Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 12:12 PM
toledorocket52
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JonW
Welcome aboard, Hammer. Let us know how the police seat works out. I'm very tall in the torso, so I don't want to sit up any higher. Just ordered a LePera Maverick DLL seat.
Jon,

I am looking at the Maverick DLL as well. Did you get the biker gel and any of the decorative stuff like stitching or inlay?

Rob

Old 06-20-2019, 05:39 PM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by toledorocket52
Jon,

I am looking at the Maverick DLL as well. Did you get the biker gel and any of the decorative stuff like stitching or inlay?

Rob
No. I planned to do tan leather and some decorative stitching. I called LePera directly. I was told by the receptionist that the sales department was very busy. She took my name and number and said they would call back. I started looking around, and RevZilla had a black stitched Maverick DDL in stock and on sale for $70 off and free shipping, so I bought it.

Old 06-20-2019, 07:06 PM
toledorocket52
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the reply. I checked Revzilla, they are out of stock for my Softail.

Old 06-21-2019, 11:12 AM
Hammerdown77
Tourer
Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

@JonW Are your Kury extenders the 1" forward and 1" out version, or do they just move the boards 1" out only? I'm trying to determine which length extended brake pedal to buy. If I go with the Tall Boys brackets, which move the boards forward 2", I'm thinking the +2 brake will be best. I see you went with the +3, and was just wondering if that was because you had the 2" + 1" forward with the Tall Boys AND the Kury extenders, or if it's just the 2" forward and Softbrake recommended you go with the +3 version anyway. Or if it was just personal preference.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:48 PM
JonW
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Hammerdown77
@JonW Are your Kury extenders the 1" forward and 1" out version, or do they just move the boards 1" out only? I'm trying to determine which length extended brake pedal to buy. If I go with the Tall Boys brackets, which move the boards forward 2", I'm thinking the +2 brake will be best. I see you went with the +3, and was just wondering if that was because you had the 2" + 1" forward with the Tall Boys AND the Kury extenders, or if it's just the 2" forward and Softbrake recommended you go with the +3 version anyway. Or if it was just personal preference.
My Kury extenders are 1" up and 1" out. I suppose the issue of brake pedal length rides on how you position your foot on the board. I wear a size 14 boot, so with the stock brake pedal, I didn't have much choice but to ride with my foot under the pedal. To activate the brake, I would have to move my foot to the right, up and then back to the left. I've ridden like this for so many years that it was second nature, but even so, there are milliseconds to be lost in the process. It may be immaterial, I don't know. But with the 3" extended brake pedal, I can rest my boot fully on the board, then move it up and forward to activate the brake. IMHO that is a better process. I'm still in the learning stage of doing that, but I can already see that it's better. If your shoe size allows you to do that with the 2" extended pedal, that might be OK. But from what I've read here, most guys who got the 2" wish they had gotten the 3". The 3" pedal seems to be the most widely used. I think if you ordered the 3" and then decided you would prefer the 2", the 3" would be an easier sell then if it was the other way around and you wanted to sell the 2". Just my .02.

The following users liked this post:
Hammerdown77 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-23-2019, 12:09 PM
Hammerdown77
Tourer

I got the police seat installed on my 2019 Road King. This bike came with a Street Glide/Road King/Road Glide Special seat on it, and I noticed on the seat pan it said "LOW". I didn't get any pictures of me on the bike before with that seat, but you can imagine what it looked like with my butt being 3+ inches lower in this picture below.

This isn't the greatest picture, but you can see the relationship between my knees and hips now that the seat has me higher up. It feels a lot better. I might even make a bracket to lift the back slightly and tilt the seat forward just a tad, not sure. I'm going to ride it around a while and see.

I haven't done any other mods at this point. The extended brake pedal will be next and maybe the Tall Boys brackets in the future. Just wanted to change one thing at a time and document the difference.

For reference, I'm 6'5" tall, with 37" legs.

Last edited by Hammerdown77; 06-23-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 07-06-2019, 01:08 PM
JonW
Road Warrior

My other bike is a Victory Cross Country Tour. Overall it's a good bike, and the suspension is far superior to anything the MoCo produces. The wind management is far better than the Street Glide I previously owned. But in many ways it's lacking compared to a Harley. I've been reading up on the Shark and decided I would give one a try. I found a 2015 Road Glide Special with 1700 miles, at a Honda dealer of all places. I've spent the last few weeks replicating some of the mods I learned about here and performed on my Road King. Today was the first chance I've had to ride the RGS, and I'm loving it! The Shark fairing really does provide at least the illusion of more room. The wind management is superior to the bat wing. And with the mods I've done so far, it seems like it's going to be a great bike.

