Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103's with oil comming thru breather?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Another fine Harley screw up. " Hey were gonna give you a dip stick to check the oil but don't ever fill it to the full mark", unfreakin believable. I don't remember getting that memo.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

my bike does this if I fill by the book....BUT...if I leave it about 1 pint low...it doesn't do it....SO...I use the pint not filled into the engine and add it to the 1 QT that goes into the primary.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:10 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Thats peculiar because I overfilled it 2 dots above full hot mark 1k miles ago thinking it would level out after some riding but has stayed there and I dont have any excessive dripping from my breather. There prob will be some on the jug lines going into the air filter but its designed to do that. I put compression clamps on the jug side of those hoses awhile back and wonder if dripping out from the hose fitting instead of it getting inhailed into the intake is why some drip outside and some dont? It gets flimsy from the heat causing it not to seal real well and the clamps may keep the integrity of the seal better?

Old 04-23-2012, 10:11 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

It isn't just HD that will do this. I had Yamaha before HD and their forum had several posts to the same subject, and yes the most common problem was filling to the full mark. I've always ran slightly below full mark and have not had the oil in the breather problem on my bikes, whether they were V-Star 1100, Venture's with the V4 1300 engine or HD's 96" and 103" engines.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:51 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Oil level on any engine, big or small, 2 or 4 stroke, gas or diesel, should not be kept at the upper mark, especially if the oil is not at operating temp. The oil level rises and lowers with temperature lean angle etc of the bike. If the oil is above the low mark and below the top mark, perfect. This is the "safe zone". Above the top mark or below the low mark, although there is a safety factor, can only lead to grief.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Another fine Harley screw up. " Hey were gonna give you a dip stick to check the oil but don't ever fill it to the full mark", unfreakin believable. I don't remember getting that memo.
Eh, it's not really that big a deal, and not at all unusual or unique to Harleys. As others have posted, it happens on other bike brands, as well as to engines in non-motorcycle applications.

I own an EzGo Sport II. If I fill the engine to the full mark on the dipstick and run it up the hill my driveway is on, it will smoke like a mosquito fogger. Same issue, same advice from the dealer, and, voila', problem solved.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:17 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nute
Oil level on any engine, big or small, 2 or 4 stroke, gas or diesel, should not be kept at the upper mark, especially if the oil is not at operating temp. The oil level rises and lowers with temperature lean angle etc of the bike. If the oil is above the low mark and below the top mark, perfect. This is the "safe zone". Above the top mark or below the low mark, although there is a safety factor, can only lead to grief.
that sounds like a good approach.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 PM
TNCarters
Road Master
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

2011 Limited has only put oil in the A/C once when I filled it slightly above full mark. At full mark or just a cup below and all is good. Picked up a turkey baster at grocery and sucked about a cup out when I overfilled and now is fine. Funny it never dripped out but found some in A/C. What got me to looking was the guy following me said he could smell it when I let off during deceleration.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Nute
I can honestly say I completely disagree with your post. I think you need to read your post and maybe edit some things like, "should not be kept at the upper mark especially if the oil is not at operating temp" Why would you want the oil at the full mark at operating temp? If the oil is at the full mark at operating temp then hell yes, you over filled it. I have been changing oil in my own vehicles, mowers, motorcycles, atv's and everything else. Never, ever had an issue with putting the oil level at the full mark when cold. This is when it should be checked, cold.

Old 04-23-2012, 06:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,961 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Check out what Harley says is the correct level-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/oil-r...oil-level.html

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Quick Reply: 103's with oil comming thru breather?