Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Can Harley deny a warranty due to the brand of fluids you use?!?! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/840311-can-harley-deny-a-warranty-due-to-the-brand-of-fluids-you-use.html)

petewerner 01-25-2013 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by dribble (Post 10820962)
I don't believe Moss Magnussen would apply in this case because it is an extended warranty issue not original mfgr warranty. Also, so far no warranty has yet been denied here. Once an aftermarket warranty company denies coverage (The Harley extended warranty is an aftermarket warranty issued by an aftermarket warranty company under license from Harley) the holder of the warranty can take the issuer to small claims court. That usually takes care of it.

I hope U know more about the warranty then U do about oil, sheesh that is soooooo wrong, they don't use oil or ANY biproduct for Real Synthetic Oil.
Google it and atleast read up on it so U can tell me real info...
Thanks, Pete

dribble 01-25-2013 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Markk9 (Post 10820925)
Wrong!!!!!!

They do make a full synthetic, no petroleum based oil.

OK. Many full synthetic oils are derived from crude. This from Valvolines website.

Is synthetic motor oil made in a laboratory?

Is it "fake" oil?
Synthetic oils are not fake - they are still derived from crude. However, synthetic engine oils use higher basestocks than conventional oils and go through a synthesis process in which all the molecules are made into the same size for a higher film strength.

dribble 01-25-2013 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by petewerner (Post 10821007)
I hope U know more about the warranty then U do about oil, sheesh that is soooooo wrong, they don't use oil or ANY biproduct for Real Synthetic Oil.
Google it and atleast read up on it so U can tell me real info...
Thanks, Pete

I know I don't know more than Valvoline. See post above.

maximv1 01-25-2013 11:12 AM

If it is Extended Service Coverage, once it is denied, there is little you can do unfortunatly. They are very "black and white" about their policy and to try to argue the grey area is next to impossible. I don't know the full M&M law but the ESP may be exempt from it because they are labelled as a "service plan" not a warranty. sorry to hear about the bad luck with this.

Dew Me 01-25-2013 11:25 AM

I don't believe Moss Magnussen would apply in this case because it is an extended warranty issue not original mfgr warranty.

Phonetically your screen name sounds a lot like what you just uttered: DRIVEL

Moss Magnussen applies to all warranties, by all companies, without regard to who offers it, or whether they have any relationship to the original manufacturer.

That usually takes care of it.

That USUALLY takes care of it??? This makes you sound like some sort of expert that is very familiar with Moss Magnussen situations and how they play out. Which would be in contradiction to the first part of your post which I pointed out above is drivel. If you don't know, drivel means to talk stupidly and carelessly. In other words you are full of crap and need to keep your mouth shut about things you don't know. :icon_fryingpan:

Dew Me 01-25-2013 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by maximv1 (Post 10821123)
I don't know the full M&M law but the ESP may be exempt from it because they are labelled as a "service plan" not a warranty.

FYI: Moss Magnuson does cover service contracts.

baust55 01-25-2013 11:43 AM

i had my IPB going out witch causeed damage to the clutch splines . my exstended service contract coverd it and the dealer didn't blink an eye when i said i used mobile-1 T10w40 . they did close to $1000 i paid $50 deductable.

Dew Me 01-25-2013 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by dribble (Post 10821073)
I know I don't know more than Valvoline. See post above.

You did a Google search, and found one thing that supported your opinion. Too bad it is biased. Did you consider the source? Valvoline. Valvoline only makes one kind of synthetic. Group III. So what you quoted is their response to THEIR synthetic, which to Valvoline is the only synthetic that exists. If you really want to know what you are talking about go to: bobistheoilguy.com. Group III synthetics do start from crude and are super refined. SYN3 and Valvoline are just two examples of many. Group IV (including Amsoil) and Group V (Redline) are COMPLETELY synthetic. No crude. Or "fake" as Valvoline phrased it.

dribble 01-25-2013 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Dew Me (Post 10821279)
You did a Google search, and found one thing that supported your opinion. Too bad it is biased. Did you consider the source? Valvoline. Valvoline only makes one kind of synthetic. Group III. So what you quoted is their response to THEIR synthetic, which to Valvoline is the only synthetic that exists. If you really want to know what you are talking about go to: bobistheoilguy.com. Group III synthetics do start from crude and are super refined. SYN3 and Valvoline are just two examples of many. Group IV (including Amsoil) and Group V (Redline) are COMPLETELY synthetic. No crude. Or "fake" as Valvoline phrased it.

Group IV is also made in a chemical plant.

Group IV is not cleaned up and processed liquid crude oil like II and III. The feedstock for IV is a gas (~ethylene) (which may be derived from many sources, including being separated from crude during distillation or obtained elsewhere). Group II and III are made in a refinery. Group IV is NOT made in a refinery - but rather a chemical plant.

Ultimately this will go nowhere so I'm done here with this. I think an oil manufacturer is a good source here and I stand corrected regarding the use of the term all and changed it to many (including Mobil 1 and Valvoline to name two).

dribble 01-25-2013 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by Dew Me (Post 10821176)
Phonetically your screen name sounds a lot like what you just uttered: DRIVEL

Moss Magnussen applies to all warranties, by all companies, without regard to who offers it, or whether they have any relationship to the original manufacturer.

That USUALLY takes care of it??? This makes you sound like some sort of expert that is very familiar with Moss Magnussen situations and how they play out. Which would be in contradiction to the first part of your post which I pointed out above is drivel. If you don't know, drivel means to talk stupidly and carelessly. In other words you are full of crap and need to keep your mouth shut about things you don't know. :icon_fryingpan:

Now that you're done with your personal shot.

This is what I originally said.

I don't believe Moss Magnussen would apply in this case because it is an extended warranty issue not original mfgr warranty.

The FTC says that a service contract is not a warranty. The Arizona Supreme Court says that a service contract is not a warranty. The Harley extended service agreement is not underwritten by Harley but by an outside company licensed by Harley. Prove me wrong on that one. You won't. I never professed to me a MM expert but I do have some professional experience with it. So far other than some immature name calling and cheap shots, you've added nothing that shows what I said was wrong.