The Klock Werks shield was on it when I bought it, and it's perfect. Over the last few weeks, this is what I've accomplished:

Tall Boys floorboard brackets
Cycle Smith XL banana boards
Kuryakyn floorboard extenders
Extended brake and shift levers
Extended brake pedal and shift peg
KST 12" Straight Jacket bars
LePera Maverick DLL seat

Between the shark fairing and the mods I've made so far, I feel like I have much more room. Truthfully, I wish I had found this combination out years ago! But I'm lovin' it now. Next on the list is lighting, exhaust and rear suspension upgrade. The one area where the Victory really shines is in the suspension. The RGS suspension is crap compared to the Victory.

Attachment 618335

Old 07-07-2019, 01:28 PM
victory11
Road Warrior
Received 700 Likes on 399 Posts

I seldom ride my wife's Chief, preferring my Cross Country, but I believe after putting on a solid 50 miles, her ride is smoother than mine. But the cockpit is a bit crampy. It would take a little doing to get it comfortable enough for me to ride as a full time bike.

Old 07-07-2019, 02:45 PM
Hammerdown77
Tourer

Originally Posted by JonW
My other bike is a Victory Cross Country Tour. Overall it's a good bike, and the suspension is far superior to anything the MoCo produces. The wind management is far better than the Street Glide I previously owned. But in many ways it's lacking compared to a Harley. I've been reading up on the Shark and decided I would give one a try. I found a 2015 Road Glide Special with 1700 miles, at a Honda dealer of all places. I've spent the last few weeks replicating some of the mods I learned about here and performed on my Road King. Today was the first chance I've had to ride the RGS, and I'm loving it! The Shark fairing really does provide at least the illusion of more room. The wind management is superior to the bat wing. And with the mods I've done so far, it seems like it's going to be a great bike.

The Klock Werks shield was on it when I bought it, and it's perfect. Over the last few weeks, this is what I've accomplished:

Tall Boys floorboard brackets
Cycle Smith XL banana boards
Kuryakyn floorboard extenders
Extended brake and shift levers
Extended brake pedal and shift peg
KST 12" Straight Jacket bars
LePera Maverick DLL seat

Between the shark fairing and the mods I've made so far, I feel like I have much more room. Truthfully, I wish I had found this combination out years ago! But I'm lovin' it now. Next on the list is lighting, exhaust and rear suspension upgrade. The one area where the Victory really shines is in the suspension. The RGS suspension is crap compared to the Victory.

I reckon I'd look for some Road King standard length emulsion shocks, pronto. That ought to help things significantly, and that's a relatively inexpensive route. Obviously the sky's the limit cost-wise if you want to go with something other than H-D OEM.

Nice ride, btw! I'm thinking I may pick up a LePera DLL seat and backrest at some point here, just to have different seating options.

Old 08-07-2019, 01:08 PM
snerkler
Tourer
Received 103 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by lefty33
The Tall Boys Cycle kit are much better...I've had both. Granted I'm short at 6'3" but not sure I'd want to ride without them. They move the footboards ahead 2", lower them 2" (2 1/2" in the heal).
I also have the 1" spacers on that moves them out an inch. Caution: some warn against this as the footboard is out further (and down) and will impede cornering as it won't pivot/hinge up. Your call on this one.
I did initially have the Kury extenders on with the Tall Boys, but prefer the spacers. I've had it like this for 4 years now without any issues. I did do the mod that nevada72 "pioneered" (thank you!) to the left rear mount.
It comes from Tall Boys "square edged". See post #119 how he angled it off. If pics are not there, it's also pictured in post #275. This alone makes a huge difference when cornering.
Trimming my lowers was a small trade-off for the comfort. Good news is you don't have lowers on a Road King so no trimming required.
I've just been browsing this thread as I've just taken a Road King or a test ride, and whilst I really liked the bike I was far too cramped and uncomfortable. I started another thread (see here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...l#post18457710) but was directed to this thread.

I like the idea of lowering the boards but am concerned about what you said about the boards not hinging, which was confounded when I read this thread https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=54361.0

So from what I can gather, with the original set up if you scrape the boards they will pivot up so that there's a bit of 'give' when you scrape, but if you add the lowering kit this doesn't happen and so when you scrape there's no 'give' and therefore the contact could push you off track, or even lift a wheel. Why do the lowering brackets prevent the boards from pivoting?

Quick Reply: THE ULTIMATE TALL RIDER THREAD! (6'4 and above)