Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding in the rain....Question??

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 07:24 PM
S1dewinder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rode from colorado springs to denver in rain last month, worst ride of my life. Dark when it hit, rain doesn't. Clear off the windscreen for some reason. As I slowed down cause I couldn't see, traffic didn't. 18 wheelers blowing past me in their cloud of water vapor. Muddy water vapor blowing off the road, coated the windscreen. Too tall to see over, had to lean to the right to see around it. My glasses then took the vapor and I soon couldn't see through them. I rode 100 miles with my flasher on, on the shoulder of I-25. I have never felt closer to death than on that ride, and I did a summer in Baghdad in 05. Nothing I did allowed better visibility.

As a result of that ride I will ditch the stock windshield for a shorter one, one that I can see over. And I'll have to figure out what to do about lenses getting coated in dirty water. Not cool as is.

But I was wearing harley raingear. If I had wrecked that night I would have been dry!

Old 05-19-2012, 07:24 PM
dwg1956
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red N Gold
Harley hi viz rainsuit with gaitors, waterproof gloves and though it sounds dorky, I carry some goggles actually two pair, one clear, one tinted. Plus, my helmet has a drop down sunshield if the rain is really bad
+1 on the goggles 10.00 a pair on ebay and work great in the rain

Old 05-19-2012, 08:09 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Full face Shoei, frog toggs, Danner boots. Dry in any storm. Done.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:20 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Red N Gold
Harley hi viz rainsuit with gaitors, waterproof gloves and though it sounds dorky, I carry some goggles actually two pair, one clear, one tinted. Plus, my helmet has a drop down sunshield if the rain is really bad

Old 05-19-2012, 09:31 PM
greendragon52
Tourer

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

I've ridden in some hellacious rain storms myself. Prefer the shorter look over windshield as opposed to the taller look through. As for glasses fogging, I've been told that some spit on rubbed into the inside of the lens helps, and have also been told that NOVUS plastic polish/cleaner acts as a good fog preventer. Otherwise, drop the glasses a bit and let them de-fog and your eyeballs will feel like they are being sand-blasted by the rain. Definitely invest in a quality rain suit. I've had my HD rain suit for over 10 years and it has held up well. The cheap ones will tear up real quick. For all the money you would spend replacing cheap suits, you would have been better off spending a few extra bucks and get a good quality suit that will last and keep you dry.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen1978
You guys got some links to some good rain gear that wont break the bank and pack small?
This is what I bought for the wife and I. Having to buy for both of us, along with some other things for a planned trip, I didn't have a lot of money to spend. Haven't had to use it yet, but I like what I see so far. Pay special attention to the sizing chart. I wear clothing in size large. I figured I'd need XL to fit over that clothing. I followed the sizing chart and got a medium. Fits perfect.

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Rain-Gear/RS5031Grey

Old 05-19-2012, 10:34 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

We have HD suits that we bought before going to the 95th Anniversary. They paid for themselves just on that trip. It rained for 6 days. Have CruiserWorks boots that have been waterproof so far.

Our windshields are cut to be looked over and we wear yellow glasses in the rain. The yellow seems to gather light better than the clear. There are several products our there that will keep the glasses from fogging, and Plexus on the windshield will help it shed water.

Bill

Old 05-19-2012, 11:02 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Punjabi HD
Need a good rain suit cheap will shred apart in the windy conditions and it looks like parachute till totally breaks apart as for the foggy windshield or face shield or goggles just use a drop of dish soap and just rub it with soft cloth makes a huge difference.
I agree, was with a friend that had a cheap rain suit that shred and tore. We rode in the rain for twelve hours. He was one miserable hombre.

Last edited by FX4; 05-19-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 05-19-2012, 11:07 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Well having lived in South Florida, thunderstorms blow up in no time at all so a rain suit is kind of worthless. What I have found that helps keep rain out of my boots is a good set of chaps. I find a 3/4ths helmet with a face shield is about the best way to go in the rain. If I know I am going to be riding in the rain then I put my rain suit on in advance.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:16 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I rode 4 weeks ago for 4 days in the rain, 2 of the days were interstate with very heavy rain. I was wearing Danner Acadia uninsulated boots. Only the top two inches in my boots got wet from wicking through the socks. You may have had your boots tied too loose and allowed water in.

Last edited by K Melancon; 05-20-2012 at 09:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain....Question??