Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Running/Turn Signals

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 10:05 PM
ToyjoHa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Running/Turn Signals

I hooked up dual intensity lights to the rear turn signals. Here is the problem. The running lights work, but as soon as I attach the turn signals they turn off. The signal works, but the running lights do not unless I unplug them from the signal wires. To recap, the turn signals do not even have to be on for the running lights not to work.
Any thoughts as to why?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:39 AM
z71_fourwheelin
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Silly question but are you running the correct bulb? Thinking you should be running 1157 type

Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 AM
ToyjoHa
Intermediate

Running LEDs that are designed for the front signals with three wires one for ground, one for running, one for signals.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 AM
ToyjoHa
Intermediate

Another weird thing that I found. If I hook the running wires to the running wire on the bike then touch the signal wire on the light to the same running wire on the bike, it lights up like if should.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:40 AM
Smokengun
Tourer

If these are your only LED's on the bike you may need a load equalizer.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:49 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Almost sounds like you have one of the lamp leads set up for a ground, should be two contacts on the bulb base, each has a separate power supply, one running one turn signal, the base side wall is the ground side. We made flashing side lamps on the old GM's by adding a lamp inline to the running lamps to the turn signal with no ground, it could also be you are set up with the lamps in series rather than parallel with a poor ground.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:12 AM
ToyjoHa
Intermediate

There is no bulb. It is LED. It is 3 leads. Green (ground), Yellow (running), Brown (turn).
Here is how it works if I was to hook it up to a 9V.
Green to (-), Yellow to (+): lights up.
Green to (-), Yellow and Brown to (+): lights up brighter.
Green to (-), Yellow to (+), touching, removing, touching, removing, etc and Brown to (+): sold light with brighter light flashing as I touch and remove.
I am hooking it up to the wires under the tail light.
The Green to the main Black wire coming from the 3-plug in going to the tail light.
The yellow to the Red wire coming from the 3-plug in going to the tail light. (AKA running light).
The Brown to the Purple wire coming from the 2-plug that use to go to the old flasher.
When the Green and Yellow are hooked up it lights. As soon as I hook up the Brown (no matter if the flasher is on or not) the light turn off. As soon as I turn on the flasher, it flashes like it should.
It I unhook the Brown from the Purple, it comes back on, If I touch the Brown to the Red it lights brighter. If I touching, removing, touching, removing, etc it flashes.
Something else that I noticed. When I hook it up as described the dash flasher indicator lights up really dim like it is getting a little juice.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:37 PM
pinecroft
Cruiser

Check the wiring diagrams in your service manual. For my 06 street glide the red wire going to the taillight is the brake light not the tail running. There is a wire coded BEW (?color?) that is the taillight wire. Could be different on your bike but may be worth checking out. paul

Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 PM
ToyjoHa
Intermediate

I am 100% sure that I have the correct wires or my tail light and brake light would not work and they do.
Plus, considering that one alway has power to it and one only get power when the brakes are applied. It is kinda a no brainer. lol

Old 02-25-2013, 03:05 PM
ToyjoHa
Intermediate

Is it possible that I am getting some kind of feedback from the running lights that is causing them to shut off when connected to the flashers. Is there to test that theory maybe a diode on the sending wire of the flasher or a should it be on both wires?

Quick Reply: Rear Running/Turn Signals