Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What winter Gloves are you guys Using?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 04:20 PM
BootsAndPants
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frog13
So, three pairs of gloves for almost $600 is more multipurpose than a $200 heated pair with a thermostat for all conditions? Strange logic to me. Personally, I have had great luck with HD and BMW gauntlets, but getting older, that heated gear is looking good.
Ah, guess I should have specified that if you do any other winter activities/sports, I think heated gear isn't multipurpose. Like if you ski/snowmobile/ in addition to riding your bike, get something that can be used for both and save some $$.

As a ski instructor, alpine climbing instructor, and volunteer with mountain SAR, I'm out a lot in snow/rain/sleet/blizzards whether I like it or not usually. Being a climber in the Cascades, I have no fewer than a million pairs of gloves, so a while back I thought I would try some out while riding rather than buying M/C specific cold weather gloves (since they were basically the same anyway). Since then, I've find a lot of crossover between M/C gear and climbing gear in bad weather conditions. Another example is that I wear a lightweight synthetic pile jacket under my leather when it gets cold. Lightweight, good for layering, keeps me warm, can use it in other activities, and no wires to deal with.

Guess that was my point; to see if there was any overlap with other activities one does. If I didn't do any other cold weather activities, you bet I would take a look at heated gear, but why spend more money then you have to, eh?

Last edited by BootsAndPants; 10-17-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:33 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by BootsAndPants
Ah, guess I should have specified that if you do any other winter activities/sports, I think heated gear isn't multipurpose. Like if you ski/snowmobile/ in addition to riding your bike, get something that can be used for both and save some $$.

As a ski instructor, alpine climbing instructor, and volunteer with mountain SAR, I'm out a lot in snow/rain/sleet/blizzards whether I like it or not usually. Being a climber in the Cascades, I have no fewer than a million pairs of gloves, so a while back I thought I would try some out while riding rather than buying M/C specific cold weather gloves (since they were basically the same anyway). Since then, I've find a lot of crossover between M/C gear and climbing gear in bad weather conditions. Another example is that I wear a lightweight synthetic pile jacket under my leather when it gets cold. Lightweight, good for layering, keeps me warm, can use it in other activities, and no wires to deal with.

Guess that was my point; to see if there was any overlap with other activities one does. If I didn't do any other cold weather activities, you bet I would take a look at heated gear, but why spend more money then you have to, eh?
They do have heated gloves with Lithium battery's.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:28 PM
BIGMO
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok noob question. But if i buy a pair of Gerbings heated gloves where do i plug them into on my 2010 street glide? i also want a vest. how does this work?

Old 10-17-2012, 05:32 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by BIGMO
ok noob question. But if i buy a pair of Gerbings heated gloves where do i plug them into on my 2010 street glide? i also want a vest. how does this work?
They come with a simple harness that is on when its plugged in or you can get the controller for them. I mounted mine on the lower tank bolt. http://gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.php

Old 10-17-2012, 05:54 PM
blackflame
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

As a snowmobiler, heated grips or key, i just orderd a set for myself.

Old 10-17-2012, 05:57 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

If you don't go heated, check into ski gloves. They are flexible, warm, waterproof, have preformed fingers which are perfect for the grips as well as "grips" in the palm ,and if you buy them in the spring....cheap!

Old 10-18-2012, 12:16 AM
rbferg
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BIGMO
The wire that you connect to your battery comes with the gloves. I would suggest the jacket liner instead of a vest, since it comes pre-wired for the gloves and the dual controller is pretty much a must (you can set different temps for gloves and liner).

Last edited by rbferg; 10-18-2012 at 12:22 AM.
Old 10-18-2012, 06:00 AM
RK Joy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some good suggestions in this thread and I guess it is time for me to go and bite the bullet. Rode in the cold last night and the hand s sure got cold.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:29 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

gerbing heated 40 and below
harley gauntlets above 40

Old 10-18-2012, 06:42 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When It gets in the twenty's I usally just break out my snowmobile gear. It doesnt get any warmer than that.

Quick Reply: What winter Gloves are you guys Using?