Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil temp

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 09:28 AM
Armstronges
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone. The temp here is in the 70s and my oil temp is anywhere between 210 and 230 depending on the traffic. As per everyones response perfectly normal. I was hoping it would run a little cooler after the pcv and fuelmoto map. When it starts getting into the 90s and 100s I may have to invest in a oil cooler.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:40 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Armstronges
Thanks everyone. The temp here is in the 70s and my oil temp is anywhere between 210 and 230 depending on the traffic. As per everyones response perfectly normal. I was hoping it would run a little cooler after the pcv and fuelmoto map. When it starts getting into the 90s and 100s I may have to invest in a oil cooler.
If you are not doing so already, running synthetic oil will also help contribute to bringing down the oil temps.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:48 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Two years ago I was attending the State Hog Rally. The Daytona Drill Team was performing. They were all riding Ultra's and EGC's. I noticed not one of them had oil cooler's on. The district Manager of about 30 years was standing next to me. I made a comment as to wonder what oil they were using. He introduced himself and said we'll ask them when they finish. One of the Drill team member's walked over and started talking with the District manager. We ask him what oil he used. He said Bruce Rossmeyer HD did all their service and they used Syn3 20/50. The manager told me The oil should run around 230. That's what I'd been told by several Tech's. That's why if it don't come with an oil cooler, it don't get one. Harley engineer's and builds these engines. They will warranty them up to 7 years unlimited miles. They don't say we will warranty the engine if you install an oil cooler! I've never had a engine problem due to overheat. I use a good Synthetic oil and change at prescribed intervals.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:21 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Armstronges
Well you currently got 230F OT @70 degrees ambient, so if you ride in 90+ you’ll probably breech the threshold of conventional oil, you may wanna go synthetic or get a cooler, or not.

Weavr99FLHT, good info, whats the source, I'd like to read more, I recognize a qualified answer when I see one, and this guy is on point with oil info.
RIPSAW is on point too; Ambient temp has a simple linear effect, oil temp goes up and down equal to ambient, if its 20 degrees hotter outside your normalized oil temp will be 20 degrees hotter. wheeather or not its necessary to keep your oil/engine cool is debatable, but it is a universal truth in the automotive perfomance world that cooler is better, to a point, but you won't reach that point of diminished returns with an air cooled harley motor, no matter what you do to mitigate heat.

BTW the new ones do come with an oil cooler, so are the HD design engineers suddenly changing their position on the subject or are they just cowtowing to the desires of joe public for the sake of marketing?
"That's why if it don't come with an oil cooler, it don't get one." They don't come with an O2 signal modifier either, eh; I think Doc Holliday said it best with "my hypocrisy knows no bounds".

Old 04-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The new touring bikes also have 103's. Oil cooler's are stock on 103's because the engineer's feel they are reaching the threshold of needing one. They would probably be ok without a cooler. I get my info from expert's and what I've witnessed myself over the years, not from condescending legends in their own mind!!

Old 04-24-2012, 10:40 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
Harley's have no thermostat, so pretty much anything goes as long as you are moving but remember 90 will get you a temperature, same drive and speed and load and 100 outside is going to get 10 more. See my bike 235 on 100 degree days easily, and during winter see it under same condition but winter day at 150. I really believe as long as you are moving nothing will really hurt it, but I would not push it above 60 or so if it's 115 outside. I see the big crusers talking 265. Harleys are just like lizards. See people talk differenet oils make a difference but to me that's a bunch of nonsence that's not measureable in real world driving....
According to the link below, the H-D premium oil cooler has a 185* thermostat..
http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 04-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Weavr99FLHT, good info, whats the source, I'd like to read more, I recognize a qualified answer when I see one, and this guy is on point with oil info.
Joe Minton wrote the tech column for American Rider Magazine (a division of Rider Magazine) until they stopped publishing. I don't know where he is now. I believe he has also worked for the MOCO off and on as consultant to their engineers and had a hand in writing their Service Manuals. I quoted from an old issue of AR that I had typed up a while ago because the question seems to come up a lot.

the bottom line - don't judge based on cylinder head temp and how it feels on your leg - cylinder head temp is not indicative of oil temp. if you are concerned, get an Oil Temp guage whether it be a dash mount, or Digital Dipstick or something else before making decisions.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 AM
wheel752
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't go over 60 mph at 115 degrees.... That's funny
or... maybe he meant in 3rd ....
had to have... how could you not go over 60

Old 04-24-2012, 11:11 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronp42
The new touring bikes also have 103's. Oil cooler's are stock on 103's because the engineer's feel they are reaching the threshold of needing one. They would probably be ok without a cooler. I get my info from expert's and what I've witnessed myself over the years, not from condescending legends in their own mind!!
I knew the 103 card was gonna fly in short order, all else being equal, if 6 cubic inches put them over the heat threshhold, then the 96ers must be real close, so whats the harm in a adding a little margin of comfort with an oil cooler. What exactly makes a district manager a mechanical expert about anything, sounds to me like he regurgitated the the exact 230F respone that the factory programmed him with. I get my info from what I've witnessed also, and not just from what I recall from my leisure riding, but from what I've purposely observed in my own dedicated testing and evaluation of my own cooling products.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:14 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
.......See people talk differenet oils make a difference but to me that's a bunch of nonsence that's not measureable in real world driving....
Took oil temp readings the first 1k miles and did the same after changing to synthetic oils at first service. Average oil temp went down 10*.

Quick Reply: Oil temp