Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

softest compound touring tire

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 09:30 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by JIMSFBL
I have run dunlop, dragons metzler and avons.

I Run Metz 880 on my street glide and I run Avon venoms on my FLHT.

No comparison as far as traction cornering, The AVON VENOM wins over ANY tire I've ever tried. Metz are good but not in the same league IMO.
I can understand Avon having a line of tires that last longer but why don't they make a Venom in a 180 like they do for the Cobra?
A softer compound tire diffidently gives a smoother ride over sharp bumps, up here in Mi that is most of our side roads.
I remember the very first time I drove my old Sporty with new venom's on the rear, the ride was so much smoother I thought the dealer forgot to put air in the tire.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:47 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Cool

Avon Cobra is the new Venom, as far as our Harleys are concerned. I don't know where the idea that they are 'harder' than Venoms comes from. Tyre development doesn't stand still.

Having ridden my Harleys on Avons since the 70s I see no reason to change brand. They have consistently given excellent grip, a smoother more comfortable ride and great wet weather performance. If you haven't tried them I suggest you do. I have a Cobra on the front and Storm on the rear of my Glide at present, although it is early days for both of them. The tread patterns look good!

Old 03-24-2013, 08:37 AM
texaswiz
Banned
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

A soft tire will give you fewer (8-10k) miles of use as opposed to a harder tire which will give you more (20-25k) miles of use. That said, the riders style of riding has a lot to do with mileage. The longest wearing Harley tire that I have ever seen are the dual compound tires that Dunlop is producing for the late model touring bikes. It is harder in the middle and softer on the sides.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:44 AM
flhtupser
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running the Michelin commander 2's on my Ultra right now and really like them. They ride great and handle great as well. Time will tell on the mileage. A friend has them as we'll and got great mileage on his rear and liked them as well.

Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by texaswiz
A soft tire will give you fewer (8-10k) miles of use as opposed to a harder tire which will give you more (20-25k) miles of use. That said, the riders style of riding has a lot to do with mileage. The longest wearing Harley tire that I have ever seen are the dual compound tires that Dunlop is producing for the late model touring bikes. It is harder in the middle and softer on the sides.
That style of tyre has been around since the 1980s at least, first on cars. I asked an engineer at Avon once why they don't use dual compound tyres. He smiled and explained that there are many ways of designing and constructing a tyre and they don't need to use dual compounds!

They are like dual-rate or progressive-rate suspension springs, for which there are also alternatives, so don't be taken in by marketting!

Old 03-24-2013, 09:24 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
That style of tyre has been around since the 1980s at least, first on cars. I asked an engineer at Avon once why they don't use dual compound tyres. He smiled and explained that there are many ways of designing and constructing a tyre and they don't need to use dual compounds!

They are like dual-rate or progressive-rate suspension springs, for which there are also alternatives, so don't be taken in by marketting!

Of course an Avon engineer is going to back their product. Doesn't mean it's correct either. Just his beliefs. Ask the same question of a Dunlop engineer, and he'll do his best to convince you their way is best.

Old 03-24-2013, 12:09 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Of course an Avon engineer is going to back their product. Doesn't mean it's correct either. Just his beliefs. Ask the same question of a Dunlop engineer, and he'll do his best to convince you their way is best.
Exactly the point I was making! Don't be taken in by hype.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:00 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

It's wet and cold in England most of the time...who else would make a better (sticky'er) bike tire !

Old 03-24-2013, 01:39 PM
chinookman
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently switched over to the Shinko 250 tour masters. Front and rear. So far I really like them. Very sticky and handle really well. I heard they are too soft and don't last long but I guess I will see.

Old 03-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Does a softer compound really translate to a smoother ride?
Nope. Ride is more affected by sidewall construction.

Quick Reply: softest compound touring tire