Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring aids

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 12:56 AM
Glockmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
Wheeeew .... I thought this thread was about something I could catch from riding!
Carry on.....
Funny...you actually made me laugh.

Last edited by Glockmeister; 10-27-2012 at 01:01 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:48 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Scorpion07
Wheeeew .... I thought this thread was about something I could catch from riding!
Carry on.....
That was GOOOOOOOD!

Old 10-27-2012, 02:08 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Doesn't make too much sense to me,but.....it's your bike and your money!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:14 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto
I got tired of having to change out tires before they were wore out or having to take time off work to get the tires changed because of a pending trip.

I've spent some time on the GoldWing Darksider forum and they all seem to have spare wheels and tires in their garage. The more I thought about it the more I liked the idea. I wanted to get to where if I only had a couple thousand miles left on a tire and had a trip coming up, I could just put a new wheel/tire on and after the trip, put the old one back on and run it till it got too scary to run.

I talked to the wife about it and she really liked the idea. I was thinking about getting some Ultra wheels or even Street Glide wheels off Fleabay, but she wouldn't have anything to do with that. She said if I was going to get spare wheels to get ones off another Ultra Limited. I thought I'd give it a try.

It cost me $830.00, but I got my wheels tonight. They are new dealer take offs and have the bearings and front rotors with them. Can't wait to get the tires to put on them.

I ordered tire irons, rim protectors, bead breaker and dynabeads tonight from Jake Wilson. Figured now that I can do it at my leisure, I'd just go ahead and put the tires on the rims myself and save the $30 to get them mounted and balanced.
If you are going to do that and you have already spent the money, why not get yourself a tire changer and make it a lot easier on yourself. For a little over $100 you will save yourself a lot of time and effort. Here is one from Auto Zone, take a look at places like Harbor Freight and Northern Tool. I"m sure you will find this is much better than using tire irons. If you plan to do this a lot, then the cost is well worth it.

Auto Zone

Old 10-27-2012, 08:18 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,790 Likes on 21,724 Posts

Originally Posted by rkoivisto

It cost me $830.00, but I got my wheels tonight.

I'd just go ahead and put the tires on the rims myself and save the $30 to get them mounted and balanced.

Real frugal aren't we..? lolol

Old 10-27-2012, 08:23 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,234 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Why stop there...invest in adding a "Tires Plus" franchise onto your garage...

You're thinking too deep and worrying way too much about things - just ride and let the tires wear down w/o worrying about what would/could/should happen when venturing off. Adding the HD tire plan to an extended warranty would be cheaper/easier & then you're covered by any dealership on the trip(s)...

Old 10-27-2012, 12:56 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

why not just buy another bike to keep just for the long trips.
That would save a lot of work! :-)

Old 10-31-2012, 08:29 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Response

OK, Here's a couple of replies to some of the comments.
1. I could have bought Street glide or other wheels that would work for a lot less, but the chrome and black wheels on a limited are really nice and now I can change the front or the rear out without having them mis-matched.

2. Frugality was not really an issue. I put on near 30K miles annually and a lot of the time I end up having a problem getting a new tire on before a 2 to 3 thousand mile trip. I work 2 extra jobs so it is a PIA to have to pull wheel and get it to someone to change the tire.

3. I've got a car tire on the rear and having the spare set or rims gives me the option or buying a used car tire and trying it out for handling. If I don't like it, I put the old tire back on and am only out the cost of a used tire.

4. With the extra wheels, I can change the tires at my leisure but still most always have a spare set of tires and wheels ready to go.

5. The main thing for me is when I want to hit the road, I won't have to take time off work to get tires on that I trust to make the trip.

Old 10-31-2012, 09:01 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Worrying?

Originally Posted by Iceman24
Why stop there...invest in adding a "Tires Plus" franchise onto your garage...

You're thinking too deep and worrying way too much about things - just ride and let the tires wear down w/o worrying about what would/could/should happen when venturing off. Adding the HD tire plan to an extended warranty would be cheaper/easier & then you're covered by any dealership on the trip(s)...
I'm not worrying about anything. I experience inconveniences over and over because I have a trip coming up and don't trust my tires.

I have also had two tires with only 3K on them that got punctured. That means I can't ride until I get the tire changed.

I ride every day and cant stand to have it down because of a tire.

I know most people are more concerned with putting new chrome on then riding, but that isn't my focus.

Old 10-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by ElectraGlideSteve
I just paid $425 for two new Metzeler ME880's mounted and balanced from an indy.

You have two new sets of tires tied up in just the wheels.
You are spending more then you would if you just replaced your old tires 1,000 miles before they were worn out.
Not to mention the extra money spent on tires irons, dyna beads and whatever else.
Ya, that is what I was thinking too. But, sometimes money is not everything.

Quick Reply: Touring aids