Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H 4 inch slash rounds

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 09:44 AM
MLHJR1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H 4 inch slash rounds

Ok.. so I got me some new V&H 4 inch slash rounds.. and at first they sounded GREAT!!!

Riding home one day, I thought I heard some metal clanging.. and sure enough, one of the mufflers had come loose. So I tightened it back up.. and I noticed that the muffler was not pushed in all the way on the header..

So I pushed it up on the header pipe all the way.. Which was deeper by about 1/2 inch

and now I am I getting a completley different sound.. One that I am no longer happy to with.

So my question is... Does the muffler need to pushed all the way on the header pipe and how does this adjustment effects the sound coming out of the exhaust?
My initial thought is, that is should not effect it at all. But I am no longer liking the sound of the mufflers any more. Do I need to order some baffles too?
I will play with this some more tonight.. but I want the louder sound I had before. I am curious if the baffle may have changed some now that it has some miles on it, or if the cooler air is impacting this.

Headers are V&H Power Duals. I had D&D mufflers on there before, but they were very quiet. I wanted something louder. So I went with the slash rounds.
I am curious to everyone's experiences with V&H slip ons.

Mo

Old 10-03-2012, 09:57 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have any experience with the VH mufflers, but I have installed a handfull of exhausts. You are correct, you want to have the mufflers on the headers about as far as you can get them without the heatshields on the headers damaging the muffler. When I bolt the muffler clamp down, I like enough end of the header pipe to be in the muffler inlet that the clamp tightens up completely on headpipe too. You want that inlet to tighten down around the end of the pipe. So in anywords, it is good to have the muffler on about a couple inches of that header.

I am not sure how far off the header the muffler was, but I bet you were hearing the exhaust note on the side. Now that you have fully mounted that muffler, all the exhaust note is exiting out the back end of the muffler. If you continued to run the bike that way, you chance discoloration where the exhaust "leak" was and possible tuning issues from the escaped air and back pressure.

Last edited by MrHog; 10-03-2012 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:17 AM
MLHJR1
Cruiser

agreed.. but here is my dilema with that.. I have one muffler that goes on deeper than the other.. So when I look from the side or top down onto the muffler, one on the right is an inch shorter than the one on the left. I would think they both should slip on the same distance.. but I fought that for an hour last night.. that is while I initially did not put the right side muffler on as deep.
I think there is a louder baffle out there from BCT? but I have yet to contact them. I want louder pipes.. I just love the sounds of loud pipes..

Maybe my hearing is already going after having these on for just a week.. LOL.. but I doubt that.. lol

I will take a look at it again tonight.. but man.. what a kick in the sorts.
Mo

Old 10-03-2012, 10:39 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My V&H came loose to, I pulled the baffles and the packing inside one of them was messed up and changed the sound.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:40 AM
MrHog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean about one being shorter than the other. Seems the header pipes do not end at the exact same distance on each side too. I noticed on my bike a few months ago looking down from the top at the end of the mufflers that one was sticking past the fender further than the other. My mufflers can either be mounted on the left or right side (there is no notch for the bottom of the shock or anything). I took off the mufflers and stood both up on end in the garage and one was a tad bit longer. I ended up mounting the one I had on the left to the right side and the other one I had on the right to the left. After that they were close to being equal.

Last edited by MrHog; 10-03-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just run the head pipes without mufflers till you go deaf...that's my plan anyway.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:50 AM
MLHJR1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fwb35
My V&H came loose to, I pulled the baffles and the packing inside one of them was messed up and changed the sound.

ok, dumb question.. but how do you pull the baffle on the V&H mufflers? I can see on my D&D there is 1 screw.. and then those come out..
Is it the same for V&H?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

on mine there are 2 allen screws on the bottom of the muffler near the end of the pipe that hold the baffles in.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:54 AM
MLHJR1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MrHog
I know what you mean about one being shorter than the other. Seems the header pipes do not end at the exact same distance on each side too. I noticed on my bike a few months ago looking down from the top at the end of the mufflers that one was sticking past the fender further than the other. My mufflers can either be mounted on the left or right side (there is no notch for the bottom of the shock or anything). I took off the mufflers and stood both up on end in the garage and one was a tad bit longer. I ended up mounting the one I had on the left to the right side and the other one I had on the right to the left. After that they were close to being equal.
yea, I need to do that.. and see if the mufflers are not the same length. My 4 inch rounds have a indention on them, that marks which side they go on. So installing them, the indention goes on the inside towards teh bike frame. If I swaped them to the other side, that indention would show, and then I would be upset about the cosmetics of that..LOL.. I am ****, I know. lol

I am thinking I should not need to reprogram the computer since, I only swapped the mufflers.

Mo

Old 10-03-2012, 10:56 AM
MLHJR1
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fwb35
on mine there are 2 allen screws on the bottom of the muffler near the end of the pipe that hold the baffles in.
Thanks FWB.. I will look tonight when I get home.

So, you pulled teh baffles out of your muffler completley? Or did you replace with them with baffle from Big City Thunder?

Quick Reply: V&H 4 inch slash rounds