Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Apes on a Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:22 AM
bruin01
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[IMG][/IMG]

!6 inch Paul Yaffe Monkey Bagger Bars here and I love them

Old 08-07-2012, 08:11 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
Well if those in the picture are what you are talking about, they look like they are taller than the fairing and uncomfortable to boot! But I would have to ride it to know for sure about the latter.
Those are 10's in the pic. They are pushed ALL THE WAY forward. The bottom of the grip is right at the top of the fairing. Most people seem to pull the bars back towards them a bit. When you pull them forward they effectively get shorter. I have almost 3K on those and they are tons more comfortable than the stockers! I'd guess 12's to be even more comfortable but Yaffe's 12's are really 12.5 and I'm not willing to go 2.5" taller b/c of how it looks with the fairing.

Trying to talk myself into custom 11's as I said above, but it isn't working. Not only do I think it might look bad being above the fairing but my clutch cable won't be totally hidden as it is now.

...on the other hand the spike would still be below the top of the T-Bags and the bottom of the grip would only clear the fairing by an inch while being more comfortable. Geeeeeez...I just don't know....

Old 08-07-2012, 11:22 AM
stan60
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I put the 11" Santees on mine. I did keep the heated grips, but it is a pain in the butt. Ended up cutting off the end of the stock bars and the Santees. Welded the cut off piece of stock bar on to the new Santee, problem solved. Very comfortable height and angles for me.

Attached Thumbnails Apes on a Ultra Limited-new-bars2.jpg   Apes on a Ultra Limited-new-bars4.jpg   Apes on a Ultra Limited-new-bars5.jpg   Apes on a Ultra Limited-new-bars.jpg  
Old 08-07-2012, 11:51 AM
Kingspoke
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Timmy B
These are from Hill Country customs and I kept the heated grips but went with the ***** g heated grips to keep with uniformity of the bike I think they are so comfortable. It took a small bit of time, 5minutes to get used of them but I love them, so yes you can have apes, not that they are large apes, but they really beat the hell out of the stock bars. No more sleepy right arm and shoulder pain. Plus HCC makes the istall very easy with a wiring harness

Your painted inner fairing with tweeter pod looks great!

Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 PM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

OK, Yaffe helped me make up my mind. Apparently these bars are not quite as custom as you might think. Yaffe said they COULD NOT make a set of 11's. I was hoping they would do 11's at no extra charge, and fearful they would charge extra, but not being able to do them at all surprises me.

So the new 10's are going on. Hopefully this weekend. The ones I'm taking off MAY be spoken for. If anyone is interested though I will tell you who I'm returning them to and maybe you can strike a deal with them. I understand 10's without having to wait is a pretty big deal.

Old 08-11-2012, 06:19 AM
glenalt
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

subscribed

Old 02-04-2013, 07:39 PM
Winston
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=Blue Duck;10072044]12" Yaffe classic apes on my 2010 Limited. I finished them on July 4th. Heated grips work fine. Tested them when it was upper 90's and almost roasted my hands. Never thought I would like apes but that has changed. My problem with the stock bars was the slight reach on long trips would cause discomfort with my elbows since they were extended for long periods of time. With the apes my arms are higher with a slight bend. The other benefit is I now sit more upright and even the seat feels more comfortable. Last benefit is the mirrors clear my sholders and are more useful. Good luck onyour choice!

What else has to be changed with 12"? Clutch cable etc.....

Old 02-04-2013, 09:23 PM
Blue Duck
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I changed clutch, upper abs brake line and extended control wires

Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM
HarleyLew
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Timmy B
These are from Hill Country customs and I kept the heated grips but went with the ***** g heated grips to keep with uniformity of the bike I think they are so comfortable. It took a small bit of time, 5minutes to get used of them but I love them, so yes you can have apes, not that they are large apes, but they really beat the hell out of the stock bars. No more sleepy right arm and shoulder pain. Plus HCC makes the istall very easy with a wiring harness

Timmy,

How tall are those bars from HCC? How thick, etc? Is it just a wiring harness that you get from HCC or can you get the works?

Thanks!

Old 02-06-2013, 05:57 AM
Timmy B
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: 12 year, Colombia, 4 years Mexico, currently In Kuwait, but Boston is HOME!!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry for the late response, been out on biz, the bars are 12" bars 1&1/4" and they came with all the wiring and cables. Y ou have the choice on cables, I went with stainless braided. The heated grips were a bit of challenge because of the extra wiring but I got her done. The company is pretty good at fitting you bike. Also, you can check out the website for preconfigured set ups. Again sorry for the late response good luck and rubber side down.

Quick Reply: Apes on a Ultra Limited