Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop and go commuting on an UC....

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2012, 12:56 PM
chunkybug
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop and go commuting on an UC....

Yes, I know, riding needs to be enjoyable, but given I don't get to ride much on weekends, I ride to work. Now that school has started and I drive into a busy Chicago suburban area, I have the opportunity to toast my inner thighs with slow and go traffic. The other day, I tried to find a less congested route home (stupid idea). Well, I ended up in a LONG line going through 3 intersections and a commuter train crossing. My process is to not creep one car length at a time, but to let a space of 2-4 cars develop in front of me, then motor up. At least I get some air on the motor. I did this during a mile long back-up for about 10-15 minutes. Then it happened...the knucklehead behind me in his Toyota mini-van decided I wasn't moving fast enough, so he beeped. I flipped. Rather than get off the bike and ask him about his errant signal, as this would give us all a bad name, I let the flip be my formal response. A few minutes later, we hit an intersection red light. There were about 6 cars ahead, and all of us would make it through the light, but I elected to hold for 5-6 seconds at the light, and as others proceeded, I waited...1-2-3-4-5-6 seconds, and then it happened...BEEP BEEP...he just wanted to go through the intersection....the nerve...so I proceeded, my message received, and he never got close to me again...good thing it was an old dude in a mini-van. I may be able to out run him!!

Old 09-06-2012, 02:45 PM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bet if there is a mini van forum somewhere, they're all reading about how he beat the crap out of some big tuff dude on a Harley.

Mike

Old 09-06-2012, 02:46 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

So are you saying you purposely held back on a green just to **** him off? Or am I misunderstanding your situation at the intersection?

With regards to "bumper to bumper" style traffic. I tend to do as you do and hold back a bit. I think it's a bit easier on the bike than the constant clutching and braking and as you pointed out, not much air flow gettin' to those heads. There's a particular canyon I drive through that regularly backs up. It's one lane in either direction. When I allow too much distance between me and the cage in front of me I will occasionally get a honker. When I do I just shrug my shoulders and continue at my own pace. Let him pass if he wants to but most of that stretch is double yellow (no passing....legally).

Old 09-06-2012, 03:41 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

The first time the old man probably figured you were just zon'in out from the heat and maybe having a few "after work" brews in ya ....... wanted to revive ya a little. Gotta give'em the benifit of the doubt ... .

The second time when you _ucked him at the light .... well, let's say he couldn't shoot left handed.

Good thing it wasn't this guy....
Funny story though

Old 09-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I split lanes and never sit still in our LA traffic.