Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HDPDPLUS iPod Integration Kit For Harley Davidson Harmon Kardon Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 08:07 AM
Todd7446
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BugBYter
Glad to hear the cable makes it to the tourpak. Everything I've read about it here only mentions putting it in a saddlebag or lower fairing. I would rather have it in the tourpak.

I plan on adding a tourpak relocator that moves it back up to 3". Is there enough cables to do that?
Trying to remember for sure. I think there will be enough to do that, but I think it'll be getting close.

The other trick for the install was to do it in reverse. Pull one of the rubber grommets out of the TourPak and fish the head unit end of the cable through (from inside the TourPak). Now stuff the grommet back into the hole. Feed the cable under the seat, under the tank, and up into the fairing. Now just slice through the liner and make a little hole and feed the cable through the slice as you put the liner back in. Ends up being a very clean looking install.

I didn't want it in my saddlebag either. Take them off to clean, and didn't want to be fishing cables through all of the time.

Last edited by Todd7446; 05-23-2012 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:18 AM
56tbird
Tourer

I was going to pull the trigger on the Iron Cross IPOD interface, but after talking with them, decided to pass. I'm mounting my Ipad2 for a trip to Sturgis and found out their interface won't charge it and won't allow me to use the hand controls with it. So, I'm using a 3.5mm cord from the Ipad2 to the aux input on the radio. I challenge anyone to tell the difference in sound quality at 70mph. I'll spend the $250+ on better speakers.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:14 AM
Da Shadow
Tourer

If you use the 3.5 mm output of the iPad rather than line out through the adapter plug you will notice a difference. I could not understand why my iPod did not sound as good as the FM through the HK redio so I posted the question here. The reply I got was that using the 3.5 mm output of the iPod is taking the output through the headphone amplifier but if you take the output from the adapter plug you get line out which is bypassing the headphone amp. I spent nine dollars for a cable and charger and the difference in the sound of my iPod is like night and day. Louder and clearer. I am still going to buy the Iron Cross product for the handlebar control feature but in the past 12 months and 10k miles I have had my FLHTK I have spent so much money on it I hurt my own feelings. I gotta take a breather.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:20 AM
BugBYter
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd7446
Trying to remember for sure. I think there will be enough to do that, but I think it'll be getting close.

The other trick for the install was to do it in reverse. Pull one of the rubber grommets out of the TourPak and fish the head unit end of the cable through (from inside the TourPak). Now stuff the grommet back into the hole. Feed the cable under the seat, under the tank, and up into the fairing. Now just slice through the liner and make a little hole and feed the cable through the slice as you put the liner back in. Ends up being a very clean looking install.
Thanks for the install tip.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:25 AM
56tbird
Tourer

The headphone amplifier is doing nothing more than increasing the level of the line out. If you use too much IPOD volume, you will overload the HK and get distortion and other artifacts.
You have to play with the EQ and volume settings on the IPOD if you use the 3.5mm plug in to the aux port. I did and my ipod sound is as good or better than the best local FM station that I could find.

Old 05-23-2012, 09:33 AM
PhoneGuy-MI
Tourer

Originally Posted by Da Shadow
...if you take the output from the adapter plug you get line out which is bypassing the headphone amp. I spent nine dollars for a cable and charger and the difference in the sound of my iPod is like night and day. Louder and clearer.
What is the part # for this $9 cable that uses the adapter plug and what type of charger did you use?

Old 05-23-2012, 09:35 AM
bxtzd3
Intermediate

if you use the headphone port it wont transfer the track info and you wont be able to control the ipod remotely

Old 05-23-2012, 09:36 AM
bxtzd3
Intermediate

better sound or ease of play. your choice

Old 05-23-2012, 09:44 AM
56tbird
Tourer

Originally Posted by bxtzd3
if you use the headphone port it wont transfer the track info and you wont be able to control the ipod remotely
Understood, but you're not going to get that with just a $9 dock cable either. You need the $250 interface. When I have my IPOD, I just put it on shuffle and let it go. When I use my IPAD2 on a long trip, its screen is a heck of a lot better than the HK one.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Da Shadow
Tourer

I bought them on eBay. Search on the item numbers I believe they are both still active.

Item numbers 150776447455 and 130606886495 cost shipped was 6.99 and 3.39 and shipping took a couple of days through USPS.

Quick Reply: HDPDPLUS iPod Integration Kit For Harley Davidson Harmon Kardon Radio