Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Motorcycle Metal/Ohlins experience

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 08:39 PM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default My Motorcycle Metal/Ohlins experience

I should have written this long ago but couldn't due to life happening. About a year ago I was getting ready to do 50K service on my Road Glide and decided it was time to retire the stock shocks. I had replaced the fluid in the stock ones, but just didn't see a noticible improvement in the ride. I looked arount the net and looked into my options and eventually decided I wanted the Ohlins 2-3s as I don't have any problems flat footing with the stock suspension and an extra 1/4" ride height wouldn't bother me and I like all the clearance I can get. I called Motorcycle Metal and Howard convinced me I should go with the 2-2B instead as it has the full threaded body and allows more spring preload adjustment. I went with his advise.

I filled out the form with load information and indicated that while most of my riding is solo I wanted a comfortable ride when riding 2 up (if mama's not happy...). I received the shocks promptly and installation is easy if you can follow directions. I have a setup with a wheel chock that allows me to sit on the bike and measure at the same time and worked out how many turns of preload I needed to get the desired ride height with various loads

I noticed immediately that the ride was much improved over the stock shocks. As I worked with the setup and test rides awhile and found that with the target ride height I would bottom the shocks pretty easily, but here I should note that even when it bottomed it wasn't harsh. I really didn't realized I'd bottomed out until I looked at the zip tie on the shaft that I knew I'd done it. I called and talked to Howard and he asked if I'd done any testing with the wife on board; I hadn't. The life getting in the way thing.

Most of a year passes with one thing or another getting in the way of us riding together and in the mean time I'm starting to wonder if I should have had the shocks tuned for me solo. Riding to work a month or so ago in my truck I went the back way into the lot as entering from the front requires coming off of a cloverleaf and immediately crossing 2 lanes of traffic to make the left and I was arriving during the morning rush. I hadn't noticed on the bike, but driving the truck it struck me that that road really sucks. It got me thinking, and all of the places that had me thinking I should have gotten the Ohlins set up different I also feel the bumps, etc in both my truck and my wifes car. Why should the bike ride better than the car?

Finally, this past weekend the wife and I got to take a weekend trip. I set the shocks to the setting I had determined was right for us, put the tour pak on and Friday morning we loaded up and hit the road. The first road we were on is one that I notice bumps while riding solo and also in the wife's car; butter smooth riding 2 up. We rode 200 miles on back roads Friday and the only bumps I felt came through the handlebars; I could not believe how smooth the ride was. Saturday we rode about 2 hours and again ride super smooth. Asked my wife and she said she hadn't felt anything. Saturday night we got a shuttle to the same place we rode to that day to catch a show; the shuttle bus was rough as a cob over the same roads we rode smoothly earlier that day. Came home Sunday and we had a great, comfortable, trip.

So, if you're still reading, I'm very satisfied with what I got for my money. I almost want to get another set tuned for me riding solo and swap them when I go 2 up; it is that sweet when the tune is on the money. I also wonder how much better the Ohlins 3 series is, being able to adjust damping. But for the money I had to spend, Howard delivered exactly what I needed. I will also say he was fun to talk with. On one call we started discussing the shocks and I mentioned I was heading to Mexico for vacation; we talked about 20 minutes about places to go, etc. I will not hesitate to recommend Ohlins shocks or Howard's service to any of my friends.

Sorry for the long post, but it was a long time coming.

Eric

Old 09-18-2012, 08:56 PM
FDHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 123 Posts

Great to know. Thinking of going with the 3's if Santa is good to me.

Old 09-18-2012, 09:14 PM
Quiet56
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 2 Posts

Howard and Olin's are first rate all the way around!!

Old 09-20-2012, 09:38 PM
thecort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ohlins #3,#3 rear shocks for sale. They came off my 2010 SG. They are barely broken in with only 1,100 miles. What a difference a great suspension came make! These are in perfect condition. I'm asking $650 + shipping. These cost $850 new.
Please PM me or email me for pics.
Thanks,
Paul

Old 09-20-2012, 10:29 PM
Recycled
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thecort
Ohlins #3,#3 rear shocks for sale. They came off my 2010 SG. They are barely broken in with only 1,100 miles. What a difference a great suspension came make! These are in perfect condition. I'm asking $650 + shipping. These cost $850 new.
Please PM me or email me for pics.
Thanks,
Paul
Leaves me wonder why you are selling them?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:49 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice. I have the 3-4s. If the ones you have are working for you, just leave them. Swapping Ohlins for solo vs. 2-up, is frickin' ludricous.

Originally Posted by Recycled
Leaves me wonder why you are selling them?
Me too.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:28 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Howard is great and I love my Ohlins