Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I Put Rear Saddlebag Guards on Street Glide?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 12:56 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the idea for protection but It realy takes away from the look of a Street Glide and that stripped down hot rod look imo. Also if you ride two up I believe those bars might be a pia to your significant other. You could also go with the low profile ones to make wifey more comfy. So for me I prefer them off for now and hope I wont regret it.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:39 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loved 'em. And added the bags.

I still have the stock set from the '08... Should probably put 'em on the "Buy 'em" page somewhere...

Old 05-18-2012, 02:49 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,499 Likes on 1,607 Posts

As y'all know these guards are standard equipment on an Ultra.

Anyways, I had both of the bags on my bike for years without an incident.

After thinking about I decided that I didn't need to carry two quarts of oil so I bought one of the bagsthat has the water bottle attachment, basically for my wife even though she rides her own bike.
(I was thinking plastic bottle with ice for between gas stop breaks.

Well, the first trip we took, we stayed at a motel near a little town in IL and the next morning I noticed that the bag was gone/missing.

I can't say with certainty that the bag was stolen off my bike or if it has fallen off during the 500 miles that rode the day before.

You may want to remove these bags and toss them in your saddlebags if you're staying somewhere that may be unsafe.

Old 05-18-2012, 03:26 AM
2005rkcustom
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends... I like my bike clean... Not into adding a lot of unnecessary hoopla. I can tell you, if you lay it down the bags are the least of your worries. I say keep it clean.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:05 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

If it's an opinion about the way it looks that you want, mine is "I don't like it".

Now if you are worried about dropping your bike and the damage that may ensue, yes it's a good idea. I guess I will just take my chances.

Shakey

Old 05-18-2012, 06:08 AM
badcat222
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the guards do offer added protection, I really like the clean look of the Street Glide, and the Ultra Limited without them.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:18 AM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I put the wrap-around guards on my ultra limited. When I had my ultra classic, I, uh, kinda fell over in a parking lot once. A little scuffing on the guard, not a scratch on the bags. Definitely worth it to me. YMMV.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:24 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Really! Just 150.00? Is that for both sides iclick or per side? For that price I'll do it as well.

Originally Posted by iclick
Good reason.

Yep, another good reason. I've been doing that for almost 15 years with an insulated plastic bottle from Walmart (hunting and camping section). It's getting a bit ragged-out and I might have to check out the bottle you refer to at Cabella's. I carry it filled with Gatorade on longer rides, especially in summer, and on trips I carry a Ziplok bag containing powdered Gatorade and get ice and water from stations along the way. It's important to select a bottle with a wide mouth to allow easy ice filling from soft-drink ice machines. To date I've never had a store charge me for filling the bottle with ice and I've long since stopped asking and just get it. I usually grab some ice when I buy something else, like gas, which justifies the theft at least in my own mind.

The most-obvious reason to add the guards is to protect the bags from the inevitable when you forget to pull down the kickstand or otherwise let the bike fall over. It wouldn't take much to destroy an expensive plastic saddlebag, and even a minor scrape can be an expensive repair job.

I bought my guards and supports on Ebay for $100, but since that time HD has offered a kit for $150. It has everything you'll need, but if you buy a used set of guards remember that if you will also need the supports that go under the bags. Buy a used set and sell the SG supports afterward. Try the For Sale section of this forum, too. I wouldn't be without them.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:17 AM
rebelpride112006
Cruiser

I have a set off a 2006 ultra that have the front crash bar and the two bars that wrap around the bag. Ill be glad to tade with someone for
Street glide style supports.

Old 05-18-2012, 07:54 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

Although mine is the Roadie, and didn't come with them on. I too debated about keeping the "cool factor" look or add a bit of "just in case."

I decide upon the "just in case". In fact, last week a good friend was riding at a very low speed (20-25 mph) at the oceanfront strip and wouldn't you know it that a dude on a bicycle cut him off. Long story short he was heading north and when he was ramsacked by the bicyle dude, he scoot was facing south. He ended up w/ a big o charlie horse and NO, NOTTA scratch on his Road King w/ saddle bag & engine guards.

Ride Safe,

YELLOWBIRD

Quick Reply: Should I Put Rear Saddlebag Guards on Street Glide?