Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oxygen sensor plug removal problem any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2013, 06:50 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 547 Likes on 399 Posts

I thought I used anti seize on them. I'm not sure penetrating spray will do much good since those plugs have a bigger lip on the front of them. kinda to late anyway. I rounded out the inside. Its to tite of a space to get a drill in there and make a hole for a easy out. Those extractors in im's post might work. I'd try them if I had a set. I either just pull the 2-1 off and run the X pipe for a while and see what the difference is or put the other plug back on and continue to use the PC-V. The bike runs good with it.Thanks again for all the tips.

Old 04-13-2013, 07:01 PM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

if you can find a small pipe wrench, also a sink wrench may get it...
like this..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Basin-Wrench...item43ba629161

if you decide to go with with wrench make sure you buy a good one ..the cheap ones don't have sharp teeth and won't grip

Last edited by mrfikser; 04-13-2013 at 07:04 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:25 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

I think I'm going to try attaching a bolt with a hex head using JB weld inside the wollard out part of the plug. once it cures run the bike to heat up the pipe some and the using a 6 point socket try and break the plug loose and take it out. Probably use a grade 5 or 8 bolt.
any thoughts if this could work? Or am I delusional?

Old 04-18-2013, 09:37 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I would try an oversized allen or torx bit with a torch before removing the header. Heat that plug red hot, drive in the bit, remove the bit, reheat the plug, and turn the plug out like butter.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:38 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by heavymetalthunder
I think I'm going to try attaching a bolt with a hex head using JB weld inside the wollard out part of the plug. once it cures run the bike to heat up the pipe some and the using a 6 point socket try and break the plug loose and take it out. Probably use a grade 5 or 8 bolt.
Not a chance!

Old 04-18-2013, 09:53 PM
99ultra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can get at it with a chisel and get a good bite on the edge you may be able to loosen it that way. Once you break it loose should turn right out.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 PM
vickers1
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought I used anti seize on them. I'm not sure penetrating spray will do much good since those plugs have a bigger lip on the front of them. kinda to late anyway. I rounded out the inside. Its to tite of a space to get a drill in there and make a hole for a easy out. Those extractors in im's post might work. I'd try them if I had a set. I either just pull the 2-1 off and run the X pipe for a while and see what the difference is or put the other plug back on and continue to use the PC-V. The bike runs good with it.Thanks again for all the tips.
It's never too late to use penetrating oil, lip or no lip. As a matter of fact, I would be out there spraying it now.

Old 04-19-2013, 05:40 PM
Teachinator
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ran into the same problem with my son's 2000 Ultra. Once removed I replaced to plug with and 18 mm oil drain plug from Autozone and a copper gasket. Works great! Remember the anit-sieze.
PH

Old 04-25-2013, 09:12 AM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

UPDATE: I tried my brilliant idea above. Sprayed the plug with good penetrating spray. I tried to unscrew the plug and you guessed it the bolt spun off the plug. The JB weld did not hold.
You guys were right. It was a shallow attempt not to remove the pipe. Good news is bikeis not damaged. I put anti seize on thew front plug, screwed it back in and can now ride the bike till I make the switch. Thanks for all the responses.
HARDHEAD ... maybe that will be my new log on name. I prefer that to Dumba**

Old 04-25-2013, 09:59 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
and when done, remember to use antiseize on the new o2 sensors or bungs in the future

mike
Yup, anti-seize is your friend...

Quick Reply: Oxygen sensor plug removal problem any ideas?