Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging? A rattle? Have a strange issue - LONG read

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 05:59 PM
KYLIMITED
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2011 Limited with the cat removed and stage 1 air cleaner. PCV from Fuel Moto and had the same exact problem as yours. Keith has been sending maps to me with more fuel and nothing seemed to help. This past Friday he sent me one with ignition retarded in the 40&60% throttle position to -3 starting at 2000rpm. This helped some, but not completly. I went to the 15&20% throttle and and changed those to -3 also, everything is quiet. I have sent the map to Keith for him to look at tomorrow to make sure I can run the bike with this map and not hurt anything.

Last edited by KYLIMITED; 04-01-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

My 2011 Limited has the cat removed, (V&H Powerduals), V&H VO2 intake, SE street performance mufflers and Fuelpak. I have no pinging and my 6th gear is usable and pulls quite nicely at 2000 rpm. If I am running in the hills like on my WV and AR trips, I would shift to 5th while below 60, but upshift to 6th after that. Statements about 6th being useless below 3000 rpm are just wrong.

I hope you get it figured out because odd sounds can be difficult to find. The fairings/windshields will bounce a sound around making it appear to come from a different area.

Oh and I use mainly 87 octane and get better mpg with it. No pinging. Just did the 15K service and plugs are a nice light tan, no fouling, no deposits or erosion.

Your results may vary.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:28 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

so what is the rpms you are running when this is happening , and why would be buying stuff to fix you bike when it is under warrenty , run out of chrome , good luck keep us posted

Old 04-01-2012, 07:04 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I have a 2011 FLHR, no cat, VIED (read what else under my sig pic) and recently noticed a very faint 'Ping' in the higher speed, heavy load range and I just put 5k on the clock. It's not enough for me to worry yet as it still nowhere near what my Metric used to do at the same point surprisingly. I'm not convinced throwing more fuel at it is the answer. I took a 300 mile run up North yesterday and experimented with trying to replicate the sound I just noticed. I agree with delaying shifting into 6th gear, I've blown past RV's in 5th gear before running it well into the upper 80MPH's and never ran out of power or kicked in the rev limiter. Did so yesterday as well and if it would think about doing it, it was at the moment of hard throttling and never coming anywhere near the BS I had to endure with my Yammer. I will be watching this thread for data so everyone keep talking, I imagine many are doing the same.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just installed SE204 cams last month. I started hearing a sound like you describe around 2800 rpms. the last couple of days I started getting this squealing sound also. It was driving me nuts. I was thinking I screwed something up and it's gonna blow at any second. I kept changing my AFR timing tables and nothing was helping. Yesterday i took a large screwdriver and put the handle to my ear and listened to the cam area, lifters and valve area and didn't hear anything that would make one concerned. I started snooping around and finally found the issue. The left windshield screw had backed out and was causing the windshield and dash bag to make this knocking and squealing sound at a certain rpm ranges. I tightened up the screws and all is well.

Old 04-01-2012, 08:16 PM
hubble
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i've had this same problem since i bought my bike in 07. That summer it would ping a lot, so i did a stage 1 with a/c, jackpot mufflers, and a sert. Had it dynoed and it ran great. No matter what i did i couldn't get it to ping. That lasted for a year or so then the ping slowly started to come back. I then put in some 255 cams, and dresser duals with fatshotz and had it dynoed again, and not much ping. But here i am today and the ping is back and has been for a while. I have been using star tron fuel additive and that has almost eliminated the ping. I'm tired of having a dyno so i guess i'll just keep using the fuel additive.........

Old 04-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by hubble
I've had this same problem since i bought my bike in 07. That summer it would ping a lot, so i did a stage 1 with a/c, jackpot mufflers, and a sert. Had it dynoed and it ran great. No matter what i did i couldn't get it to ping. That lasted for a year or so then the ping slowly started to come back. I then put in some 255 cams, and dresser duals with fatshotz and had it dynoed again, and not much ping. But here i am today and the ping is back and has been for a while. I have been using star tron fuel additive and that has almost eliminated the ping. I'm tired of having a dyno so i guess i'll just keep using the fuel additive.........
It wouldn't surprise me if a lot of the pinging issues is directly related to ethanol in the gas.

Old 04-01-2012, 09:27 PM
Markymannn
Stellar HDF Member
Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by KSRoadKing
I always use 91 octane gas. I have tried octane booster. Doesn't matter if it his hot or cold outside.
Aren't you supposed to use 93/94? Although if you use booster and that doesn't help, then my suggestion probably doesn't either

Old 04-01-2012, 09:41 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Richening my fuel mixture range to 13.0-13.8 and then 13.0-13.4 eliminated a good part of the pinging I was experiencing, but it took some timing adjustments to eliminate the ping completely. I had to take out as much as 4 degrees at WOT. You can see my adjustments in the attached PCV Timing Table.

Attached Thumbnails Pinging? A rattle? Have a strange issue - LONG read-untitled.jpg  
Old 04-01-2012, 09:45 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Markymannn
Aren't you supposed to use 93/94? Although if you use booster and that doesn't help, then my suggestion probably doesn't either
91 is the best available in CA and many places I've travelled. I wish I could get 93/94. If I could get 93 or 94 I could probably put back some timing that I had to remove (see previous post).

Quick Reply: Pinging? A rattle? Have a strange issue - LONG read