Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Won’t Start After Draining & Filling Fuel Tank

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 08:30 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Won’t Start After Draining & Filling Fuel Tank

Hi guys -

During the winter I drained the tank by disconnecting the quick release then using a deep socket I unscrewed the fuel supply check valve. Today I poured a couple of gallons in it and it won’t start. Looking at the drawing in the SM I am now thinking that the fuel line inside the tank became disconnected from the fuel supply valve as I unscrewed it.

But the fuel pump runs and stops after a couple of seconds like normal leading me to believe that it is not disconnected otherwise the fuel pump wouldn’t stop because it wouldn’t pressurize.

Is it possible there is air entrapped in the line, say in the fuel filter?

Can anybody advise me on this? Tomorrow is the first good riding day of the season !

Last edited by Potato_Potato; 04-26-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:41 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

You may have twisted the fuel line and kinked it, if that's even possible. The pump would build pressure then shut off but the fuel can't get past the kink. Just a wild guess.

The only other possibility I can think of is that the quick connect isn't seated properly and not allowing fuel to get past it.

I hope it's the latter of the two, or it could be something completely different.

That's all I got.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:44 PM
Da-mack
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was the reason you drained the tank? Just asking.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:53 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by smithbrl
You may have twisted the fuel line and kinked it, if that's even possible. The pump would build pressure then shut off but the fuel can't get past the kink. Just a wild guess.

The only other possibility I can think of is that the quick connect isn't seated properly and not allowing fuel to get past it.

I hope it's the latter of the two, or it could be something completely different.

That's all I got.
I will check to see if it is seated properly in the morning by disconnecting and reconnecting. Might as well try the easy stuff first.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:01 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,920 Likes on 8,432 Posts

You would have to pull pretty hard on it to disconnect the fuel line from the canopy. Disconnect the fuel line from the tank and reconnect it. Be sure its clean and nothing is obstructing it from seating all the way.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:03 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Da-mack
What was the reason you drained the tank? Just asking.

Mostly because I have never done it and I was bored. I have always topped off the tank and stabilized the fuel for winter storage. This time I drained the tank and fogged it.

The winters in Minnesota are very, very long....

Old 04-26-2013, 09:08 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by EasternSP
You would have to pull pretty hard on it to disconnect the fuel line from the canopy. Disconnect the fuel line from the tank and reconnect it. Be sure its clean and nothing is obstructing it from seating all the way.
Thats good to hear because it was a PIA just pulling the pump out to change the fuel filter. I don't like working inside the tank.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:10 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

You most likely damaged the fuel line inside the tank and are not getting pressure to the injectors. The pump shutting off after two seconds does not necessarily indicate the system is pressurized, it is programmed to turn off after two seconds unless the bike is cranking over or running.

I'm sure that you have learned from your mistake, but for anyone else contemplating removing the fitting from the tank, you must remove the top plate and disconnect the the other end of the fuel line before removing the fitting. Otherwise the fuel line will just twist and kink as you unscrew the fitting. You might get lucky, but chances are you'll damage the line.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:21 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2black1s
You most likely damaged the fuel line inside the tank and are not getting pressure to the injectors. The pump shutting off after two seconds does not necessarily indicate the system is pressurized, it is programmed to turn off after two seconds unless the bike is cranking over or running.

I'm sure that you have learned from your mistake, but for anyone else contemplating removing the fitting from the tank, you must remove the top plate and disconnect the the other end of the fuel line before removing the fitting. Otherwise the fuel line will just twist and kink as you unscrew the fitting. You might get lucky, but chances are you'll damage the line.
I didn't know that about the fuel pump.

There doesn't seem to be much that holds the fuel line onto the valve.

Name:  CheckValve_zpsa43f2428.jpg
Views: 7183
Size:  127.5 KB

Old 04-26-2013, 09:46 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by smithbrl
Originally Posted by EasternSP
Disconnect the fuel line from the tank and reconnect it. Be sure its clean and nothing is obstructing it from seating all the way.

Have see that first hand on another bike.
After trying several times to start the bike (all it would do is crank, but not fire), he finally pulled the quick disconnect off and re-seated it.
Bike fired right up.

A fuel injected bike will not even begin to fire if the fuel pressure isn't good.

Quick Reply: Won’t Start After Draining & Filling Fuel Tank