Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:50 AM
LS Bob
Road Warrior
Received 175 Likes on 125 Posts

I have had some mechanics locally tell me they see issues with valves after removing the cat. Since I have absolutely never read of this issue on the Forums given the many who have removed theirs, I am inclined to call BS as to this being related. Then I figured, why not just post the question? Anyone with longer running time after cat removal experience any burnt valve issues?

Old 10-28-2016, 02:39 PM
B Bop
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

LS Bob - NO, will not effect your valves, the cat burns off residual unwanted emissions like an oven thus producing extreme heat causing some discomfort to rider. Many that have removed by gutting the cat state "no more heat", "a pleasure to ride again". Most have reported a lower or deeper sound using stock mufflers. No stage 1 is required but will not produce benefits in overall performance.

B Bop

2012 FLHR (Road King) Ember Red Sunglo & Merlo
Cruise Control, ABS, Chrome Aluminum Profile Laced Spoke Tubeless Wheels, Security Package, Saddle Bag LED Lid Spoilers, and an array of accessories that enhances nostalgic appearance & blood curdling performance.

Last edited by B Bop; 08-08-2017 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-28-2016, 02:44 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by LS Bob
I have had some mechanics locally tell me they see issues with valves after removing the cat. Since I have absolutely never read of this issue on the Forums given the many who have removed theirs, I am inclined to call BS as to this being related. Then I figured, why not just post the question? Anyone with longer running time after cat removal experience any burnt valve issues?
There's really no correlation between removing the CAT and burning valves. I'm at about 15,000 miles Catless. Was 20,000 on my Softail.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:24 PM
blgsxr89
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cc gutting

Originally Posted by C.H.L.
I am not including the guys name so I don't get flagged with.....

.... And I already know that.....

But here we go....

Me, and my two riding buddies, just had our CC's cut out by a guy out in west Houston, and he does a GREAT job. He does NOT cut the pipe in half.... This way, there is not fittment issues going back together (too short, or welded back at an angle)

He cuts a widown in the pipe, removes a section, and uses an air chizzle to get all the crap out.... Then welds the widow he cut out back on.

He does super clean work, and it takes about an hour. He charges $100, but don't think if you bring him 10 he'll cut you a deal, he won't, we all 3 tried haha

It is $100 per pipe, take it or leave it. We are all 3 VERY happy with sound and performance after removal.

If you want his info, PM me, and I'll send it your way.

Thanks!!!!
C H L..
Wondering if u still had the info on the individual who did ur CC cleaning? Vulcan97.cc@gmail.com

Old 08-05-2017, 10:58 AM
adam1948
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default FP3 tuner

The cats in my Fat boy Lo were in each muffler, so even after replacing them with V and H slip on's the heat was terrible because of the height of them plus I was getting an annoying back fire on deceleration. I went with a complete V&H exhaust system and also bought a FP3 tuner, best thing I ever did, bike runs perfect and after a few adjustments with FP3 tuner deceleration pop is completely gone and bike runs better than a new one.

Old 08-05-2017, 12:15 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Catless 2013 Triglide here. BIG heat reduction and no difference in performance. If anything, the exhaust is a tad louder but not by much.
A friend of mine cut the stock header, completely removed the cat with a spade bit and welded everything back together.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:13 PM
94ruck
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

I have done several of these the same way. i only cut 3 sides of the window and raise it up, chisel it out, put it down, weld and grind the weld smooth so the clamps fit better or the chrome trim. i quit doing it as it was hard to get paid and people would try to get me to cut my price. crazy. it is an easy job with a wire or tig welder...

Old 09-13-2017, 01:45 PM
Badguybrigman
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I would love to get that info on CC removal.. Thanks

I would love to get that info on CC removal..BadGuy Brigman's bike needs a cool down & some sound.. Thanks alot..

Old 09-15-2017, 11:38 AM
sand52667
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have or heard of any legal issues with removing the CC in their particular states inspections?

I can see all the benefits and only the one downside. (If I have to put a catted header back on to get through state inspections...)

Thanks

Old 09-15-2017, 12:07 PM
steelpony16
Road Master
Received 139 Likes on 87 Posts

Mine CC was removed by the Dealer back in 2012.

It is now for sale in the Touring For Sale Section with Chrome Heat Shields and O2 Sensors.

Never had any issues with valves or State Inspection.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Removal