Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler Rotational issues?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 08:24 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 87 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Oil Cooler Rotational issues?

How many folks with Harley oil coolers are having problems with the filter base plate rotating when putting a new filter on or taking one off during a change? I see that Jagg has an anti rotational device to stop this from happening. I've been hearing more and more stories about leaks caused by the base rotating. Trying to get a feel as to if there is merit to this or if its just a few odd cases of bitching about what a few perceive as inferior Harley products?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:34 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I don't like the anti-rotation wedge even though its something I bought but don't use..... I put a pry bar across the frame tubes right in front of the filter housing so when you twist the filter there will be nowhere for it to go. Problem solved.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:00 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by TUCCI
I don't like the anti-rotation wedge even though its something I bought but don't use..... I put a pry bar across the frame tubes right in front of the filter housing so when you twist the filter there will be nowhere for it to go. Problem solved.
It looks like Jaggs anti rotation device is a permanent bolt on bracket??

So what you bought is something Harley sells? A wedge tool for use when changing the filter? Not sure I'm liking the sound of wedges, pry bars etc. I think I'd like a permanent bracket if one exists?

Old 11-13-2012, 09:32 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,519 Likes on 1,563 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
yes how about some insight on this, maybe a picture.have not had a problem on my 2012 yet.another bad harley design.maybe

Old 11-13-2012, 09:43 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Never had an issue with this

Old 11-13-2012, 09:50 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Never had an issue with this
That's another reason for my question. It doesn't seem as though the oil coolers that come stock on Harley's from the factory have issues? Yet the exact same kit fitted on after the fact does, or so it seems? Trying to find out... If true I'm wondering what the factory does differently when installing? Red Loctite??

Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Rickr01
That's another reason for my question. It doesn't seem as though the oil coolers that come stock on Harley's from the factory have issues? Yet the exact same kit fitted on after the fact does, or so it seems? Trying to find out... If true I'm wondering what the factory does differently when installing? Red Loctite??
yes i do believe they use red loctite but it seems the filter would have to be on very tight to break that loose,but then again if your removing it on a hot motor maybe the loctite has soften up a bit allowing it to move.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:55 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01

Definitely the first time I have heard someone talk about this. I had to idea the base plate could rotate.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by KCFLHRC
Definitely the first time I have heard someone talk about this. I had to idea the base plate could rotate.
yes the adapter is sandwich between the motor and filter

Old 11-13-2012, 10:01 AM
CHIPPDOG77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I installed mine,I rotated the adapter as far left to the stop as I could and then torqued the bolt.I only barely tighten my filter when installing and have never had an issue.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler Rotational issues?