Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanna see what happens if you do burnouts on a Harley? Pics inside...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 09:48 PM
jcb1975@yahoo.com
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brak4222
Burnouts are for showoffs with low self esteem.
I have heard that same thing said in general about people who ride Harleys.

Old 05-17-2012, 09:49 PM
09FLHT
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, the moral of the story is, if you dont have money to burn, dont do burnouts?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:54 PM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like a heat treatment issue the way those teeth got mashed! UGH!

Old 05-17-2012, 10:24 PM
av ultra
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Wow, Ive pinned the throttle on my mx bike out of the gate and never had anything like that happen, I do john Force style burnouts with my wifes mustang, you'd think a motorcycle with a "build it like a freaght train" mentalaity would make sure some crazy yahoo (like me ) pins the throttle and dumps the clutch that it dosent puke its drivetrain out, kinda dissapointed about this, considering i want to take my bike to the dragstrip. still am going to get my ton o fun down the track tho.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:08 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by av ultra
Wow, Ive pinned the throttle on my mx bike out of the gate and never had anything like that happen, I do john Force style burnouts with my wifes mustang, you'd think a motorcycle with a "build it like a freaght train" mentalaity would make sure some crazy yahoo (like me ) pins the throttle and dumps the clutch that it dosent puke its drivetrain out, kinda dissapointed about this, considering i want to take my bike to the dragstrip. still am going to get my ton o fun down the track tho.
I blew up a clutch in my CR500 out at the dunes, too many times slipping the clutch instead of downshifting. I won't do that again, LOL.

I've been guilty of doing rolling burnouts with my bike in the rain before, it's just too effortless. I haven't done any dry stationary ones, though. It feels too much like abuse compared to trying it on a lighter bike with more power.

Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 AM
bagdaddy09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it!! Replacement parts are made for a reason. Next time it will be stronger.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:06 AM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've seen lots of guys leave their clutch in the burn out pit at bike shows. Usually they're full of liquid courage and have a really expensive bike. I suspect in the morning they are rethinking the previous evenings good idea.

It's always fun to watch some guy trying to burn up his tire, then he realizes he just took out his clutch instead. It's really not that showy to smoke your clutch...it just stinks up the place and usually makes a mess.

I'm not saying its the wrong thing to do, I'm just saying I've seen lots of guys get unexpected results doing a burn out.

From the pics posted....note to self "if your going to do burn outs, expect to buy a clutch assembly instead of a tire".

Good luck to our friends doing burn outs.

Old 05-18-2012, 09:32 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by qtrracer
When you posted this on another forum you totally downplayed the burnout abuse theory of the breakage, claiming an occasional burnout. You also seemed like you might have been trying to blame the type of primary fluid for the issue as you changed the type at your 25k service then said it started making noise so you changed back and the noise went away. I guess it didn't fix itself.
I posted that right after it happened, asking for advice on a technical forum. And what is an occasional burnout anyway? Is 20 burnouts in 26k miles occasional or frequent? And it's 26k HARD miles too, since all my riding buddies have way bigger motors than me. Only place I lose 'em is in the twisties.

Switching from Redline to Formula+ did make the clutch howl. Switching back to Redline made it go away. But there was still a new whine in the primary that wasn't going away.

Originally Posted by FX4
I never understood the whole burnout pit thing at rallies. I always think, nope not my bike.
Originally Posted by equandt
I've seen lots of guys leave their clutch in the burn out pit at bike shows. Usually they're full of liquid courage and have a really expensive bike. I suspect in the morning they are rethinking the previous evenings good idea.

It's always fun to watch some guy trying to burn up his tire, then he realizes he just took out his clutch instead. It's really not that showy to smoke your clutch...it just stinks up the place and usually makes a mess.

I'm not saying its the wrong thing to do, I'm just saying I've seen lots of guys get unexpected results doing a burn out.

From the pics posted....note to self "if your going to do burn outs, expect to buy a clutch assembly instead of a tire".

Good luck to our friends doing burn outs.
Originally Posted by RANGER73
If you wanted to smoke tires, you should have bought a race car. Gee Golly, I bet you pull wheely's too.
Fix it. And learn a lesson.
Or if you've got the money, Do it again.
Can't fix stupid.
Who the heck does burnouts in a pit? Against a wall? What the heck is the point in that? Gotta do it on the roll if you're gonna do it at all. And yeah, I'd do wheelies if the front of my bike would come up. Just not enough torque.

I am not complaining. Just posted it 'cause it's entertaining to see responses here. I'll have that junk back together better than new tonight!

Old 05-18-2012, 09:47 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 08-24-2019, 09:52 PM
pokitchange
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JCleary
Fortunately for both bikes the primary chain didn't hop off the sprocket. When that happens, the chain wraps around the crank sprocket and locks up the motor resulting in major carnage!
Oh man just the thought of that makes my bank account cry

Quick Reply: Wanna see what happens if you do burnouts on a Harley? Pics inside...