Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tennessee in a trailer

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 06:10 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,468 Likes on 3,319 Posts

What about staggered and one pointing to the front and one to the back???

Old 10-16-2012, 07:30 AM
madmustang4
Tourer
Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

when you put the bike in the front wheel chock, make sure there is (and can't be) any contact with brake rotor and chock. I just discovered my front rotor is bent and i'm assuming the culpret is my wheel chock

Old 10-16-2012, 09:11 AM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Just out of curiosity... what size is your trailer? Thanks!

Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Glockmeister
You never said what straps you have. If you don't have GOOD ratcheting straps, GET some. Don't use worn straps, small/ cheap straps or straps with a friction lock. You don't want damage because you saved $30 on a set of straps.
Very true! I use Big Daddy's Powertyes.
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...WT.MC_ID=10010

Originally Posted by cdestuck
Call me paranoid but when I have trailered I have double strapped both the front and back of the bike. Ya never know when something can break.
I have seen this happen.

Last edited by mike5511; 10-17-2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:38 AM
slughill
Road Captain
Received 339 Likes on 175 Posts

I have good ratchet soft straps for the front (almost brand new)and descent quality ones for the back.is it better for the rear straps to go on the floor board mounts or saddle bag guards?

Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by slughill
I have good ratchet soft straps for the front (almost brand new)and descent quality ones for the back.is it better for the rear straps to go on the floor board mounts or saddle bag guards?
I use the passenger floor board mounts. Saddle bag guards could bend.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:04 PM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I remove the saddle bags when I load two touring bikes in my 7x15 enclosed trailer. I wrap them in sleeping bags and blankets real good. Then I have extra warm blankets if I need them when I get there. You might want to look at doing this or maybe just the bags from one bike or one bag from each bike?

Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Haulmark 8x14 tandem axle and haul two SG's a lot from Michigan to our TN vacation home. I use Ancra HD Hog Ties from your local HD dealer with loops around the handle bars, then forward to the floor tie pods...then 1" straps around the rear pass floor boards / pegs. Pull front straps tight, then wrap the tag ends around the cinch buckle to prevent slipping. The rear...gently step on the pegs to compress shock and tighten strap. I've never had a problem and have done this many, many times over the years. My chocks are Pingle.

Old 04-04-2014, 09:49 AM
nofd843
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike5511, do you have a pic of your bike in the 5x8 trailer? Curious how tight it is.

Thanks

Old 04-04-2014, 10:21 AM
slammed05fatty
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5511
I run straps from the front down tubes pulling the bike forward (about a 45 degree angle) into the chocks. Run straps off the back passenger floor board mounts to keep the rear from bouncing around. Check the straps after the first 5 to 10 miles then again every time you stop. I wouldn't use padding because I wouldn't let them touch in the first place. I leave mine in neutral because it ain't going anywhere and I figure it is easier on everything. Leave the kick/jiffy stand up too. I've never had a problem when hauling one in the trailer and I nearly turned my little 5X8 V-nose trailer over one time....had it up on one wheel, bike never moved!

A good idea I think, that I've never tried; but put a block under the frame/motor and tighten down till contact is made. Keeps you from over compressing the shocks. (not a problem if you are pulling forward into a chock in my experience. (I use a "Condor" type chock that I made. A regular type chock might give different results.)
Originally Posted by DuraGlide
Defintely cut a wood block to slip under the frame and pull down on it. Keeps the ties from getting loose from bouncing. Kury makes a nice tie down loop that bolts to the bike where the spot light/ turn signal bar bolts on. Works on an EG but not on an SG.
i used the strapping and the wood block as mike and duraglide said. i also use soft hooks at all my pionts to get the strap hooks away from the bike and make it much eisier to secure.

Quick Reply: Tennessee in a trailer