Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hayden Primary Chain Tensioner - Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:47 PM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fathog
So if I understand you correctly you ended up with a 1/4" when completed? Any up and down left in the chain? Does you chain seem to have the same tension on it as with your prior set up?
Yes, I ended up with 1/4 inch. The chain is tight but it was pretty tight before. After installing I can push down on the top of the chain (in the middle area between comp and clutch) and get very little movement. I could put my thumb under the chain and my index finger on top of the inner case and squeeze upward and get the chain to pull "up" a half inch or so. Pushing down on the top of the chain doesn't give much deflection though. It feels a little tighter than the original setup, but my original was still pretty tight. Hope I described this where you can understand it. It "sounds" good when running though. I am not getting any "whirling" sounds, but my hearing is not as good as it once was... LOL

Last edited by so60; 02-24-2013 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:59 PM
fishbust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just finally got around to getting my bike back together and riding for an hour.

Last bike I put an M6 on I built the bike with it, along with many other upgrades, so I never knew the difference.

After riding my 2000 cop glide for 2 years and just doing this job, night and day difference shifting and finding neutral is no longer an issue when bike is not moving.

Every bike should be built with these spring loaded shoes in the first place. Set it and forget it.

Old 03-09-2013, 06:40 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master

Received 204 Likes on 116 Posts

I put my SE Comp and Hayden M6 on today, it was right at 3/8" with no shims...so I guess I'm good to go.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:32 PM
NECaveman
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I see HD just came out with a new SE primary chain adjuster. This one is a manual adjuster with the adjustment bolt on the rear end. The primary cover has to be removed to inspect or adjust the unit. I don't think this unit is a improvement over the Hayden.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Last edited by NECaveman; 03-09-2013 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Grammar.
Old 04-05-2013, 03:30 PM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

08 SG 110ci 35k miles, ride 1-up mostly but do take 2-up trips a couple times a year loaded with gear.

Just replaced my compensator to the SE version and my clutch pack. (This machine suffered from the embarrassing hot-restart problem) My stock H-D chain tensioner shows wear on the shoe, not a show stopper by my reckoning. . . I was not happy to find that my fwd bolt that attaches the tensioner was actually bent, when I removed it. Was it a factory mistake or something, I do not know, I do know it has never been out, perhaps the chain tensioner was over tight at one point, I don't know, the tensioner was ok when I pulled it. Anyway, today I decided I would order the Hayden unit and install it along with a replacement bolt. Thank you to the OP and some of the discussions following in this thread.

Last edited by NiteOwl; 04-05-2013 at 03:32 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:16 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteOwl
08 SG 110ci 35k miles, ride 1-up mostly but do take 2-up trips a couple times a year loaded with gear.

Just replaced my compensator to the SE version and my clutch pack. (This machine suffered from the embarrassing hot-restart problem) My stock H-D chain tensioner shows wear on the shoe, not a show stopper by my reckoning. . . I was not happy to find that my fwd bolt that attaches the tensioner was actually bent, when I removed it. Was it a factory mistake or something, I do not know, I do know it has never been out, perhaps the chain tensioner was over tight at one point, I don't know, the tensioner was ok when I pulled it. Anyway, today I decided I would order the Hayden unit and install it along with a replacement bolt. Thank you to the OP and some of the discussions following in this thread.
Nightowl tell me about this hot-start problem at the start of your post, Im over this forum and Ive not heard about this problem.

Old 04-05-2013, 04:34 PM
NiteOwl
Supporter
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Nightowl tell me about this hot-start problem at the start of your post, Im over this forum and Ive not heard about this problem.
ok, not to hijack this thread here is the skinny. . . One of the best threads can be found here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...it-w-pics.html Basically, many have found one problem, when the bike gets hot and you shut down and attempt to restart shortly after, it sounds like a bucket of bolts and often results in a failed start. I have experienced this many times. Also bike performs poorly in low speed operation, shuddering etc. It comes down to the engine compensator being to "light" (Harley recognized it unofficially and all 2011" I think" models and up have the improved unit installed from factory). Lots of good discussion on the other thread.

Last edited by NiteOwl; 04-05-2013 at 04:38 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 05:05 PM
GaugeMods
Former Sponsor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I just ordered mine from M&M cycles along with the Jims Transmision rebuild kit. ouch

Old 04-05-2013, 06:00 PM
kdfcogwheel
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently (last week) replaced the primary chain tensioner with the Hayden M6. So far I have 127 miles on it. One thing that I really want to comment on is from a cold start, first of the morning, when shifting to 1st from neutral there is NO clunk! Just a click. No lurching, shaking, shuttering - nothing. After warm-up and I restart going from neutral to 1st - nothing. NOT even a click. Wow!! Unbelievable. I can't believe my ears. I have read here that most have not noticed any difference, but I sure have. I was at the dealer today getting a new rear tire, and was talking to a guy with a 2011 FLHTK. He started his after it sat for while in the parking lot, with everything still stock on his machine - it went CLUNK when dropped into 1st. I am glad I made the switch.

Old 04-05-2013, 06:19 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,551 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Originally Posted by NiteOwl
ok, not to hijack this thread here is the skinny. . . One of the best threads can be found here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...it-w-pics.html Basically, many have found one problem, when the bike gets hot and you shut down and attempt to restart shortly after, it sounds like a bucket of bolts and often results in a failed start. I have experienced this many times. Also bike performs poorly in low speed operation, shuddering etc. It comes down to the engine compensator being to "light" (Harley recognized it unofficially and all 2011" I think" models and up have the improved unit installed from factory). Lots of good discussion on the other thread.

Somebody needs to explain to me how my "too light" stock 2000 original compensator is still in my primary 13 years and 125,000 miles since new then.(?)

Yeah I've got the Hayden, but this "clink clank grind" on hot starts is a 2007 and later phenomena ( 96" matched to a six speed tranny and later.) I believe the problem lies in that, and all these "improvements" are simply "patching" symptoms, not fixing the problem.

Quick Reply: Hayden Primary Chain Tensioner - Pictures