Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decat Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM
JDSporty
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have found someone to decat my pipes. But I am still confused about one thing. Do I need a tuner or not, if i stay with stock air cleaner and stock mufflers or get some slip-ons? I know i would need a tuner if I changed air cleaner.I just don't want to do any engine damage. With the stock air cleaner and mufflers, will it be leaned out any worse than it is now? If i decided to get a tuner, how difficult would this be for me to install. My basic mechanic skills is changing oil, but interested in learning to wrench myself. Hate to sound stupid, trying to do what i want without breaking the bank. Thanks

Old 01-21-2013, 07:50 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSporty
Well I have found someone to decat my pipes. But I am still confused about one thing. Do I need a tuner or not, if i stay with stock air cleaner and stock mufflers or get some slip-ons? I know i would need a tuner if I changed air cleaner.I just don't want to do any engine damage. With the stock air cleaner and mufflers, will it be leaned out any worse than it is now? If i decided to get a tuner, how difficult would this be for me to install. My basic mechanic skills is changing oil, but interested in learning to wrench myself. Hate to sound stupid, trying to do what i want without breaking the bank. Thanks
No. You won't need a tuner by decatting and adding slip-ons. The system will adjust to the slight difference in air flow that you are creating.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

If you do not want a full tuner, an inexpensive (120$) pair of Vied's will enrichen the mixture. They simply snap inline with the connectors for the O2 sensor wires, and connect a ground to the battery. Takes about 15 minutes.

This will give you some smoother power, and make your Harley run great. It will pull much smoother and have better throttle response,

Old 01-21-2013, 08:11 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

$1800, Wow I would need to know what the parts list to that menagerie was before I could comment further.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 PM
mlcrisis
Novice

I bought a decatted pipe off ebay for my 2009 street glide. Then realized my bike does not have cats. Now im stuck with the extra head pipe. If anyone is interested ill sell it cheap maybe 100.00 plush shipping im in oregon.

Old 01-22-2013, 02:20 AM
trispeed
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Airflow does blow much of the heat behind you when cruising, however passengers get some of this hot air on their right foot.

When you slow, have a tailwind, or stop the heat gets pretty down right annoying. Getting rid of the cat gets rid of most of the heat.

GF had a pretty rosie red ankle when city riding on our catted bike. She is much, much happier now.

Without the cats, I am now free'd up to add some Vied's to reduce the lean stock condition, The slightly louder pipes make the bike feel better too.
and you are wearing long pants and sturdy boots?

Old 01-22-2013, 10:25 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,482 Likes on 1,541 Posts

Originally Posted by trispeed
and you are wearing long pants and sturdy boots?
long pants and boots didn't do anything for the heat on my bike, but removed the cat and was like a different bike, much much cooler and i can ride it in the summer now.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM
trispeed
Cruiser

Originally Posted by hardheaded
long pants and boots didn't do anything for the heat on my bike, but removed the cat and was like a different bike, much much cooler and i can ride it in the summer now.
glad you found a solution; maybe my bike is weird but I don't feel any extra heat and I'm talking summer time in the south...hmmm. I do have extensive experience with hundreds of bikes, though. There is an internal combustion engine inches away from the rider and you must expect some heat from that situation. Doesn't bother me in the least and I wear heavy gear all year round.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:21 PM
crazeeejimbo
Advanced

I have an 11 rkc w/103 .Got stuck in traffic in on a hot day (100).Wearing jeans and boots,burnt the hell outta my right thigh.Ol lady wasn't happy either.De catting mine for that reason alone.Any thing else is just a bonus.

Old 02-01-2013, 11:12 PM
07FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I love these kind of threads! Always very intertaining!

Quick Reply: Decat Pipes