Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock Air psi- How Often?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 10:56 AM
TheArchitect
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MIBPreacher
Are the two caps near the right saddlebag where you adjust the air and how much should it be?
Not sure of the location on yours (it's on the left on my 07 SG) but I wanted to mention that you shouldn't use a compressor to air it up if you haven't done it before because it can blow out the diaphrams. H-D makes a little hand pump especially for adjusting the air in the shocks. If you look at the top of your shocks you should see a fitting with a small plastic tube coming out of it, follow that tube and it should lead you to the fill valve.

Old 04-23-2012, 10:59 AM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I check the air in my shocks once a month. Tires I normally do once a week. I ride daily so I cheat and do the old boot test on the tires.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:00 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 61 Posts

I check the shocks monthly, the tires every other week.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:07 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I've only checked my shocks a few times in the nearly two years I've had my bike. Based on my experience they only lose a psi or two in several months. I know that's not a whole lot of data points to draw any conclusions from, but now I usually only check them before a long trip.

Same with tires, I'm not nearly as **** about checking them as some folks. Usually once a month or so. They're always within a few psi. If a tire is significantly low, you'll know it when you ride.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:32 AM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I check mine about every 3 months or so. Usually has lost a pound or possibly 2 in that time.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM
tbills66
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Always before going on long ride. Other than that probably 2 times a month. Usually loses just a little.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TheArchitect
Not sure of the location on yours (it's on the left on my 07 SG) but I wanted to mention that you shouldn't use a compressor to air it up if you haven't done it before because it can blow out the diaphrams. H-D makes a little hand pump especially for adjusting the air in the shocks. If you look at the top of your shocks you should see a fitting with a small plastic tube coming out of it, follow that tube and it should lead you to the fill valve.
Good advice. Don't overfill them either. The older bikes were at thier limit at 30 or 35 psi where as the newer ones can go as high as 50 psi. Best advice is to consult your owners manual see what pressure you need according to the specs in manual. You will notice a much nicer ride when you put air in them. I know my bike never had any air in the shocks until I put it there. Don't know about all dealerships but any I've been familiar with don't put air in the tires or shocks unless asked to.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:14 PM
ReidRik_Von
Road Captain
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

As I was looking for an alternate location for the air tank for my FLHP air-ride seat, I figured a way to get a pressure gauge attached to the right shock. In doing this I removed the y-valve that was mounted on the left side of the bike so the air-line goes directly from the left shock to the connector on the right side. Gauge is visible just inside of the right saddle bag:

Here are the brass fittings I had PC'd black:

THis setup moved the valve to the top of the shock so it is a bit easier to get at.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:51 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by ReidRik_Von
As I was looking for an alternate location for the air tank for my FLHP air-ride seat, I figured a way to get a pressure gauge attached to the right shock. In doing this I removed the y-valve that was mounted on the left side of the bike so the air-line goes directly from the left shock to the connector on the right side. Gauge is visible just inside of the right saddle bag:

Here are the brass fittings I had PC'd black:

THis setup moved the valve to the top of the shock so it is a bit easier to get at.
Nice! Nothing like being able to check the pressure with just a glance.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:58 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Check weekly but not always needed but sometimes is .. Just did a 6,000+ mile trip to AZ and back needed to add air once in a 2 week period .. Sometimes goes a month easy without other times might lose 5-10 in a week think all depends on what kind of riding have done .. whether Solo, 2 up loaded, type of roads ridden , etc ..

Quick Reply: Shock Air psi- How Often?