Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch/Fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2013, 06:12 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Clutch fluid? Leaking around the 'clutch lever'?

I'm going to make a wild guess here...
You never bought a service manual for your bike did you?

Not being an ***, but hard to tell what you are trying to describe as where the leak is...
The 'clutch fluid' is actually primary fluid. The level should be at the bottom of the clutch spring retainer plate, which can be seen by removing the derby cover. The ring on the clutch pack with 6 hex head bolts in it is the clutch spring retainer plate. The oil should come to the lower edge of this plate. I believe the manual calls for 32oz on the '07. Earlier models were like 28oz.
(EDIT: The levels I indicated here are actually for the transmission. The primary capacity is 32oz, if I'm not mistaken.)

There is no 'clutch lever' connected to the primary cover. If you are saying the oil was forced up the clutch cable and leaked out on your hand at the clutch lever on the handlebar, then I'm kinda at a loss here. The primary fluid could theoretically flow through the main shaft in the transmission, and then overfill the transmission through the trap door cavity. But the transmission is vented through a hose behind the primary inner housing, on the transmission case. For it to flow up the clutch cable all the way to the handlebar lever, I would think that transmission vent may be plugged.

Get a turkey baster from the kitchen and suck out what needs to be removed from the transmission filler neck. (you might need to connect a hose to the end of the turkey baster). Check level with the transmission dip stick. For the primary, pull the derby cover off again, and check the level at bottom of the clutch spring retainer plate. Clean excess oil off of clutch cable, and see if that helps.
Your wild guess is wrong LOL Should have had my manual standing by tho.. I just over filled the damn thing... used a turkey baster ( not my wife's)
to remove excessive fluid

Old 07-04-2013, 06:14 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by smithbrl
Did you lube the clutch cable when you serviced your bikel?
New cable...came pre lubed

Old 07-04-2013, 06:18 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dickey
There is no primary (clutch) fluid where the clutch cable goes into the tranny; just tranny fluid.

Something's weird here!
The fluid was leaking from the clutch cable at the clutch lever... problem solved when excess fluid was removed.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:19 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Def Mute
Clutch fluid? Leaking around the 'clutch lever'?

I'm going to make a wild guess here...
You never bought a service manual for your bike did you?

Not being an ***, but hard to tell what you are trying to describe as where the leak is...
The 'clutch fluid' is actually primary fluid. The level should be at the bottom of the clutch spring retainer plate, which can be seen by removing the derby cover. The ring on the clutch pack with 6 hex head bolts in it is the clutch spring retainer plate. The oil should come to the lower edge of this plate. I believe the manual calls for 32oz on the '07. Earlier models were like 28oz.
(EDIT: The levels I indicated here are actually for the transmission. The primary capacity is 32oz, if I'm not mistaken.)

There is no 'clutch lever' connected to the primary cover. If you are saying the oil was forced up the clutch cable and leaked out on your hand at the clutch lever on the handlebar, then I'm kinda at a loss here. The primary fluid could theoretically flow through the main shaft in the transmission, and then overfill the transmission through the trap door cavity. But the transmission is vented through a hose behind the primary inner housing, on the transmission case. For it to flow up the clutch cable all the way to the handlebar lever, I would think that transmission vent may be plugged.

Get a turkey baster from the kitchen and suck out what needs to be removed from the transmission filler neck. (you might need to connect a hose to the end of the turkey baster). Check level with the transmission dip stick. For the primary, pull the derby cover off again, and check the level at bottom of the clutch spring retainer plate. Clean excess oil off of clutch cable, and see if that helps.
"But the transmission is vented through a hose behind the primary inner housing, on the transmission case. For it to flow up the clutch cable all the way to the handlebar lever, I would think that transmission vent may be plugged. " This was part of the problem... easy enough fix.

Old 07-04-2013, 06:21 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HDV-GLIDE
I read some of these posts and just shake my head.....
Seems like not everyone has your level of knowledge.. Looks like I don't lol

Old 07-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Jim
The fluid was leaking from the clutch cable at the clutch lever... problem solved when excess fluid was removed.

There is no way in hell that an overfilled tranny is going to push fluid into the cable, past the adjusters that are halfway up the cable, then pour out onto the clutch lever without pouring out of the vent hose on the tranny first.

It's not operating under any hydraulic pressure to do such a thing. Additionally the tranny shares the same air as the primary ( Ever notice that the adjuster screw on the clutch has a flat sided air vent?) And how do you plug a tranny vent? Never heard of any of this before today...

But overfilled or not, I'm glad you got it worked out, (somehow.)

Last edited by Stiggy; 07-04-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:58 PM
Joe2010ultra
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
There is no way in hell that an overfilled tranny is going to push fluid into the cable, past the adjusters that are halfway up the cable, then pour out onto the clutch lever without pouring out of the vent hose on the tranny first.

It's not operating under any hydraulic pressure to do such a thing. Additionally the tranny shares the same air as the primary ( Ever notice that the adjuster screw on the clutch has a flat sided air vent?) And how do you plug a tranny vent? Never heard of any of this before today...

But overfilled or not, I'm glad you got it worked out, (somehow.)
Ditto what he said above

Old 07-04-2013, 07:05 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

If you guys ride thru Georgetown ,Tx ... let me know...will have brisket & cold ones standing by... Ride safe !!!

Just watch out for the local SO... they have no sense of humor.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,550 Likes on 3,058 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Jim
If you guys ride thru Georgetown ,Tx ... let me know...will have brisket & cold ones standing by... Ride safe !!!

Just watch out for the local SO... they have no sense of humor.
I like brisket!

Old 07-04-2013, 07:15 PM
Harleycruiser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

He has got to be talking about a Hydraulic clutch.
Humm read again, never mind;-)

Last edited by Harleycruiser; 07-04-2013 at 07:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Clutch/Fluid question