requirement to tune / dyno the bike for the type of riding I do (born to be mild). However, a tune / dyno might provide added benefit but to cheap to find out. As far as sound goes I can't tell, too doggone deaf.

The mod is inexpensive if you do the labour yourself and still inexpensive if you buy a set of gutted pipes and do the labour yourself.

Old 06-30-2019, 04:11 AM
e.nigma
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I am not including the guys name so I don't get flagged with.....

.... And I already know that.....

But here we go....

Me, and my two riding buddies, just had our CC's cut out by a guy out in west Houston, and he does a GREAT job. He does NOT cut the pipe in half.... This way, there is not fittment issues going back together (too short, or welded back at an angle)

He cuts a widown in the pipe, removes a section, and uses an air chizzle to get all the crap out.... Then welds the widow he cut out back on.

He does super clean work, and it takes about an hour. He charges $100, but don't think if you bring him 10 he'll cut you a deal, he won't, we all 3 tried haha

It is $100 per pipe, take it or leave it. We are all 3 VERY happy with sound and performance after removal.

Thanks!!!!

THis is how I deleted mine

Old 07-05-2019, 07:48 AM
falcontamr
Intermediate
Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 2011 RKC and removed the cat DIY... Took the head-pipe off, held it in a vice (cushioned to not scratch the pipe), and used an extended length mason drill bit. Took about an hour or so. I just ran the drill bit thru the cat a few times in the middle area, then ran it along the sides of the pipe to ream it out. The cat came out in chucks. After that, I wanted a little more sound, so I cut the baffles out of the stock pipes. It gave it a nice, deeper sound but not too loud. I also added the VIEDs to compensate for the already lean tune.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:01 PM
Flamethrower81
Stage I
Default Who is this guy?

I am not including the guys name so I don't get flagged with.....

.... And I already know that.....

But here we go....

Thanks!!!!
hi! I am not able to PM apparently but i would loveee to know who does this as i just bought a 2020 road king and am in dires need of someone to do this for me! I live in the heights in houston

Last edited by Flamethrower81; 01-15-2020 at 10:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Removal