Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys who have installed Jagg 10 row low mount w/o fan, before and after temp??

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 02:27 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtech
Thanks guys for the info you guys have no fan right?
No fan on mine. Post #8

Old 04-09-2012, 02:36 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by oldtech
Thanks guys for the info you guys have no fan right?
Correct. No fan and no thermostat on mine. On all the time.

Zach

Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
1320str8_liner
Cruiser
Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

So here is a question, I have an HD, oil cooler with no fan of course, but in traffic the bike still gets really hot, and it's tuned with the Thundermax, so does the Jagg cooler work better than the HD, even with no fan or is my bike just that hot, also Ive been reading about changing the oil pump or upgrading the oem spring, to make oil flow more... Give me some feed back

Old 04-10-2012, 06:56 AM
1320str8_liner
Cruiser

Which is a better fan HD w/ no fan, ultra cool, with 2 fans, or jagg w/ or without a fan?

Old 04-10-2012, 07:49 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I have one on mine but tend to get obsessed with things so I dont have a temp guage. Its an air cooled engine and they should all have em so I put one on.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:58 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320str8_liner
So here is a question, I have an HD, oil cooler with no fan of course, but in traffic the bike still gets really hot, and it's tuned with the Thundermax, so does the Jagg cooler work better than the HD, even with no fan or is my bike just that hot, also Ive been reading about changing the oil pump or upgrading the oem spring, to make oil flow more... Give me some feed back
You have several sources of heat that originate from combustion, the hottest being EGT which is what most people feel through the pipes, the next hottest is the heads/cylinders, which you also feel radiating off the motor and the ECM recognizes as engine heat as measured in the front head only, the third is oil which is helping to carry heat away from the heads. You can put the best oil cooler available on your bike, de-tune it with a grossly enriched A/F, and you will still feel the EGTs of the pipes, that cause people to say "my bike is hot". The bike is primarily air cooled, the only solution to prolonged operation in stopped or slow moving traffic is a parade fan. Again oil coolers only cool oil, when the bike stops moving, the CHTs skyrocket and the oil follows, the best oil cooler with a fan will barely slows the rapid rise in CHTs at a stop, and when the CHTs go up the oil temp soon goes up with it. I'm partial to a Jagg 10 row w/fan, it will keep your oil temp much lower. If traffic/town riding is your concern go with a parade fan.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:41 AM
1320str8_liner
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
You have several sources of heat that originate from combustion, the hottest being EGT which is what most people feel through the pipes, the next hottest is the heads/cylinders, which you also feel radiating off the motor and the ECM recognizes as engine heat as measured in the front head only, the third is oil which is helping to carry heat away from the heads. You can put the best oil cooler available on your bike, de-tune it with a grossly enriched A/F, and you will still feel the EGTs of the pipes, that cause people to say "my bike is hot". The bike is primarily air cooled, the only solution to prolonged operation in stopped or slow moving traffic is a parade fan. Again oil coolers only cool oil, when the bike stops moving, the CHTs skyrocket and the oil follows, the best oil cooler with a fan will barely slows the rapid rise in CHTs at a stop, and when the CHTs go up the oil temp soon goes up with it. I'm partial to a Jagg 10 row w/fan, it will keep your oil temp much lower. If traffic/town riding is your concern go with a parade fan.
Makes sense, so if I upgrade the oil pump or oem spring that should flow oil a little better and a Jagg with a fan should help cooling it "in theory" of course, so how is your Jagg installed, w or w/o the thermostat, is it manually turned on or on all the time?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:44 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 1320str8_liner
Makes sense, so if I upgrade the oil pump or oem spring that should flow oil a little better and a Jagg with a fan should help cooling it "in theory" of course, so how is your Jagg installed, w or w/o the thermostat, is it manually turned on or on all the time?
If you have a pre-07 model, the pump upgrade will have a favorable effect, I just can't personally quantify it for you from experience, I'm still running the little OEM pump in my 06. My Jagg fan assist system is of my own design and construct, very similar to the Jagg unit, but I have a bigger fan. I do run a thermostat, but I run a colder thermostat
than what Jagg or HD uses, kind of another topic but it works to further lowerer temps another 15 degrees. The current 185F Tstat is too hot to adequately compliment the Twin Cam oiling system. Personally I advocate the use of a Tstat, I like the idea of a quick warm up before starting to cool the oil, but its definately a debatable topic whether or not it's necessary. The non thermostat systems take significantly longer to come up to normalized temp. I always look at the range of operating conditions a bike is ridden in; If you only ride when it's like 90+, your bike will warm up quick enough without a thermostat, but most riders operate throughout at least 3 seasons when the temp gets cooler than peak summer temps. So the thermostat helps promote a quicker warm up in those cooler conditions.

Old 04-10-2012, 07:29 PM
EasyriderFI
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler

Originally Posted by tj316
my last bike had no fan , this bike I have a fan , the oil cooler is the same with or without a fan , my fan rarely kicks on the Jagg cooler cools so well
I was thinking hard about the fan assisted jag cooler but now I dont think so, I am not sure if they have one for my 06 FLHX yet

Old 04-11-2012, 07:47 AM
1320str8_liner
Cruiser

I think I may place the order for the Jagg Fan today, is there anything I should consider befor buying?

Quick Reply: Guys who have installed Jagg 10 row low mount w/o fan, before and after temp??